Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane season? Tesla Solar is not ready [because owners can not charge from the grid on demand]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This^^^^^^^^^^

swedge was real nice when I pm'd him. You should PM him @niveknow. I now have a hybrid system that if I get enough sun for my X4 PW's, I'm good, but if not, I now have the ability to pull power from the grid at will with out any Tesla intervention. It's a fabulous feeling. I'm on a TOU program so I can pull, at will, from the cheapest period if I don't get enough sun.

Thanks again @swedge!!!!!
Since it is clear Tesla records EVERYTHING that happens with the products, I really have zero desire to risk losing my warranty support. But yes, it works, but, ...

Reactions: Electrph

This^^^^^^^^^^

swedge was real nice when I pm'd him. You should PM him @niveknow. I now have a hybrid system that if I get enough sun for my X4 PW's, I'm good, but if not, I now have the ability to pull power from the grid at will with out any Tesla intervention. It's a fabulous feeling. I'm on a TOU program so I can pull, at will, from the cheapest period if I don't get enough sun.

Thanks again @swedge!!!!!

What is your process to the hack? Do your PW's work for grid outage detection when solar is active which the post suggests may not work?

Since it is clear Tesla records EVERYTHING that happens with the products, I really have zero desire to risk losing my warranty support. But yes, it works, but, ...

Can you PM or send a link to how clear it is that Tesla is recording EVERYTHING?

PM or give a link to someone who's lost their warranty support for doing what I and others are doing.

With their crappy customer support and their hundreds of thousands of customers, you really think they'll being looking at your individual system and actually make an effort to contact you and tell you you're not suppose to be doing that?

Can you PM or send a link to how clear it is that Tesla is recording EVERYTHING?

PM or give a link to someone who's lost their warranty support for doing what I and others are doing.

With their crappy customer support and their hundreds of thousands of customers, you really think they'll being looking at your individual system and actually make an effort to contact you and tell you you're not suppose to be doing that?

There isnt any link needed. If you are using the tesla app, all that data is going to tesla. They definitely are recording everything that goes on with the powerwalls (they have to, to present anything to you in the tesla app).

Its very common for any access to IT systems to be logged, so not sure why you think tesla wouldnt be logging every access to the powerwalls.

As far as warranty support, like most things it would depend on what happened. The warranty on the powerwalls specifically has different warranty periods "if charged from solar" or if charged from the grid. There is also no reason for a homeowner who didnt self install their powerwalls to log in "as installer", so (for example) if someone messed up settings in there, or settings didnt stick, or it stopped working properly and a person called for support, they would likely be hit with an invoice for services.

As I said, everyones risk tolerance is different. You have chosen to take the actions that make sense to you, and thats great, but no one needs to prove that tesla logs everything, nor prove that any company will charge for issues that homeowners create by doing stuff "they are not supposed to".

Any response should be kept to generalities only. thanks

What is your process to the hack? Do your PW's work for grid outage detection when solar is active which the post suggests may not work?

@cali8484 as @jjrandorin has pointed out above, I can't really go in to detail. I'm actually surprised that swedges post is still present.

My PW's work just fine when the grid is out. I simulated this while I was pulling from the grid with the "go off grid" button and everything worked just fine. If the grid does go out while you're recieving solar then you'd have to go back in and change the settings to allow solar to be used again.

@cali8484 as @jjrandorin has pointed out above, I can't really go in to detail. I'm actually surprised that swedges post is still present.

My PW's work just fine when the grid is out. I simulated this while I was pulling from the grid with the "go off grid" button and everything worked just fine. If the grid does go out while you're recieving solar then you'd have to go back in and change the settings to allow solar to be used again.

in my opinion, that post is "just" general enough that I could leave it there so members could PM each other about the topic if desired. I also know for a fact that there are tesla employees that read TMC in general (I have spoken to one directly performing moderation duties in fact, but that was not for something in this specific subforum).

There are also a few people who have mentioned that they were contacted by someone from tesla after posting in this or that thread in this specific section. I just believe its best to keep that stuff in generalities, at least in the public threads.

Reactions: h2ofun
There isnt any link needed. If you are using the tesla app, all that data is going to tesla. They definitely are recording everything that goes on with the powerwalls (they have to, to present anything to you in the tesla app).

Its very common for any access to IT systems to be logged, so not sure why you think tesla wouldnt be logging every access to the powerwalls.

As far as warranty support, like most things it would depend on what happened. The warranty on the powerwalls specifically has different warranty periods "if charged from solar" or if charged from the grid. There is also no reason for a homeowner who didnt self install their powerwalls to log in "as installer", so (for example) if someone messed up settings in there, or settings didnt stick, or it stopped working properly and a person called for support, they would likely be hit with an invoice for services.

As I said, everyones risk tolerance is different. You have chosen to take the actions that make sense to you, and thats great, but no one needs to prove that tesla logs everything, nor prove that any company will charge for issues that homeowners create by doing stuff "they are not supposed to".

I rest my case because I'm not going to get in to a back and forth with you.

easy fix

charging-solar-panel-light-with-incandescent-bulb-1024x1024.png

Reactions: Flick75
Not a tax professional and not giving legal advice either, but if you took the federal tax credit for your Powerwalls and then charge them from the grid make sure to give that money back to the feds or you are committing tax fraud.

Good tip. I hope people that are out there doing that didn't take the federal tax credit. But, frankly, it's really none of our business if they did or not.

Good tip. I hope people that are out there doing that didn't take the federal tax credit. But, frankly, it's really none of our business if they did or not.
pretty good bet EVERYONE who had it presented to them took the tax credit and then would now be rolling the dice they dont get caught and for something like this yea slim chance ... i still wouldn't do it personally but as stated in thread everyone has their own risk limit

Reactions: Flick75
(Moderator note)

There are certain topics that are almost guaranteed to, lets say "bring passionate responses / debate". One of those topics in this particular subform is "charging from the grid" and all the discussion around it, including speculation on why tesla has it that way, etc etc.

I am going to remind people reading the thread that this particular thread was about the OP's frustration around not being able to charge from the grid on demand, and storm watch mode not providing backup in the way the OP would like to see it (along with some outside references on steps OP can take should they so wish to do so, with their own risk tolerance).

I am going to remind people that any discussion needs to stay polite.

Thanks

Reactions: CyberGus and bmah
So you'll delete my post because you found it rude and offensive but won't delete jhn_ post that was rude and lecturing. At the same time you'll let a completely OT discussion that was started by jhn_ stay in this forum. Even after I asked nicely to remove the OT discussion all together you still couldn't do it to be fair to all party's. Unbelievable. Talk about a biased forum moderator.

The thing is, it wasnt an "OT discussion" as discussion on charging from the grid naturally brings in discussions of taxes as to why tesla has it disabled. I made a determination that, even though taxes and charging from the grid go together, it likely shouldnt go on in this thread, so made the statement I did to head it off.

I could discuss the rest of this with you in PMs if you want, but we are not going to do it here in this thread in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.