Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delete personal information on a totaled vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I want to praise Tesla for the quality of its Model 3 crash protection. That car saved my life. Last week my one month old 2023 M3 was totaled in a very severe anccident and now is in emergency mode status and won’t respond to app or “credit card”. After the violent crash where I was rear ended (while stopped at a traffic light)by a minivan driving at over 60 mph and thrown into the incoming traffic to be hit again by another car traveling at speed…Since I was in shock I did not think of resetting the system and now with the car non responsive I can’t do it. Tesla said they can’t remotely access a car in emergency mode. Any idea? Thank you

Attachments

• C6BD7734-2A55-4585-A1E6-5941070CFCEC.jpeg
    C6BD7734-2A55-4585-A1E6-5941070CFCEC.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 74079592-5FEE-4455-A057-02317D696E8A.jpeg
    74079592-5FEE-4455-A057-02317D696E8A.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Silicon Desert
In the crash when the airbags went off, the car blew a fuse that disconnects the high voltage battery from everything. This fuse is called the pyrofuse, and when it gets blown all the car's electronics and computers are briefly powered by the low voltage battery under the front trunk. In this situation, the low voltage battery will be drained and the high voltage battery is no longer connected to be able to charge it up. You need to jump start the low voltage battery in order to power up the infotainment computer and then do a factory reset. See here under Low Voltage Battery > Jump Starting The Low Voltage (Lithium Ion) Battery Model 3 Do It Yourself | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
In the crash when the airbags went off, the car blew a fuse that disconnects the high voltage battery from everything. This fuse is called the pyrofuse, and when it gets blown all the car's electronics and computers are briefly powered by the low voltage battery under the front trunk. In this situation, the low voltage battery will be drained and the high voltage battery is no longer connected to be able to charge it up. You need to jump start the low voltage battery in order to power up the infotainment computer and then do a factory reset. See here under Low Voltage Battery > Jump Starting The Low Voltage (Lithium Ion) Battery Model 3 Do It Yourself | Tesla
I will contact Copart and ask them to let me jump the low voltage battery in Oder to unlock the doors and hopefully power the display. thank you that is very helpful.

One thing to note. Even if you do reset everything to delete your information.. don't be surprised if you get an email later on from a new buyer. My car was totalled and bought at auction by a possibly rather optimistic young man that hoped to get it back on the road, though he knew very little about Teslas. It seems that whilst most of my personal info (home address etc.) had been removed, my music selection was still there as was my contact email address.