Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many percent of Tesla owners have bought TSLA shares and roughly how many shares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started out with stock purchase in sep 2011, @ appx. 22$. reading obsessively about it and over a year later placed my s order which I took delivery April 17 2013. The day I took delivery the stock really broke out and made for quite a rush and glad that I haven't sold many shares :). My family thanks me too for talking them into stock and in one case, another s.

So excited about the car when I test drove that I invested at 27.5. Options so "cheap then" that I went a little crazy and through option investing now have 70,000 shares. Thinking of asking musk to hire me as a janitor so I can be listed as an insider with job description janitor. Should embarrass most of the officers in the company who keep selling their options. I believe I would be listed as 4 th or fifth largest insider now

History. Long ago bought a 100 shares stock AMER for 30 and sold at 40. it went to the NYSE, changed it's name to AOL and split 144x. My 100 shares would have been 14,400 shares @$100) :( I have 387 shares TSLA and am holding and increasing weekly with a 5-10 yr horizon at a minimum. Have friends who said "$70/share, way too pricey" now $129/shr Tesla is 3-4 yrs minimum ahead of any competition and the ICE's if they go EV will eat their children and are in a bind. This is the cusp of a revolution and combined with SCTY (give you an 8kW or bigger battery pack made by TSLA in case of outages and store excess electrons and SpaceX (what other car company can get a payload to the ISS). I love a plate I saw on a Tesla 60, "NO4NOIL" TSLA will seriously eat into auto parts as abt 40% revenues are spare parts. Top 11 companies worldwide in revenues, 8 of them are oil/gas. TSLA will need to keep sprinting past the lumbering competition

I don't own an S yet but I do have shares. I first bought at $18 and that sure feels like getting in on the ground floor. I bought several more times and my average is $25 per share. I told my father and friends dozens of times to buy shares. None listened. I will buy gen 3.

(Off topic rant) About today's share price and market cap, it sure does feel high. However.... If you are familiar with Ray Kurtsweil and this hypothesis of the singularity (exponentially faster technological advancement) it does jive with how the market is reacting. In just 5 years we may see 100,000+ units per year. I think today's price could still be close ground floor for where it will end up. Market Cap of $50B+ is in the horizon if they execute.

I second your statement on the $50 B+ on execution. I own the stock but am undecided on Gen 3 or S as first Tesla purchase, as I purchased a fairly expensive car late last year before researching Tesla. My brother is a University professor in NY and he recently bought shares. Apparently many of his fellow professors own Tesla stock too.

So excited about the car when I test drove that I invested at 27.5. Options so "cheap then" that I went a little crazy and through option investing now have 70,000 shares. Thinking of asking musk to hire me as a janitor so I can be listed as an insider with job description janitor. Should embarrass most of the officers in the company who keep selling their options. I believe I would be listed as 4 th or fifth largest insider now

Congratulations. That is a really cool story. Just to be sure, you've sold enough shares that you could retire comfortably even if Tesla went bankrupt tomorrow, right? Would be embarrassing on the small chance that something really untoward would happen.

wow ppl. Just out of curiosity. How were you able to afford 70k shares? That's $1.7mil in initial investment. Even for a multimillionaire, that's not chump change.
Sorry I even posted now but most of my initial investment in company with stock. I felt so strongly in company that last November time frame I sold 20% of my stock and started buying calls with strikes of 40, 50 and 55 strikes for jan 2014 and 2015. Prices back then as low as 1.50. Remember lamenting that maybe I could have gotten cheaper by 20 cents. I owned majority of contracts for jan 14 strike 50 that were written back then I have owned over 1000 total contracts. Sold some to have cash when stock hit 88. Lots of moves I have regretted like that sale and not selling all my stock to buy options but in the back of my mind was always the thought how can the rest of the world be wrong? Have periodically sold and moved my strike price up but kept core of original options to exercise). While others are wondering whether to buy stock at 110., 120 or 130, I am buying at 40 50 and 55 I recognize my luck and do not plan to stretch it. Along the way I have had days (I remember4th qtr earnings report)when I was down 30% in one day. I also remember day after 1st qtr earnings report when I literally had tears of relief. Options are very expensive now. I didn't mind swinging for the fences when the goal was home runs. The gains from my stock could cover the options losses. Now with prices up there it seems that option plays maybe swinging more for doubles. Look at the cost for jan 14 175 sticke calls for instance. The money I got when I sold the contract when the stock hit 88, have been used to buy other contracts strike ranges 110 to 130. Did well enough to generate money to exercise options.

I have also bought shares of stock with the proceeds of the previous contract sale. Didnt want cash not working for me while waiting to exercise options. Although less lucrative than options stock has still appreciated and less volatile When it came time to exercise a contract could sell 40 shares to get a hundred that way.

