Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Has Lead Acid, Not Lithium Ion Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

After owning my Tesla for a year, I’m pleased to say that my wife also wanted one. So we went and bought her a slightly used MYP. One question I had was, didn’t Tesla switch to Lithium Ion batteries in 2021? When I go to the software -> Additional Vehicle Information it shows that the battery is lead acid and that the chip is an Atom chip. I may have this totally wrong (which I think I do) but I thought the 2022’s were supposed to have the Ryzen chip and lithium ion batteries? I know only the SR+ has the LFP batteries but I didn’t think Tesla was still making lead acid batteries in 2022 (especially December of 2022 when her car was made).

Sorry if this question is very noobish. I’m really not that familiar with the battery and chip types in Teslas.

Hello,

After owning my Tesla for a year, I’m pleased to say that my wife also wanted one. So we went and bought her a slightly used MYP. One question I had was, didn’t Tesla switch to Lithium Ion batteries in 2021? When I go to the software -> Additional Vehicle Information it shows that the battery is lead acid and that the chip is an Atom chip. I may have this totally wrong (which I think I do) but I thought the 2022’s were supposed to have the Ryzen chip and lithium ion batteries? I know only the SR+ has the LFP batteries but I didn’t think Tesla was still making lead acid batteries in 2022 (especially December of 2022 when her car was made).

Sorry if this question is very noobish. I’m really not that familiar with the battery and chip types in Teslas.
There were 2022 Model Ys that still had 12V lead acid and Atom:

There were 2022 Model Ys that still had 12V lead acid and Atom:
From what I see in that post the person says that they accepted delivery in Feb 2022. When I asked the customer support rep what month this was built (I was asking to find out if the car was pure Tesla vision or had USS) they told me it was built in December of 2022. That would make this close to a 2023 model. That seems weird that they were still using Atom/Lead Acid that far out in 2022

Oh and just in case you’re wondering (which you probably aren’t LOL it does have USS.
From what I see in that post the person says that they accepted delivery in Feb 2022. When I asked the customer support rep what month this was built (I was asking to find out if the car was pure Tesla vision or had USS) they told me it was built in December of 2022. That would make this close to a 2023 model. That seems weird that they were still using Atom/Lead Acid that far out in 2022
Oh and just in case you’re wondering (which you probably aren’t LOL) it does have USS.

2022 was a mixed bag. They went back to Intel/Lead Acid for a period of time, after already shipping Ryzen/Li-Ion, then went back to AMD again. I cancelled my initial Spring order and pushed to Summer because of this.

I have never heard of a Late 2022 being Intel/Lead Acid though. So the build date in the door is 12/22? Or is that just what the customer support rep said? I have friends with 2023 Teslas from late 2022 and they are Ryzen.

Also the LFP batteries in the standard range you mentioned are for the high voltage battery. Lead Acid/Li-Ion refers only to the low voltage 12/16V batteries in the frunk. Irrelevant of the high voltage battery pack. Your big battery is Lithium Ion, no matter what.

Last edited:
It's possible they mixed it up and they meant December 2021. I believe you can find the actual manufacture date on the doorjamb sticker.