Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How TPMS is reset in the model S...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are so right. I wonder why they need the tool?

The tool is needed because TPMS is a "black box" and they didn't develop software to make the car's computer talk all the details to the TPMS.

The Model S TPMS system knows the location of the tires and knows each wheel's tire pressure (as seen in diagnostic screens), but Tesla has chosen not to reveal that much information in the user interface (e.g., just "Tire Pressure Low" instead of "LR Tire Pressure Low"). This may be a conscious choice, or a quick time-to-market decision. Either way, I can confirm that the Model S knows which sensor is in which tire position. As a result, if you rotate the tires without a programmer, they'll be wrong -- but your tire pressures will still be monitored.

As a result, if you rotate the tires without a programmer, they'll be wrong -- but your tire pressures will still be monitored.

So if I understand what you are saying is that the global TPMS will work fine since MS does not report LR, RR, LF, RF?

I am still fuzzy on why it matters to use the tool if I move a tire since MS does not report LR, RR, LF, RF.

So if I understand what you are saying is that the global TPMS will work fine since MS does not report LR, RR, LF, RF?

I am still fuzzy on why it matters to use the tool if I move a tire since MS does not report LR, RR, LF, RF.

The main reason for needing the tool is when you switch from your summer set to your winter set of tires and wheels.

You would also need the tool if you put on the wider tires in the rear (like the 265's that Elon's car has) because they would likely run at a different pressure than the fronts. And we can always hope that a future software release will have the pressures reported.

It probably doesn't matter. My current ICE does report the pressure and location for each tire. Once or twice my dealer forgot to re-program after a tire rotation and my dash display was backwards but otherwise worked okay. Since Model S only reports a generic low pressure alert and you have to check with a tire gauge yourself, it really doesn't matter if the car knows which tire is where. If Tesla ever offers an upgrade showing pressure by location, then it matters.

So when using the TPMS tool, is it necessary to enter the current pressure of each tire?

No, the purpose of the tool is to identify to the car which wheel is which. You record the serial number of each wheel in turn, in a specific pattern, then download that into the car.

Model S currently doesn't show tire pressures, but it's possible that it displays which wheel is low when a pressure loss is detected. Displaying pressures on demand is something that clearly should be added (Roadster does it).

Yes it looked very much like that except yellow. It is possible that a special configuration of the tool is required for the Model S. The tech said the diagnostic tools were in short supply like so many parts during the start-up and that he had a hard time getting one for the service location.

Now if a Roadster owner with one of these tools and a Model S owner were to get together???

I asked our service manager to order me the Roadster tool and he wrote back a few days later to say that the Roadster tool won't work on the S.

No, the purpose of the tool is to identify to the car which wheel is which. You record the serial number of each wheel in turn, in a specific pattern, then download that into the car.

Model S currently doesn't show tire pressures, but it's possible that it displays which wheel is low when a pressure loss is detected. Displaying pressures on demand is something that clearly should be added (Roadster does it).

The car's user interface does not. It simply reports "tire pressure low".

A little surprised by this thread. I have a 2007 Acura TL with standard TPMS. It shows the accurate tire pressure for each wheel and updates wheel location automatically by moving the car a few feet after tire rotation. BTW, this system is dead on with my quality digital tire pressure gauge.

Just a question: If the TPMS recognizes a low tire pressure and you fill the tire up how does one reset the TPMS or does this occur automatically

Two ways to reset the TPMS if you have your tires deflated. The first is in the Owner Safety Information booklet:

1. NOTE: The warning light does not turn off immediately after you adjust tire pressures. It turns off when you drive Model S above 25 mph (40 km/h) for more than 10 minutes with tires at the recommended pressures.

2. Turn off the car via the menu and then press the brake to turn it on again (this is not officially documented anywhere that I know of).

So when you change from summer to winter tires in cold climates. It's correct that the onboard tpms "reader" can't store more than 4 wheels? so you have to visit a service center to reprogram? Do they still sell the tool in the US? I remember earlier someone saying about $600.. Here they charge $2000(!) for it, and they should be the exact same tool.

Anyone got some info on this? :)

Currently they do not sell the reset tool. The tool referenced was for the Roadster. Currently I drive with the TPMS warning light on until I either have a scheduled annual service or pay Tesla to have it reset for the current set of tires.

I hope they eventually sell the tool or enable the car to reset itself. This is one of the sacrifices one makes when buying an expensive car- more money for everything.

Currently they do not sell the reset tool. The tool referenced was for the Roadster. Currently I drive with the TPMS warning light on until I either have a scheduled annual service or pay Tesla to have it reset for the current set of tires.

I hope they eventually sell the tool or enable the car to reset itself. This is one of the sacrifices one makes when buying an expensive car- more money for everything.

Alright, ty for info!

If they at some point do offer the TPMS reset/programming tool for resale, or if we found a way to get it from a third party (Baolong?) then I would propose a group buy for the "Tesla Owner's Club Norway - Greater Oslo metropolitan area chapter". (OK, this club doesn't really exist quite yet, but will soon!)