I have met my goals for retirement and now trying to extend gains for my heirs. Plus have to admit I enjoy the game and realize, only to a tiny degree, I have added to success of company. Investors like ourselves have made it possible to get secondary stock sales off the ground to fund more company development

Sorry I even posted now but most of my initial investment in company with stock. I felt so strongly in company that last November time frame I sold 20% of my stock and started buying calls with strikes of 40, 50 and 55 strikes for jan 2014 and 2015. Prices back then as low as 1.50. Remember lamenting that maybe I could have gotten cheaper by 20 cents. I owned majority of contracts for jan 14 strike 50 that were written back then I have owned over 1000 total contracts. Sold some to have cash when stock hit 88. Lots of moves I have regretted like that sale and not selling all my stock to buy options but in the back of my mind was always the thought how can the rest of the world be wrong? Have periodically sold and moved my strike price up but kept core of original options to exercise). While others are wondering whether to buy stock at 110., 120 or 130, I am buying at 40 50 and 55 I recognize my luck and do not plan to stretch it. Along the way I have had days (I remember4th qtr earnings report)when I was down 30% in one day. I also remember day after 1st qtr earnings report when I literally had tears of relief. Options are very expensive now. I didn't mind swinging for the fences when the goal was home runs. The gains from my stock could cover the options losses. Now with prices up there it seems that option plays maybe swinging more for doubles. Look at the cost for jan 14 175 sticke calls for instance. The money I got when I sold the contract when the stock hit 88, have been used to buy other contracts strike ranges 110 to 130. Did well enough to generate money to exercise options. I have also bought shares of stock with the proceeds of the previous contract sale. Didnt want cash not working for me while waiting to exercise options. Although less lucrative than options stock has still appreciated and less volatile When it came time to exercise a contract could sell 40 shares to get a hundred that way. I have met my goals for retirement and now trying to extend gains for my heirs. Plus have to admit I enjoy the game and realize, only to a tiny degree, I have added to success of company. Investors like ourselves have made it possible to get secondary stock sales off the ground to fund more company development
WOw. How much percentage of your net worth is that original $140 000 investment in 1000 call options? If you don't feel comfortable disclosing, I just want to know if you put your whole net worth in it. I put 1/4 of my net worth in TSLA, but I never dared to do all options. I always played with strategies that limits the downsides and the upsides. TSLA is my 4th homerun stock that has increased by 400% or more. However, I am reviewing how I went about doing things. With the 3 previous ones, I was only 60%~70% sure. With TSLA it was close to 90% sure. If I dared to go full on retard leverage, I wouldn't still be so far off my target even after the 4th time.

WOw. How much percentage of your net worth is that original $140 000 investment in 1000 call options? If you don't feel comfortable disclosing, I just want to know if you put your whole net worth in it. I put 1/4 of my net worth in TSLA, but I never dared to do all options. I always played with strategies that limits the downsides and the upsides. TSLA is my 4th homerun stock that has increased by 400% or more. However, I am reviewing how I went about doing things. With the 3 previous ones, I was only 60%~70% sure. With TSLA it was close to 90% sure. If I dared to go full on retard leverage, I wouldn't still be so far off my target even after the 4th time.
1. I need to correct your assumption of 140,000. I bought as low but also higher. My brother and I laugh over how we agonized or passed up some buys because of 50 cents or less. Some options were purchased by trading earlier option for profit
2. Would never do again but I put my whole Ira in. It was about 30% of my net worth at the time but I am usually very conservative. For example my home mortgage is less than 10 percent home price. However it does mean I can still keep my home in retirement
3. My wife threatened divorce if I bought the car and I did anyway. Despite gain she is still pissed about it. I would never have had the courage to stay the course without having a daily confirmation that the car is that good. Then again the car cost a fortune when you consider loss of return by not investing that money too. Now she follows the market closely and any move I make I am told I better not sell anymore stock unless I make more money from it.
4. Will never and would not recommend pushing all chips into the center. But also don't recommend index funds. In the past I didn't have confidence to stay the course. I bought apple at 85 during financial crisis but sold at 130 happy as a lark. Learned from that and whenever some brags of selling at 40 50 85 etc always posted back to wait a week before bragging. Also bought amazon at 60 when kindle introduced. Got one for everyone in family and all loved it. Bezos would never release how many sold, sound similar to tesla? Sold at 80 also very happy then

the difference for me was passion about the company, a CEO who is honest and not afraid to release any bad news. Good luck

My wife threatened divorce if I bought the car and I did anyway. Despite gain she is still pissed about it.

Threatened divorce over the car or the rise in your net worth? she still pouting on regarding your award-winning car and/or net worth rise? Or did she admit the mistake and move on? I think if my wife said that to me and negotiations have failed, I would not have bought the car or stock or whatever it was. A happy marriage is worth more to me than stocks or cars.

