Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to have headlights always on when driving (not using "Auto" mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last 20 years, I've gotten into the strong habit of always turning my headlights on when driving -- any time during the day or night. It's an automatic habit to turn them on when starting my other cars, and turn them off when stopping. I've *never* liked the "Auto" setting on cars since they first appeared, so I never use "Auto" headlights. For instance, when it's raining or snowing out during the day, or the wipers are on, the headlights don't always turn on (depending on car make model and year).

If you have your lights 'ON' and get out of the car and walk away. At least the two tests I did last week in some rain. They will turn off, and revert to 'auto'. So don't worry about turning them off.

I'm with you on this. My VW GTI before this had 'DRLs' that were actually the full on HID headlamps, and I still turned on the full headlamps every time I was in the car. I want my taillights lit up all the time as well.

I've done that since the 1970s with every car up until the Model S. The reason is that the HID lights do not add a great deal to visibility over the DLRs. So I just set it to auto and forget it. Take a look at the car with just DRLs and with DRLs and headlights, there's almost no difference unless you are looking right at the headlights.

I agreet 100% about the DRLs in the Model S. They are quite bright and eye catching. I do have issues in inclement weather where my lights don't turn on in time. And also my tail lights stay dark in some conditions where I wish they would be on. I drive under lots of bridge/tunnels where my auto lights don't register as soon as I would wish.

b) When the lights are set to AUTO, your taillights do not turn on** until dusk when the car switches from DRLs to LOWBEAMs. For visibility, I always want my taillights working.

Yes I have issues during rain (when the rain sensing wipers aren't quite picking up anything) where my lights stay off. And I also want my tail lights lit at all times as well.

Sorry for this post coming long after the Original Post. Similar to the OP I have also for the last 18 years driven with my head lights turned. This habit began after owning my first Volvo and continued thru a series of Volvos until know. Sweden has auto laws that make driving with head lights on at all times. Volvo therefore provide settings allowing headlights/tailights to turn on and off with the car. This very practical for a areas in the northern latitudes - short day light hours in the winter - 6 hrs in Sweden. ...with extended periods of dawn and dusk.

FYI - DRLs are no longer standards equipment without tech package in US. There are reflective surfaces in the same shape/location as the DRLs.

FYI - MS sensors are based on the amount of solar radiation rather than the amount of visible light.

FYI - MN state law states that at any time there is precipitation - rain or snow - drivers must have their lights on when on the road.

Without passenger memory settings and the light settings reverting back to the AUTO mode there appears to be no way of setting the lights to turn on/off with car always. During MN winter, short day light hours usually with snow, driving mostly involve driving with head lights on. I also ride motorcycle and they are hardwired to have the head lights on when the engine is on. Driving with head lights is a normal part of safe driving here in MN.

Any serious thoughts or ideas to share? Thanks.

Has any had success directing suggestions to Tesla?

FYI - MN state law states that at any time there is precipitation - rain or snow - drivers must have their lights on when on the road.

That's also true in many other states as well.

I have noticed that when I turn on the windshield wipers during the day, the headlights do automatically turn on, and stay on after I turn off the wipers. I don't know how long they stay on, though.

Mn law requires the use of headlights during precip and also states the DRLs are inadequate substitutes for headlight when use is required by law. I am not of legal/manufacturing requirements for headlights or the legal difference between the two types.

Anyway with legal requirements in the short daylight hours during winter combined with rain or snow I am not willing to take chance of being stopped for a ticket or worse being in an accident and being determined to be a fault not having my headlights on.

I would like to be able to turn the headlights OFF.

Auto always turns the headlights on in my garage, then when I get outside they go off. Needlessly. The life of an HID bulb is governed more by the number of cycles ON than the time illuminated. Would like the headlights to stay in their current state when the mirrors are folded. Or a means of disabling Auto entirely. Mechanical headlight switches in other vehicles provide this feature.

