Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Tesla demo FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty funny that @electronblue @Bladerskb for a long time wanted to argue when I said Mobileye has very little knowhow (real not powerpoint) in machine learning not to mention it was against it not too long ago. All of sudden it is only a vision chip maker when things did not work out, which exactly what it is.

And these two clowns never respond when people say Mobileye was a scam. They just don't want this discussed.

Pretty funny that @electronblue @Bladerskb for a long time wanted to argue when I said Mobileye has very little knowhow (real not powerpoint) in machine learning not to mention it was against it not too long ago. All of sudden it is only a vision chip maker when things did not work out, which exactly what it is.

And these two clowns never respond when people say Mobileye was a scam. They just don't want this discussed.

If ME is a scam, then so is Tesla lmao

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
Yes, so basically it is like this:

- Up until recently, MobilEye only sold vision chips for ADAS features (integrating these was up to the manufacturer), indeed Tesla made Autopilot 1 like this (this has gone on since the noughties)
- Now MobilEye also sells a full ADAS solution that is not yet deployed in any consumer car, this is quite recent and based on the EyeQ4 chip that launched last year that features both vision + driving policy option
- MobilEye also develops a full self-driving system (Level 4) in-house, this is so far not sold to anyone but is based on the same chips of course

Car makers have various reasons of course but one main reason is their tight integration with their supplier network. Traditionally car manufacturers (in recent decades) have focused on design and a small subset of the car themselves (like the engine) and bought the rest from their supplier network. So far ADAS has been more about checking a box on the feature list than something to worry about so they’ve been shopping what their supplier network can easily supply them. This is why the ADAS systems have been quite lackluster...

The another reason is that most car manufacturers do have in-house programs for full autonomy (using MobilEye chips) and car responsible driving at SAE Levels 3 and above. They are putting more resources in these but the plans to deploy those to the consumer fleet are seriously lagging. In the meanwhile they are letting their supplier network do their mediocre dance in the ADAS space.

Mind you, this mediocrity does not always mean ”worse than Tesla” or anything of the sort. Many of these ADAS systems do have features Tesla owners can currently dream about. But the significant issue is that there is a lack of boldness when it comes to actual self-driving in this setup. Tesla has this boldness and that is one reason Autopilot 1 both succeeded and, well, also failed a little at the same time. :) But it does set Tesla apart and Tesla made great use of MobilEye’s 2014 technology...

Thank you so much for a well written, logical explanation. If you ask me, your post should be made a sticky at the top of every discussion on these forums about Mobileye because it explains a lot about them that one may not know from casually reading this forum, and Mobileye vs Tesla is brought up often on these forums. Your explanations for why some auto mfrs don't use Mobileye made much more sense than "they want mediocrity".

Maybe so but Google/Waymo had test cars running around Mountain View everyday years ago and still does not have real things to show. You have no idea how these were run unless there are third party observers who did not sign NDA in the car.

Remote operators probably will always be required for truly "driverless" cars. At least someone needs to intervene in case the car is stuck because of accident, weather condition, etc..
There are some videos on youtube of Waymo One rides. Pretty boring of course but I guess that's a good thing!
I believe the Waymo vehicles can be remote controlled if they are ever able to get rid of the safety driver.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
I believe the Waymo vehicles can be remote controlled if they are ever able to get rid of the safety driver.

I love that Waymo has that screen for the passenger that displays such an accurate display of the car's surroundings including pop up messages telling the passenger what the car plans to do.

And I did notice that the safety driver appeared to be manually driving at the very start of the drive.

But in terms of the car's self-driving, I am confident that Tesla will be able to do the exact same demo at some point, especially with AP3.

I love that Waymo has that screen for the passenger that displays such an accurate display of the car's surroundings including pop up messages telling the passenger what the car plans to do.

And I did notice that the safety driver appeared to be manually driving at the very start of the drive.

But in terms of the car's self-driving, I am confident that Tesla will be able to do the exact same demo at some point, especially with AP3.
The passenger claims that the car was in autonomous mode the whole time and that the screen color changes and there is chime when it switches to manual control (which it didn't on this ride). I wonder if there is something that alerts the safety driver to hold the wheel when the car is less confident about its ability to navigate a situation.
Why imao? Do you know you can go buy or drive a Tesla and figure it out yourself how it really is?
You can also buy cars with Mobileye chipsets, there are way more of them than there are Teslas.

The passenger claims that the car was in autonomous mode the whole time and that the screen color changes and there is chime when it switches to manual control (which it didn't on this ride). I wonder if there is something that alerts the safety driver to hold the wheel when the car is less confident about its ability to navigate a situation.

Perhaps. I did not notice any chime or alert for the safety driver but maybe it is more subtle so as not to worry the passenger.