Threatened divorce over the car or the rise in your net worth? she still pouting on regarding your award-winning car and/or net worth rise? Or did she admit the mistake and move on? I think if my wife said that to me and negotiations have failed, I would not have bought the car or stock or whatever it was. A happy marriage is worth more to me than stocks or cars.
Funny friend called me evil genius. The car was to be hers. I thought she would come around. She wouldn't get in it even. So, like a man, i took my punishment and I drove it. Truly painful experience. It was childish behavior on her part. After three months she finally got in and even drove it. Went to Philadelphia and used Delaware supercharger. I think she was truly afraid of the new technology as funny as that sounds. Just put in another 240 outlet in the garage just in case. She claims to want gen3 car but I doubt she waits that long

While I am impressed with the luck and guts some have posted here, what they have done is quite risky. No prudent investor should hold more than 4-8% (8% on the really high side) in anyone position. TSLA or otherwise. I own quite a bit tsla but stay with in the parameter I just stated. It protects from volatility and allows you to still have other positions to sell or take profits on so when tsla goes down and it will at some point, you can buy more.

While I am impressed with the luck and guts some have posted here, what they have done is quite risky. No prudent investor should hold more than 4-8% (8% on the really high side) in anyone position. TSLA or otherwise. I own quite a bit tsla but stay with in the parameter I just stated. It protects from volatility and allows you to still have other positions to sell or take profits on so when tsla goes down and it will at some point, you can buy more.

Wellllll ... when I bought TSLA, I would have met your directive.

I'm not about to sell a stock that I think will continue to go up, just to meet a predetermined formula. My portfolio remains healthy with or without TSLA. So I'm not going to let something like 'it should be this percentage of your portfolio' cause me to make a foolish move. Everyone has a different risk tolerance level. Even if I turn out to be completely wrong about TSLA, I'm fine. And if I'm right ... :).

I disagree with this as well. If you are "young" and know what you are doing, then it does not make sense to diversify. Diversification is for those who do not know what they are doing. Even if you are older and convinced about a company such as Tesla it would be prudent to put more than 8% into TSLA, as long as you are healthy and able to work past retirement age.

If you are 30 years old and put all of your net worth (say $50k) into TSLA and it works, then you will retire about 15 years earlier than average. If the Tesla goes bankrupt, then you might have to work 1 year past retirement age to make up the $50k loss. I will take that chance any day.

Funny friend called me evil genius. The car was to be hers. I thought she would come around. She wouldn't get in it even. So, like a man, i took my punishment and I drove it. Truly painful experience. It was childish behavior on her part. After three months she finally got in and even drove it. Went to Philadelphia and used Delaware supercharger. I think she was truly afraid of the new technology as funny as that sounds. Just put in another 240 outlet in the garage just in case. She claims to want gen3 car but I doubt she waits that long
THanks for sharing. I learned that it will take several TSLA like stocks for any one person to reach where you are ppl. It's part of becoming mature as an investor. TO be able to see the opportunity and move your portfolio with the correct leverage. Right now, I still doubt myself, even on a 90% sure fire stock like TSLA. I still don't believe in my own judgement even though I've had 3 previous 4 bangers before.

Wellllll ... when I bought TSLA, I would have met your directive.

I'm not about to sell a stock that I think will continue to go up, just to meet a predetermined formula. My portfolio remains healthy with or without TSLA. So I'm not going to let something like 'it should be this percentage of your portfolio' cause me to make a foolish move. Everyone has a different risk tolerance level. Even if I turn out to be completely wrong about TSLA, I'm fine. And if I'm right ... :).

True everyone's risk is different. You may want to consider taking your principal off the table plus x % and then play with the house money. Why risk down side when it has gone parabolic? Don't get me wrong I think this company and ergo stock is a game changer for the world. I think this will be trading at a significantly high price 5-10 years from now. Just be careful. There is no reason to squander $ gains needlessly. Have you considered stop loss? You can always buy back more shares then at a lower price. It will go down at some point. Case in point apple. Everyone thought apple was untouchable, self included. Now look 300-350 from the High.

I have taken my principal amt off table and have the gains in the stock. That way I can invest my fluid cash in other positions to grow as well. Just a thought. GO TSLA!

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree with this as well. If you are "young" and know what you are doing, then it does not make sense to diversify. Diversification is for those who do not know what they are doing. Even if you are older and convinced about a company such as Tesla it would be prudent to put more than 8% into TSLA, as long as you are healthy and able to work past retirement age.

If you are 30 years old and put all of your net worth (say $50k) into TSLA and it works, then you will retire about 15 years earlier than average. If the Tesla goes bankrupt, then you might have to work 1 year past retirement age to make up the $50k loss. I will take that chance any day.

Agreed, but that is called gambling, not investing. You could do the same thing playing red and black on roulette and probably with better odds. When a stock goes down and sentiment turns I will go in and buy. I did that in 08 when everyone was selling in feb/march 2008, I was buying buying buying.

Friday Boeing plummeted 6%. I went in and bought calls @ aug105. Within 20 mins doubled my money. This morning sold them and almost tripled. Investing in tsla is great and it will go higher, just use stop loss, so you preserve your gains and then can buy back more shares at a lower price. That is how you grow rich and retire at 30-40 years old.

Even if tsla exceeds all estimates or meets them. Institutions can dump shares and 30-40 pts come off price. Why risk that kind of loss?