Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Gen 2 restarts charging after pressing release button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my HPWC has recently started behaving differently. Usually when connected to the car which is charging, pressing the button on the handle stopped the charging, the ring on the charge port turns from flashing green to white, the charge port unlocked, and I can remove the handle from the car.

Rencwntly I have noticed when I press the button on the handle that the charging stops momentarily then starts back up charging again (charge port goes from flashing green to white then back to flashing green). Sometimes when if I’m not fast enough to remove the handle while, the HPWC indicator turns red and I have to turn the breaker off and back on to reset it.

I’ve noticed it on both my Model X and Model S. So I don’t think it’s car dependent. Also, if I stop charging on the car center screen, the charging stops and the charge port ring color remains white and there is no problem removing the cable.

Anyone else experience this or know what may be happening?

You actually need to press and hold the button. This keeps the charging from restarting and locking the cable. Once the cable is clear of the car, you can release the button. Otherwise, as you noticed the car will quickly relock the cable and resume charging once the button is released.

It's also similar when using the J1772 adapter. When done, you press and hold the release button on the handle. Once you hear the car unlock, you pull both the handle and adapter out at the same time. You can then separate the adapter from the handle and then stop pressing the release button.

Rencwntly I have noticed when I press the button on the handle that the charging stops momentarily then starts back up charging again (charge port goes from flashing green to white then back to flashing green).
That's how mine has been behaving for five years.

You actually need to press and hold the button. This keeps the charging from restarting and locking the cable. Once the cable is clear of the car, you can release the button. Otherwise, as you noticed the car will quickly relock the cable and resume charging once the button is released.
Yep--this.