Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How inaccurate are YOUR Tesla TPMS sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 3 tire pressure gauges; A Snap-on/Blue-point, a Jaco, and a Motion-Pro. All three are considered excellent quality gauges ranging in accuracy from +\-.25% to +\-.5%.

I fill my tires (Hankook Evo AS 18” 235/45s) to 42 PSI according to all three guages, which have always agreed with one another, and yet my Tesla TPMS sensors read 46/47 PSI. Literature has said the Tesla OEM TPMS sensors are accurate to +\-1.5% (Which is “decent” accuracy), but the difference between my guages and the sensors are around 7%! and that’s pretty significant.

From a “practical” standpoint, this is really a non-issue and more a nuisance than anything else, because I always use my manual gauges for tire filling accuracy, and rely on my TPMS sensors for monitoring and early warning; I look to the TPMS guages for change rather than accurate pressure reading. In fact, I wish they had a “normalize” mode for the tire pressure readout where they just show an arrow indicator under a centerline for each wheel to indicate change from baseline, rather than an explicit number.

I guess the point of my post is to see if this pretty large inaccuracy is typical with all Tesla owners, and if by some miraculous way, I’ve missed information on how to input an offset to the TPMS reading to calibrate it to a different baseline pressure reading.

Thanks!

If you're above sea-level that may be some of what you're seeing depending on where in CA you are. Elevation affects the displayed pressures. At our elevation, it's about 3psi off and Tesla could EASILY add something to the software to correct for elevation since the car knows where it is. This is something I've just given up on even though it's SUCH a pain at this elevation because it means that the threshold before it triggers the low pressure warning is down 3psi from actual. Given that the temperatures also change dramatically here which also affects pressure readings (less of an absolute as compared to the elevation) it makes for a constant low pressure fighting battle at this elevation even when you're as picky about your tire pressures as I am. I can only imagine that the average Tesla driver at elevation just puts a piece of black electrical tape over their display or something because there's no way the average user is as in-tune w/tire pressure and all of the nuances I've just outlined.

My Model 3 and Model X TPMS are spotted on as well. Just to be sure, OP, you are checking the TPMS right after you filled them and drove it for like 1 min and not too long right? Because if you fill it to 42 in the morning and drove it in the afternoon.... in California... it will be 47 LOL. My tires are 42 in the morning and 47 by the time I drove back from work.

My Model 3 and Model X TPMS are spotted on as well. Just to be sure, OP, you are checking the TPMS right after you filled them and drove it for like 1 min and not too long right? Because if you fill it to 42 in the morning and drove it in the afternoon.... in California... it will be 47 LOL. My tires are 42 in the morning and 47 by the time I drove back from work.
Oh thank you for pointing that detail out! Yes, I read the pressure as 42 on all 4 wheels with my manual gauges in the garage in shade, and then roll at neighborhood speed for about a 1/4 mile or so until the sensors in the wheels update. at the speed and distance I've gone to compare against the wheel sensors, there's no way pressures could have gone one way or the other more than a degree or less. I don't do it on blisteringly hot days or cold ones either, and my elevation is not too far from sea level at 387 ft.

I just don't get these sensors... On my other set of wheels (I have the original 20" Uberturbines) all 4 of those sensors also ran about 4-5 psi high *shrug*

Could it be an offset somehow adjusted and calibrated at the factory via a service p[rogram setting? Kind of like the center point calibration for the steering column, and how you can adjust the offset on that when calibrating for AP/FSD driving?

I look after a 2022 model Y and a 2023 model 3. My manual tire gauges are JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge - 60 PSI. My home elevation is 6200 feet. The differences among my two JACO gauges and the TPMS reports on the eight tires is too small to discern.

Temperature effects are easily apparent, however.