In this screenshot, the car is approaching an intersection where the lane splits and shifts to the right. Maybe the safety driver just wanted to make sure the car handled it correctly? The car appears to still be in autonomous mode but the safety driver clearly has his hands on his wheel and guides the steering wheel.

upload_2019-4-21_18-41-25.png

I am trying to have a good-faith discussion about the various pros and cons of ”Autonomous Vehicles” technology providers and makers — the forum topic. Unfortunately I have not seen good faith from you for a long while now so I agree I am not so inclined to go down such rabbit holes as MobilEye-the-scam. Safe to say I don’t think they are.

MobilEye makes and ships robust computer vision chips for cars. Their handicap in this race is that they need OEMs to deploy that. If you recall I have many times said I feel Tesla has a deployment advantage — and this is one area where that advantage shows. That said I do believe MobilEye’s computer vision is miles ahead of Tesla at this time.

I have also been vocal in my belief that for a consumer currently Tesla is the best bet for advanced ADAS because of Tesla’s boldness and their deployment advantage. I don’t personally believe it is the best ADAS technology in existence — not by a long shot — but I do believe it currently represents the most promising one a consumer can make use of. That’s why I drive an AP2 Tesla with FSD bought.

I do think likely car responsible driving solutions (aka Level 3+) will probably come first from MobilEye using traditional automakers though, not Tesla. Car responsible driving requires orders of magnitude higher robustness and that is something MobilEye can provide sooner than Tesla — unless OEMs are too slow again...

Last edited:
Therefore I find it quite likely that in the not too distant future we find ourselves in an interesting twilight zone: there will be cars on the roads that can do advanced urban semi-autonomous driving like Teslas but can’t do car responsible driving... and then there will be cars — but not those same cars — that can’t do urban semi-autonomous driving but can do autonomous, car responsible driving on the freeway at Level 3-4...

Read a book on highway while the car drives for you or have a car that can pretty much drive for you all the time but will require you looking ahead in all scenarios? It may well come down to an either-or-choice for a car buyer in the next few years.

Frankly, I’m not sure what my choice would be, given that choice. Being able to legally and safely read a book or emails while on highway would be great feature but at the same time an ever-improving Level 2 urban ADAS is very interesting too.

There are some videos on youtube of Waymo One rides. Pretty boring of course but I guess that's a good thing!

Waymo has done driverless rides too. There is even one pilot customer who confirms in an interview they had gotten a ride without a safety driver. They described how they paid special attention on that ride for obvious reasons. :)

You can also buy cars with Mobileye chipsets, there are way more of them than there are Teslas.

I know. That's why I said it's a scam. They've been selling vision chips but are trying to make everyone to think they are as advanced as Waymo or Tesla, or whoever are leaders in the autonomous driving field. Their presentations often bring up the subject of machine learning, the backbone of modern AI and self driving technology, to make the impressing they know what they are doing. They in fact have absolutely nothing to show, not to mention they were dead set against that not too long ago. Even those two perennial forum Mobileye defenders stopped mentioning machine learning which they used to be adamant that it's important and Mobilieye is leading the field. If they do not have any relationships with Mobileye then they are just another victims of the scam.

• Funny
Reactions: TheTron
I know. That's why I said it's a scam. They've been selling vision chips but are trying to make everyone to think they are as advanced as Waymo or Tesla, or whoever are leaders in the autonomous driving field. Their presentations often bring up the subject of machine learning, the backbone of modern AI and self driving technology, to make the impressing they know what they are doing. They in fact have absolutely nothing to show, not to mention they were dead set against that not too long ago. Even those two perennial forum Mobileye defenders stopped mentioning machine learning which they used to be adamant that it's important and Mobilieye is leading the field. If they do not have any relationships with Mobileye then they are just another victims of the scam.

I can’t speak for @Bladerskb but personally I have just grown tired of trying to discuss anything with you since there is no give and take, no real back and forth. You have your view, I have mine and it has come a time to just agree to disagree.

I don’t have any relationship with MobilEye but I do think I was probably scammed by Tesla in 2016 with ”Level 5 capable hardware”, does that count? :D

I am happy to discuss MobilEye — pros and cons — with anyone interested in genuine exchange of ideas and thoughts. And machine learning too, preferably with people who know what it means.

Therefore I find it quite likely that in the not too distant future we find ourselves in an interesting twilight zone: there will be cars on the roads that can do advanced urban semi-autonomous driving like Teslas but can’t do car responsible driving... and then there will be cars — but not those same cars — that can’t do urban semi-autonomous driving but can do autonomous, car responsible driving on the freeway at Level 3-4...

Read a book on highway while the car drives for you or have a car that can pretty much drive for you all the time but will require you looking ahead in all scenarios? It may well come down to an either-or-choice for a car buyer in the next few years.

