Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how many kept your old ICE around as a backup? And how long before selling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kept my Acura RDX, 2006, (and really the best car I have ever owned, until now, of course) for a backup and to haul my dogs and big dirty stuff around. She's paid for, in fantastic shape, and not worth enough to motivate me to sell her. I thought about selling and buying a cheap pickup or something. But it is nice to know that I have decent car when weather gets really bad, which it does here in the wet rainy mountains of CA in the winter. We also have power outages that can last for 3-4-5 days. While I have a generator for the house, I'd be really nervous about pulling dirty power like that for my Miss. If I lived in an urban area, I would probably rethink it.

My feeling is that since the Acura isn't worth much of anything now and I have the space, I might as well hold onto her.

I have one of the earliest RDX's, too (technically a 2007 model, delivered in 2006). I kept it for the AWD; the first winter I had my S, I drove it a handful of times. The second winter, with my S now properly shod with real winter tires, I drove the RDX...once, maybe? It sits. And sits. And sits. When I decide to drive it there's a good chance it won't start. With an AWD Tesla in my immediate future, I think my local NPR station is about to get a vehicle donation.

:biggrin:

Sold ICE car to get the Tesla. It is our only car. No regrets.

Same here. Model S is my only vehicle.

I got rid of my VW GTI (at my Wife'l insistence of not parking any car outside of our garage) in preparation of getting the Model S. But my wife still had her ICE Civic. It became so very apparent within a couple of weeks that the Model S was both of our primary car. It had no issues (other than road trips) doing anything we asked of it.

When my wife's Civic decided to give up on life idling at a red light she ended up driving the Model S for a month, while I borrowed my friends 18 year old Dakota pickup. After a couple of months (my wife didn't need a car for a while after her school ended) we went car shopping and all the ICEs she drove were not going to work. Ended up 'selling' her car for $800, and getting a Ford Focus Electric.

Now being the primary driver since my wife has started school again (90 one way a few times a week), I have come to the conclusion that I had somehow convinced myself that the LEAF or FFE wouldn't meet my high milage lifestyle, and bought the Model S. But I can do all my daily stuff in that car. It isn't a Model S but it is a really nice car.

So yeah just get rid of your ICE, and get ready to get rid of all your other ICEs. Because driving EV is so much better.

For a person with one car, it's a valid question. For a person with multiple cars, it's a different issue. People have multiple cars, presumably, because multiple drivers need to use cars at the same time. I have four cars and five drivers in my household. Chances are there will be one more car, but that will depend on where my daughter goes to graduate school. Spending half a million dollars to replace everything would be nice, but since I installed only one NEMA 14-50 outlet it would be rather inconvenient.

My daughter wants something with the safety (from an avoidance standpoint) that the MS is expected to have, but at this point the best rated car in that respect is a Subaru at about 1/3 the price. I don't think anybody will give a loan to a grad student to buy an MS when her only income is from working as a Sunday school teacher.

We have 2 motorcycles and my old Subaru Baja. The Baja is good for spring gardening work, hauling bags of mulch and dirt. I'm actually selling my motorcycle, as now that I have the S I barely go out riding. I'd rather take a ride in the S.

I sold my 1 year old 2013 RDX to get my MS85 back in June. My wife drives a 2012 Odyssey which is great since we have 3 young kids. We use it for vacation and to places I wouldn't dare bring the MS. I still have my 2005 Toyota Tundra since I do a lot of DIY projects (mine and others), and have rentals to deal with. The Tundra is like an "extended family" truck now. My brother has had it for the last 3 months but now I need it back.

Now that I've had my Model S for a few weeks, I can honestly say I might end up driving my ICE vehicle more than my MS. That's because after a few weeks, it seems to be disappearing every morning right around the time my wife goes to work and doesn't reappear until she gets home. At least I had two weeks to enjoy it.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I've kept my Mercedes S class. It came in handy this weekend - we did a 700 mile round trip which we just couldn't have done in the Tesla because of the lack of Superchargers here in the UK. Also noticed how very comfortable the S class is compared to the Tesla.

So might be keeping both for a while longer yet.

Im curious how many are in the same boat as me, where out of an abundance of caution (and perhaps range anxiety), you kept your previous ICE around when buying the S. And, for those of you that did, how long did you have the S as your daily driver before deciding to commit and sell the ICE?

I'm about a month in, and already suspended the insurance on my old Audi (barring the comprehensive). And now I'm wondering what I'm really getting by using that space in the garage and watching it depreciate.
Kept it, still use it for longer trips due to zero infrastructure in my region (Missouri). Have kept it for almost 2 years now. Even when the SC in Missouri are installed I'll keep it as a vehicle for my kids.

I have one of the earliest RDX's, too (technically a 2007 model, delivered in 2006). I kept it for the AWD; the first winter I had my S, I drove it a handful of times. The second winter, with my S now properly shod with real winter tires, I drove the RDX...once, maybe? It sits. And sits. And sits. When I decide to drive it there's a good chance it won't start. With an AWD Tesla in my immediate future, I think my local NPR station is about to get a vehicle donation.

:biggrin:

Ha! Don't blame you. To be honest, the main reason I am keeping the Acura is to tote the dogs around. They will never see the inside of "The Miss". And they barely get to see the outside either!

I did banish the Acura from the garage though. The girl needs a lot of space.

After I took delivery of the Model S I also had two Prius, so the question was, "which one do I sell?". Denise answered that question by murdering her 2001, so now she drives the 2004.