Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will a delay of model X impact share price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are hints that the model X will only be available towards later 2015, and who knows if delays would stop there. This probably affects the bottom line, especially given what it says about what we can expect for model 3.

[edit: clarification, It wasn't the intention to just come here and spread doom & gloom. But rather hope to get some new information on how this might turn out.]

Last edited:
There are hints that the model X will only be available towards later 2015, and who knows if delays would stop there. This probably affects the bottom line, especially given what it says about what we can expect for model 3.

[edit: clarification, It wasn't the intention to just come here and spread doom & gloom. But rather hope to get some new information on how this might turn out.]

Do you have any verifiable information that would substantiate that the Model X has been delayed?

I suspect the validity of this model X delay rumor.
First, dual-motor is one of the key challenges to achieve good efficiency and maintain good range for model X, right now dual-motor technology has been demonstrated in model S "D" version;
Second, gull-wing door, I doubt it would be the cause of model X release;
Third, Elon hinted that 2H of 2015 will have significant net profit, I assume he referrs to model X volume delivery. In order to make sure volume delivery from Q3, limited (signature) delivery should start from Q2 as guided by TM

Even in worst case, model X gets delayed, I believe it must have good business reason instead of technical/production issues.

How would it impact share price? There's been so many articles about it this past couple weeks that I can guarantee a delay is already priced in.

That said, there's been zero indication of such a delay, only a lot of "analysts" (people who are wrong far more often than they are right when it comes to Tesla) predicting it. So if Tesla meets it's claimed target, the stock should climb.

It appears that delay is almost a given as there have been no deliveries in Q2 and there will not be any deliveries in Q3 of 2015. so there should be some concern re official story from Tesla that they expect to deliver 5,000 model X cars in 2015.

It appears that delay is almost a given as there have been no deliveries in Q2 and there will not be any deliveries in Q3 of 2015. so there should be some concern re official story from Tesla that they expect to deliver 5,000 model X cars in 2015.
? They set the expectations of no deliveries in Q2 back in November of last year. So far they are still saying September which is still Q3. They only need to deliver 1 to be 'on schedule.'

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...C3E-4216-9CE3-7FB4D7E0C00B/Q314 SHL Final.pdf

So far they are still saying September which is still Q3. They only need to deliver 1 to be 'on schedule.

Tesla is highly likely to hit the launch target of Q3....as you say it only needs 1 car (or a few founders cars) to be out the door by Sept 30th. To be honest I think that even if they declared the design studio open in Q3 and started converting reservations to orders the market would probably accept that as a 'launch. I think the tougher question is how smoothly production ramps up (now we know that the level of Model S commonality is lower than expected) and how many Xs get actually delivered by year end. Tesla reaching 55k deliveries this year depends on there being a certain number of Model X and there's no room for any supplier breakdowns, assembly complications, port strikes etc.

I already feel sorry for the DES who are going to be working Christmas and New Year all over again. Current delivery record is 11,507 IIRC but in Q4 there might be 12-14,000 Model S as well as 5,000 Model X. Tesla needs to make sure the channel can physically handle 17-19,000 cars.