Frankly, I’m not sure what my choice would be, given that choice. Being able to legally and safely read a book or emails while on highway would be great feature but at the same time an ever-improving Level 2 urban ADAS is very interesting too.

I think you are right. In some ways, we are already seeing what you describe. We have Waymo that has really good city self-driving. But we have Tesla with Nav on AP that is heading towards highway self-driving.

I think some folks seem to assume that we will get 1 winner in the self-driving race. But I think it is more likely that we will get multiple winners. We already have about a dozen companies working on self-driving cars. And these companies are taking slightly different approaches too. So it is likely that we will get several good self-driving systems, with their own pros and cons. And considering that different auto makers may adopt different systems. Tesla cars of course use the Tesla system. Some auto makers may use their own in-house self-driving system. Others may just adopt Mobileye's system. As you said, this will lead to car buyers having a choice of which self-driving system they prefer. On one hand, choice is a good thing for car buyers. On the other hand, it may make self-driving more difficult if you have lots of different systems in different cars that all behave differently on the road.

I can’t speak for @Bladerskb but personally I have just grown tired of trying to discuss anything with you since there is no give and take, no real back and forth. You have your view, I have mine and it has come a time to just agree to disagree.

I don’t have any relationship with MobilEye but I do think I was probably scammed by Tesla in 2016 with ”Level 5 capable hardware”, does that count? :D

I am happy to discuss MobilEye — pros and cons — with anyone interested in genuine exchange of ideas and thoughts. And machine learning too, preferably with people who know what it means.

I put you and Blader together only because you two often are playing the same tune. I think you are the victim rather than instigator although that does not necessarily put you in better light.

I do think likely car responsible driving solutions (aka Level 3+) will probably come first from MobilEye using traditional automakers though, not Tesla. Car responsible driving requires orders of magnitude higher robustness and that is something MobilEye can provide sooner than Tesla — unless OEMs are too slow again...

That's what Mobileye was trying to sell to cover that they do not have anything to show. They've been advocating and lobbying agencies to SLOW DOWN the development. They are advocate that when they are leading the field? That's why George Hotz was having a hard time to hide his dislike of the company and the hypocrisy. I will find some of that to post here.

Last edited:
In this screenshot, the car is approaching an intersection where the lane splits and shifts to the right. Maybe the safety driver just wanted to make sure the car handled it correctly? The car appears to still be in autonomous mode but the safety driver clearly has his hands on his wheel and guides the steering wheel.
Yeah, I think it's impossible to tell just like when you hold the wheel with autosteer. I sure hope people are holding the wheel if Tesla releases level 2 FSD!
@CarlK, were you short MobileEye when they were public? You seem to have a lot of hostility towards them! :p
MobilEye does have cool FSD demos!

@CarlK, were you short MobileEye when they were public? You seem to have a lot of hostility towards them! :p

No and I'm glad I didn't. They are even better (worse) than I thought. Not in my wildest imagination I could believe that they could scam Intel to pay that much for the company.

I first came to know the company when it was a Tesla supplier and learn of its dishonest behavior when the separation happened. We now know Tesla long had a plan to go its own ways and get rid of Mobileye dependence. Those are all supported by facts (recruiting of chip designers Jim Keller and Peter Bannon and attempt to recruit George Hotz all before the separation) and leaked stories that made sense (Tesla was developing it's own program and not sharing it with Mobileye). Mobileye did a you did not fire me I quit act and blamed Tesla's misuse of its chips as the reason. Why would a company want to get rid of its most important customer if the company still wants your product? Worst is why do you want to bad mouth and hurt your customer just to cover your own ass? Nvidia on the contrary was very classy when the same happened to its relationship with Tesla. It only said we appreciate the business and still welcome you if you decide to come back. It did negatively affect Nvidia stock price so I'm not sure who is smarter than whom even though I know who is more honest.

I started to pay attention and the more I look the more I feel how dishonest the company is. Many are mentioned by myself and other posters in this thread. It's a fair game of course, dishonesty can not even prevent you from being the most powerful person in the world, but I just don't want to be a victim of that.

Thank you so much for a well written, logical explanation. If you ask me, your post should be made a sticky at the top of every discussion on these forums about Mobileye because it explains a lot about them that one may not know from casually reading this forum, and Mobileye vs Tesla is brought up often on these forums. Your explanations for why some auto mfrs don't use Mobileye made much more sense than "they want mediocrity".

Unfortunately it is just them lacking ambition and being incompetent.

I respect @electronblue opinion and what he laid out in his post was great from an outside looking in. I wish i was just being pessimistic but its not the case. I'm looking from the inside looking out. I think @S4WRXTTCS and @diplomat33 should see this too.

You have Toyota who are still testing in test tracks and Mcity Test Facility. You have GM who didn't even have any internal autonomous development and were saved by acquiring Cruise Automation. You have Ford who were still testing in Mcity Test Facility and test tracks before being saved by taking ownership of Argo.AI. You have Toyota who in 2015 said they won't develop autonomous cars then changed their mind in 2017 and today still tests only in test track and in Mcity Test Facility.

