Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much has your Model S' battery degraded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90% fluctuates from 214-218 miles. But when I change the RM to %, sometimes it shows 91%. I think this is what some people are experiencing.

Interesting. My Rated Miles @90% are currently at 216 and have been there since they dropped from 218 a while back. That has been my pattern. They will be at a given number each time, every time until it drops, then it will stay there. I never see any change whatsoever over firmware updates.

I recently switched to % from Rated Miles on the dash because I was just obsessing too much about it. If I charge to 90%, the car shows 90%. I've never seen it go up, but if the car finished charging to 90% at work by, say 2:00 PM, it will be at 89% when I leave at 4:30 or 5:00. (Energy Savings OFF; Always Connected).

Interesting. My Rated Miles @90% are currently at 216 and have been there since they dropped from 218 a while back. That has been my pattern. They will be at a given number each time, every time until it drops, then it will stay there. I never see any change whatsoever over firmware updates.

I recently switched to % from Rated Miles on the dash because I was just obsessing too much about it. If I charge to 90%, the car shows 90%. I've never seen it go up, but if the car finished charging to 90% at work by, say 2:00 PM, it will be at 89% when I leave at 4:30 or 5:00. (Energy Savings OFF; Always Connected).

Hmm, you had me dig through my photo archive (I'm a bit obsessive), and I was wrong. I've been at 218 and 90% charged (the clock is the same on both photos).

20150702_181323.jpg

20150702_181327.jpg

But I have also (other times) seen my car charge to 91% instead of 90% (though that could be my fault, if I didn't set the slider to exactly the right location?).

This is a 70D.

Last edited:
From all the previous threads about battery capacity and degradation, it always feels like the people with the most issues with range loss and unbalanced batteries are the 85kWh owners with "A" batteries from 2012 and May-ish 2013. We seem to have the most problems.

I've had battery and range problems. I used to charge to 80% daily with really poor range and even battery failure. Now I'm charging to 90% daily and my repaired pack show 221 or 222 miles of rated range. I have over 51,000 miles (almost 10,000 miles on a loaner battery pack).

It so critical to put your battery and motor configuration here. I can't believe the guy who put 70d data without noting that it wasn't a 85 - sure way to screw up any data points. Also reminds us to not assume the cars are all 85s

It so critical to put your battery and motor configuration here. I can't believe the guy who put 70d data without noting that it wasn't a 85 - sure way to screw up any data points. Also reminds us to not assume the cars are all 85s

Cry me a river.

1. You can clearly see it's a 70D (or a 60) by the speedometer.
2. There are too many threads asking the same thing. I answered in the previous thread stating it's a 70D - What's your 90%?

It looks like I've recovered some range during my latest road trip. I supercharged to 100% yesterday on my way home from San Diego. I went to 298 ideal miles w/ Range Mode on, and then I was able to drive 5.5 miles before the range estimate dropped by 1 mile to 297 miles. So I am basically getting 302-303 ideal miles at 100% charge. My car is 2 years old with 25,000 miles. Looks like I have zero degradation! :)

My Model S is more than two years old and it appears I've had next to no battery degradation. I got about 224 miles out of standard charge in the beginning and got 223 today. A range charge got me about 245 in the beginning. On the trip to CA a number of full charges produced the same results.

1. You can clearly see it's a 70D (or a 60) by the speedometer.

Wow. I had to go back to some of my archived photos to see what you were talking about. My Speedo is calibrated up to 320 kW while yours goes to 240. I never realized that before!

- - - Updated - - -

My Model S is more than two years old and it appears I've had next to no battery degradation. I got about 224 miles out of standard charge in the beginning and got 223 today. A range charge got me about 245 in the beginning. On the trip to CA a number of full charges produced the same results.

Ugh! I don't know why I obsess about this so much but it surely bugs me when my similarly aged car does so much worse. Tesla has checked it out and told me everything is working as designed. I guess I'm just on the low side of the curve for some reason.

Last week, I asked Tesla why my car never, ever, ever runs the cooling system when I'm Supercharging while every other car is screaming away like they're ready for takeoff. Again they checked and said everything was okay and if my car needed cooling, it would come on.

You bought it used ?? My first P85 got 243 miles at 90 % charge and 272 at 100%. So if you have 223/245 your battery degraded about 10 % since new. It is all expected that the serious degradation happens in the beginning and then slows down.

You bought it used ?? My first P85 got 243 miles at 90 % charge and 272 at 100%. So if you have 223/245 your battery degraded about 10 % since new. It is all expected that the serious degradation happens in the beginning and then slows down.

Why do I seem to have zero degradation after 2 years and 25,000 miles while others are down 10%? The only thing I did differently was I kept my battery charged at 50% for most of its first year.

I am little bit confused...range charge a new car and you should get close to 265 miles. Mine was about 265 miles when I picked it and now it is 256-257 after range charge. I'm at 30K miles.

I'm at 32K miles, and it hits 225 rated miles on a standard charge. I saw about 243 rated miles on my most recent range charge. Its a 2013 P85, I've range charged about 6 times, and supercharged about 15-20 times max. I mostly drive evenings/early mornings, California weather. When new, it got 240-242 rated miles on a standard charge.