Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will full self driving handle this ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
111D49DA-214E-49BD-8D3C-04AEF8E27D35.png

Well, the easy safe answer is to drive the zone at 15 mph at all times.

Or they could use the camera NNs to identify pedestrians and drive at 15 if any are present.

Eventually they might assess pedestrians by size to react only when small ones are present, but I doubt that'd happen soon.

• Funny
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
In a few years better than humans. In fact it will probably be a little too strict and in this case ONLY go 15mph (not 16mph). This will be much slower than "normal" traffic that will consider 20 to 25mph very slow and within compliance.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Follow the lower limit, but allow the owner to set case-by-case exceptions for individual school zones in their area, and allow fine-tuning for times of day and days of the week. Case-by-case exceptions would come with prominent warnings about the owner's responsibility for compliance.

Eventually local districts will need to update a database with dates and times for speed restrictions.

This is the kind of stuff that makes Elon's assertion that FSD will be "feature complete" by the end of the year absurd. If they were anywhere near being "feature complete" the current version would work able to do common stuff, like traffic lights and stop signs, no problem and only need to work on edge cases like this. But as we've all seen it can't even avoid hitting traffic cones on the highway at high speed, let alone read a sign like this and automatically determine if there are children present.

My point is.... real FSD is years away, not months. We'll get there, but unless you plan to keep your car for a LONG time paying for it now is probably a bad investment.

The bigger question, IMO, is how does law enforcement stop the vehicle if it IS speeding through a zone like that (perhaps the optics don't see a child that's behind a bush or tree, same as a human might miss)? The officer saw the child and you speeding, thus assuming you (er, your car) saw the child. No one is in the car to plead their case, if the car does respond to emergency light flashing.

The bigger question, IMO, is how does law enforcement stop the vehicle if it IS speeding through a zone like that (perhaps the optics don't see a child that's behind a bush or tree, same as a human might miss)? The officer saw the child and you speeding, thus assuming you (er, your car) saw the child. No one is in the car to plead their case, if the car does respond to emergency light flashing.

The car can say it didn't see the kid just as convincingly as you can say it, and get ticketed anyway just like you would.

Actually, the car could probably pay back its record of the recent drive and prove it didn't see the kid, even that the kid was legitimately never in the car's line of sight - but a zone like that you'll probably still get the ticket.

This is the kind of stuff that makes Elon's assertion that FSD will be "feature complete" by the end of the year absurd. If they were anywhere near being "feature complete" the current version would work able to do common stuff, like traffic lights and stop signs, no problem and only need to work on edge cases like this. But as we've all seen it can't even avoid hitting traffic cones on the highway at high speed, let alone read a sign like this and automatically determine if there are children present.

My point is.... real FSD is years away, not months. We'll get there, but unless you plan to keep your car for a LONG time paying for it now is probably a bad investment.
So very much this.^^

Software version 10 is going to have to be completely eye-watering in order for FSD to be "feature complete" by the end of the year.

Who knows, maybe V10 is going to really blow us away, but I'm not counting on it.

Even with FSD being in such a poor state currently, I love the car so much that FSD isn't as important to me now as it used to be; I like to drive the car, and don't want the computer to have all the fun.

I look at the money I gave Elon and company for FSD the same way I look at money that I'd give a Kickstarter campaign that I believe in and want to support.

I think perhaps there will need to be a universal standard for signs like that. Or there could be some communication device in certain areas on signs like that in conjunction with map data. It’s a good question!

I wonder how FSD will respond at an intersection in a left turn lane and the green light is out. Oddball things like that. Does the car just sit there? Maybe they need to be able to “remote in” on cars that get stuck or hung up and initiate control?

All humans will have networked embedded chips with unique IDs. The car will be able to note the presence of all humans in the area, and check their IDs against a database to determine whether any of them are children. If so, slow to 15mph.

Doesn’t that scenario make you feel comfy?

My guess is that initially they will have school zones identified in the mapping database and the car will observe the school zone speed limit even if no children are present. You will have to override the slower speed if you choose to do so. I think we are many years away from the computer being able to identify if children are present.

Why would this hard? Camera vision can already recognize people. So just code it that if the cameras detect people on the side of the road or crossing the street, to use the 15 mph limit. If you really want to be literal, you could even program the car to know the difference between an adult and a child. The camera vision can see if the person is small, then it is a child.

But the easiest and safest way to implement it, would be just to flag that area on the map as a school zone and to always use the 15 mph at all times when the GPS detects that you are in a school zone. Or use the camera vision to read the sign and just always use the 15 mph when it sees the sign and ignore the "when children are present caveat".

Reactions: qdeathstar