One I really hated was my 2001 GMC Sonoma. Cheap truck every which way from Sunday. Had no means of manually controlling the headlights but for high/low once in headlight mode. Automatically ran high beams on supposedly lower voltage during the day as DRL and was late in switching to proper low beam headlights. So there was 30 - 60 minutes at sunrise and dusk when I had no control over my headlights blinding oncoming traffic. Not that it wasn't bad enough running the high beams during the day.

FYI - my Tesla service tech said that in the two years they have been open they have never had one car in to have a headlight replaced. He also said that computer monitors the power to the bulbs so closely that they never receive too little or too much power increasing their life span. He is in the process - having never been required to change headlight bulbs - of checking to see if this work is covered under warranty.

If covered by warranty I would never go near them considering the work involved in replacing a headlight bulb. The roadster required that the front wheels and wheel wells be removed providing a narrow space to access the bulb from behind the headlight. I believe the MS requires the same procedure.

- - - Updated - - -

My Tesla services tech is contacting Tesla with my suggestion to add a setting - LIGHTS ON FOREVER. If Tesla can add/remove DRLs with few lines of computer could be added easily. This setting may already be available to those in Northern Europe - Sweden by law requires head light use any time car is in operation.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also for eliminating the auto setting all together

My Tesla services tech is contacting Tesla with my suggestion to add a setting - LIGHTS ON FOREVER. If Tesla can add/remove DRLs with few lines of computer could be added easily. This setting may already be available to those in Northern Europe - Sweden by law requires head light use any time car is in operation.
No it is not available in northern Europe. BTW, In sweden we now have the same rules as the rest of the EU since a car is approved for use for the whole EU and not country by country.
So auto DRL turns on the smaller front DRL and nothing else. To get low beams and tail lights during the day you need to manually turn it on.
But the auto feature works very well so the low beams and tail lights go on as needed when in auto in my experience.

Not sure if it is this simple in the model S, but in my current car I leave the lights set to auto and I have a piece of electrical tape over the light sensor on the dash. Headlights are now on with the ignition.

I don't have my model S yet, and I'm guessing that may cause issues beyond this one, but at a minimum it would seem that would cause the 17 inch display to always be in night mode.

I don't have my model S yet, and I'm guessing that may cause issues beyond this one, but at a minimum it would seem that would cause the 17 inch display to always be in night mode.

you can change that but then the display won't auto adjust.

I usually run my car w/ parking lights on during dusky hours or in wet/ dim lighting. Grey Tesla blends in quite a bit without rear lights
pretty sure it is still not legal (for whatever reason? I want tail lights w/ my DRLs)

I usually run my car w/ parking lights on during dusky hours or in wet/ dim lighting. Grey Tesla blends in quite a bit without rear lights pretty sure it is still not legal (for whatever reason? I want tail lights w/ my DRLs)

It's always struck me as strange that the advent of always-on headlamps (DRLs) for safety did not also retain the use of taillights.

Were regulators concerned taillights would burn out and people would complain?

It's always struck me as strange that the advent of always-on headlamps (DRLs) for safety did not also retain the use of taillights.

Were regulators concerned taillights would burn out and people would complain?

It makes no sense to me from a safety or regulation standpoint. I mean really, why not just require rear markers too?

I remembered this morning the original reason I starting using my parking lights regularly when driving. the moist weather that we (normally are supposed to) have in Humboldt will cause your headlights to cycle on and off a bunch due to barely needed wipers. Turning on parking lights seems to be the cure and adds some rear end lighting safety for the crazies, don't need to be able to see w/ headlights but want to be visible.

FYI - DRLs are no longer standards equipment without tech package in US. There are reflective surfaces in the same shape/location as the DRLs.

I don't see any mention of DRLs in the description of the Tech Package. It does add cornering lights and fog lamps, but those aren't the same. This is important enough that I'm very interested to learn more. Where did you find this information?