Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane season? Tesla Solar is not ready [because owners can not charge from the grid on demand]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@cali8484 as @jjrandorin has pointed out above, I can't really go in to detail. I'm actually surprised that swedges post is still present.

My PW's work just fine when the grid is out. I simulated this while I was pulling from the grid with the "go off grid" button and everything worked just fine. If the grid does go out while you're recieving solar then you'd have to go back in and change the settings to allow solar to be used again.

Thanks but I really don't get what's the warranty concern. You own the PW and it is perfectly capable of charging from the grid. What damage can happen from the PW charging from the grid? And if no damage then what is warranty support problem?

It's a combination of things here. The warranty issue may arise some how if you flub a setting and some how cause damage to your system.

The second issue is IF Tesla is listening (I'm done with my crusade @jjrandorin) and they see you charging from the grid, then they could try and figure out if you excepted the ITC (federal solar credit) which says you're basically supposed to get a 100% of your power to charge your PW's from the sun. Long story short, they could possibly try to report you to the IRS and say that you're charging from the grid and may force you somehow to pay back a portion or all of the ITC that you claimed for tax purposes.

@jjrandorin I understand the above tax portion may be removed given your previous statement about tax talk but I thought I'd throw it in there as an agreement that the two issues of charging from the grid and the ITC credit do go hand in hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
We get power outages every week as our supplier, PG&E seems to enjoy seeing how many homes they can cut off. Our power walls blip on in 1/300th of a second, barely enough to notice, and we sit and finish watching out TV program, then get ready for bed, leaving the AC running. The well pump and pressure pump cycle as I take a shower. In the morning I turn the lights on and toast some bread, and then get out my phone and check the app. Well! The power was restored at 3AM. But that means nothing. If only my power company were as reliable as my power walls.
Side note, I saw they cut off power to Angwin yesterday and immediately thought of you. I hope your powerwalls served you well and kept things powered. Stay safe!

Today's CNN headline as we enter day 2 of our Nor'easter in Massachusetts:

As nor'easter drenches the East Coast, thousands have lost power and high winds threaten more outages​

By Monica Garrett, Jason Hanna and Dave Hennen, CNN
Updated 5:12 AM ET, Wed October 27, 2021

---

Almost 300,000 are without power here in Massachusetts. We lost our power once so far. Is Storm Watch active on my Powerwalls? No! Storm Watch is a great idea, but as implemented by Tesla, it's a total failure.

Almost 300,000 are without power here in Massachusetts. We lost our power once so far. Is Storm Watch active on my Powerwalls? No! Storm Watch is a great idea, but as implemented by Tesla, it's a total failure.
Did you turn the option "Storm Watch" to "On" on your device prior to the storm? I had it on and system was properly activated and charged on Monday night.

Reactions: jhn_
Today's CNN headline as we enter day 2 of our Nor'easter in Massachusetts:

As nor'easter drenches the East Coast, thousands have lost power and high winds threaten more outages​

By Monica Garrett, Jason Hanna and Dave Hennen, CNN
Updated 5:12 AM ET, Wed October 27, 2021

---

Tesla gets information from local weather, utilities, and other authorities. Do your local authorities issue warnings to various communities for power outages?

Status
Not open for further replies.