Then you have Mercedes who has ZERO test cars currently, the couple test cars they had in california were averaging a disengagement every 1 miles which have now been pulled and are now only trying to deploy a-couple cars through BOSCH this year. Every year they show up at CES driving around in parking lots looking like damn fools!

Has Mercedes just given up?
Has Mercedes Just Given Up? The 2019 Edition…
The Frightening Low Ambition Level of German Carmakers in Regards to Autonomous Driving

You have to ask yourself, do they have any shame? Now they crawled to BMW to help them earlier in the year and with that deal BMW ended INEXt, it will no longer be Level 3. It will be a Level 2+ system. But can the blind lead the blind? (We will find out later, keep reading!)

Then you have VW who created Audi's AID after shutting down piloted driving which actually had a good highway system with autonomous lane change that they could have easily released as a Level 2+ system but is now dead, with code sitting somewhere in a repository collecting dust, which means there will be no more Level 3 or 4 highway system from them) are now just deploying like 5 cars this year for testing. This is pathetic.

I could go on and on and name Volvo, Jaguar, Hyundai, Honda and break them all down individually, but whats the point? They are all clueless.

This is in contrast to silicon valley companies with hundreds of cars deployed and millions/hundreds of thousands of miles in testing. Traditional automakers are clueless and will NEVER have internally developed self driving cars. This isn't pessimism, its just fact.

Now for direct comparison. Let's take a look at BMW. Remember that BMW and Mobileye have a close partnership, BMW uses Mobileye's EyeQ4 and will use their EyeQ5. It wasn't until a-couple weeks when a source told me that Mobileye said BMW is going their own route for driving policy and were adamant that BMW was doing the driving policy themselves and Mobileye is only providing closed sensing EyeQ5 and then an open programmable EyeQ5 . Which is what I have always suspected.

Currently right now they are are both using the production EyeQ4 and 8 camera system. But there's a slight difference because BMW is also using radars and Lidars in-addition. So BMW must be showcasing some awesome state of the art self driving right?

Well let's take a look.

Here is BMW trying to demo their Level 3 system. Watch closely as they edit out the driver hitting the turn signals to change lanes. As you can see their driving policy is so bad that it can't change lanes by itself as of June 2017. this is embarrassing.

9:00 mins

Here is another video as they demo their Level 4 system. Its L4 so this must be good. Oh wait its a test track demo.

Well third time's the charm right. So BMW invites dozens of journalists for test drives in 2018, so this must be good. Oh wait its another test drive around a closed off parking lot. WTF?

Fourth time, this must be it. BMW announces they are testing in china now, this must be the goods we have all been waiting on... wait is that a video of a car driving slowly struggling to do a turn after wheel jerking into a lane change beforehand on an completely empty road? WTF?

This is a joke right? No This is the traditional automakers, this is all they have to offer. Can the blind lead the blind? Ofcourse not.

As you can see the automakers are CLUELESS. They will never have a autonomous car unless its from a silicon valley company they either own or partner with and use their complete system. If it was Tesla vs traditional auto companies, Tesla would be 10 years ahead in self driving. Its not even close. But fortunately its not. Its Tesla versus Mobileye versus other silicon valley companies.

But here is Mobileye using the EXACT SAME EyeQ4 demonstrating state of the art aggressive and assertive driving. They have done hundreds of test rides to journalists and others. They give test rides to government leaders regularly aswell. As you can see, same perception chip, yet the gap in driving policy is like the gap between heaven and earth.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's impossible to tell just like when you hold the wheel with autosteer. I sure hope people are holding the wheel if Tesla releases level 2 FSD!
MobilEye does have cool FSD demos!
I am blown away by that demo, and it said "happening today". So i went and searched for satisfied and very happy customer reviews and testimonials and videos.

Still looking... Daniel please help me.

I respect @electronblue opinion and what he laid out in his post was great from an outside looking in. I wish i was just being pessimistic but its not the case. I'm looking from the inside looking out. I think @S4WRXTTCS and @diplomat33 should see this too.

I like the way you present your view too and I have no qualms about it.

What I meant by being more optimistic though is I put a little more odds on the traditional automakers seeing light here and when they do, MobilEye has a solution for them. Ironically enough it may be Tesla that pushes them into the arms of MobilEye. :)

Also I have a little more faith in a couple of traditional automakers pushing the envelope regionally with Level 3 systems in the next year or two and that changing the conversation also. Even with limitations, if and when someone manages to sell car responsible driving in some market, that will be a big deal.

Mind you this is not any kind of prediction really. It is just the gut-feeling I have about this at the moment.

Keep the info coming, it is well appreciated.