Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many would take factory delivery if it was available?

Who wants to pick up at the factory?

• Not me

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Yes - local in-State

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Yes- would come from out of State

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Yes - would come internationally

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw, a little bird from T told me recently that they are planning on having a 'variety' of delivery options available (incl at the factory), some of which might be even more 'attractive' than factory delivery! Not sure what all that means but, we'd apparently be hearing more about this (and the relevant destination charges) 'very soon'. That's as far as I got...

Cars delivered with wash and wax by the Swedish bikini team?

Performance versions delivered at Laguna Seca Raceway, which has been closed off for your enjoyment?

Delivered with a complimentary VIP ticket to the Model C reveal?

... just brainstorming here...

This is really intriguing. While I don't think we have a charging infrastructure sufficient for me to drive from Fremont to Boston, I'd be interested in hearing more options.

Welllll....

Tesla drove to the Detroit Auto Show in 2010 by using KOA and other RV sites and their almost ubiquitous 14-50 Nema outlets, which fit the standard Model S charging plug.

So, I would think you might have infrastructure, but "sufficient" sounds like an opinion :)

That said, think of the press coverage. Your own facebook following as you crossed state lines and drove into the hometown. Fame!

I'm thinking home delivery might be an option. I'd take that!

My ranger was telling me they weren't planning to do home delivery due to the much larger volume on Model S. I could see how the logistics would be a lot of work. I don't have a problem with going to Toronto to fetch my Model S.

Mind you, I suspect they'd have to make exceptions for people who are much too far from the store.

My ranger was telling me they weren't planning to do home delivery due to the much larger volume on Model S. I could see how the logistics would be a lot of work. I don't have a problem with going to Toronto to fetch my Model S.

Mind you, I suspect they'd have to make exceptions for people who are much too far from the store.

Signature volume is lower though, perhaps that'll be available for them

Well, seeing as I'm 800 miles from the nearest Tesla Store (Chicago) and 1200 miles from the nearest Canadian store (Toronto), let alone California, I think I'll see how much they are charging for home delivery. If it's really expensive, we'll probably end up flying to a store. I think Toronto would be simpler due to customs regulations, but I'll talk to my Tesla rep as the day approaches.

It is about 400 miles from the factory to out home in Southern California. We could fly to Oakland in the morning, do a factory tour, have lunch in SF, then drive home! This will be especially attractive if we can save on the delivery fee.

Well, seeing as I'm 800 miles from the nearest Tesla Store (Chicago) and 1200 miles from the nearest Canadian store (Toronto), let alone California, I think I'll see how much they are charging for home delivery. If it's really expensive, we'll probably end up flying to a store. I think Toronto would be simpler due to customs regulations, but I'll talk to my Tesla rep as the day approaches.

Yes, I was thinking of you when I made that last post!

Tesla drove to the Detroit Auto Show in 2010 by using KOA and other RV sites and their almost ubiquitous 14-50 Nema outlets, which fit the standard Model S charging plug.

So, I would think you might have infrastructure, but "sufficient" sounds like an opinion :)

That said, think of the press coverage. Your own facebook following as you crossed state lines and drove into the hometown. Fame!
OK, I blush to say that I spent a few hours a couple of weeks ago plotting out how to do this! It is possible, but it's not easy.

Yeah, I think you could Doug...as long as you had the ownership document for the car in advance...you could register the car up here & put the plates on it when you arrived in Freemont...still, I would have to check everything (including verifying the sales tax info) in advance.

Hmmm.... could you even get a Canadian car licensed for that purpose?

Yeah, I think you could Doug...as long as you had the ownership document for the car in advance...you could register the car up here & put the plates on it when you arrived in Freemont...still, I would have to check everything (including verifying the sales tax info) in advance.

Will they license a car that hasn't been imported yet?

Well I voted for the out of state but not really intending to take delivery, just want to watch to roll through that last part of the assembly. Maybe they would let me bolt on a few pieces.

No delivery to home? Well they aren't going to deliver a truck full to the DC store, there's no place to park there normally and I doubt renting a protected parking lot nearby would be cost effective in that location. Come to Papa...