Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S Plaid on Black Friday. I found that I was mostly used to the turn signals by the end of the test drive, which was about an hour.
Same. In Less then an hour the entire Fear was gone and it was normal. Same for the horn. Place hand on right and it honks ezy pzy. I however must be the outside norm as I truly can’t remember the last time I even used the horn? Some must use it as an emotional statement?

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Same. In Less then an hour the entire Fear was gone and it was normal. Same for the horn. Place hand on right and it honks ezy pzy. I however must be the outside norm as I truly can’t remember the last time I even used the horn? Some must use it as an emotional statement?
Sure. Those who use it as an emotional statement likely have more time to find it though. Some people actually use it as intended to warn someone else they're coming your direction and impact is possible. That's amazing you never have to use your horn though. Amazing drivers where you live.

Reactions: Murtaya
Sure. Those who use it as an emotional statement likely have more time to find it though. Some people actually use it as intended to warn someone else they're coming your direction and impact is possible. That's amazing you never have to use your horn though. Amazing drivers where you live.

To be frank, I can’t remember the last time I used my horn (on purpose) either. I’ve hit it a few times by mistake (by covering the spoke with my hand) - all in exactly the same spot in my neighborhood. Has something to do with how I grip the wheel after executing a certain turn. Strange how muscle memory works.

But otherwise, the only other time I can think of in recent memory is at a railroad trestle underpass nearby - it goes down to a single lane, so courtesy is to blow your horn before entering to let people on the other side know you’re coming. Very old spot - they’d never design a road like that today.

Reactions: dsm363 and Yelobird
So now you have me curious. How often do you use your horn on a monthly basis? Assuming you’re not a cab driver with anger issues I can’t imagine very often. If in an impact warning as you state you may be driving a bit to aggressively?

So now you have me curious. How often do you use your horn on a monthly basis? Assuming you’re not a cab driver with anger issues I can’t imagine very often. If in an impact warning as you state you may be driving a bit to aggressively?
No need to be curious. Not a cab driver and don’t drive aggressively. You’re just an amazing driver I guess with traffic that flows in harmony with the world.

Insurance rates are very high here for a reason. A lot of city traffic and bad drivers. So I’m not using horn on a daily or even weekly basis but I’ve had people come within a second to hitting me by turning directly into me and not looking where they are going. So yes, mashing on the center of the steering wheel to sound the horn was necessary. You’re just around much better drivers it seems. I knew you’d try to spin this on me. Figured that much given your previous posts.

And if the horn placement is perfect, why are they backtracking on the Model 3 and Cybertruck? If you’ve mastered steering with the yoke, why bring back the round steering wheel when the yoke is perfection?

It’s odd that two reviewers with large followings have both said what I’m saying. Along with countless others posts on this topic. But yet you feel I’m making a deal out of nothing and you clearly must be right. There is no possibility that others may have a valid point. Interesting.

And the one year follow up from Marques Brownlee on his Model S. They both the exact same thing about lack of stalks and horn placement.

But I’m sure everyone else is just wrong and they don’t understand owning and driving a Tesla as well as you. That must be it.

It’s odd that two reviewers with large followings have both said what I’m saying. Along with countless others posts on this topic. But yet you feel I’m making a deal out of nothing and you clearly must be right. There is no possibility that others may have a valid point. Interesting.

And the one year follow up from Marques Brownlee on his Model S. They both the exact same thing about lack of stalks and horn placement.

But I’m sure everyone else is just wrong and they don’t understand owning and driving a Tesla as well as you. That must be it.
Seemed like my question was pretty simple? Didn’t recall saying you are wrong Nor request any YouTube validation on why you think your right? lol. Just asked a general question not much to read into. I explained my use case as have a few others. Don’t recall anyone saying your wrong nor that I’m a great driver driving in a wonderful mindful region. Chicago would be a bad example of that.

Reactions: tesltoronto
Seemed like my question was pretty simple? Didn’t recall saying you are wrong Nor request any YouTube validation on why you think your right? lol. Just asked a general question not much to read into. I explained my use case as have a few others. Don’t recall anyone saying your wrong nor that I’m a great driver driving in a wonderful mindful region. Chicago would be a bad example of that.
Well, you consistently question why people have a problem with the new setup and discount anyone who disagrees with you. You explained your case “lol”. They don’t. I’d bet well over half of owners would be happy to go back to center horn and most likely turn signal stalk and gear selector too.

Your attitude has been consistent. So yeah, just asking a question. Ok.

I find it more troubling that you are so confident this is an issue (and a Mod) yet you still don’t Own this to see if it’s an actual issue is puzzling.
Not sure why I thought you were discounting anyone's opinion. Very troubling indeed. Also very puzzling.

So it is an issue for many. Maybe one you don't care about or one that's not an issue for you and that's great. But Tesla has already backtracked on the yoke by bringing back the round steering wheel as standard. They've backtracked on the horn issue for the Model 3 and Cybertruck. They said they'd add back the horn in the center through a software update for all cars from Nov 2021 but likely lied about that and haven't retracted it yet.

I would say a couple of days max. The first day or two, looking down at the buttons to make sure I’m pressing the right one. After about a week the turn signals seem to come pretty natural to me. I still need to look for the highbeams and wiper buttons.

I got the yolk and I love it. I use autopilot a lot especially on long trips and the new hardware is so so so much better than my old 2015 hardware 1.0! The old one used to veer off on country roads. The new one stays locked in with two solid blue lines.

Anyways, back on topic. You will get used to the new wheel or yolk and capacitive touch buttons. Don’t worry about it or give it much thought. Definitely not a dealbreaker in my books.

Frankly, I really like the controls on the Yoke. I also really like the Yoke better than the wheel. I got used to it during the test drive. I guess everyone is different.

I have a 85D and a new MX Plaid. I do have to get adjusted when I drive the 85D after MX. but I think my brain will be happy due to the new tricks it is learning! 😀
Indeed! It’s nice to see some good comments about the yolk, I really enjoy mine as well, and wouldn’t take the wheel back if you paid me the $1350 they charge for the yolk! I kind of wish the horn was in the middle, but I don’t honk the horn much anymore. 😃

Indeed! It’s nice to see some good comments about the yolk, I really enjoy mine as well, and wouldn’t take the wheel back if you paid me the $1350 they charge for the yolk! I kind of wish the horn was in the middle, but I don’t honk the horn much anymore. 😃
I'm glad it works well for some people. I didn't really have a problem with the yoke itself. I think the Cybertruck implements it a little better with steer by wire.

But it would be nice if Model S and X at least had a round steering wheel with traditional turn signal stalk and gear selector and then the more modern yoke with complete lack of stalks and physical buttons for those that like that.

Reactions: easyev
Once you get used the yoke the stalks are so 2020! 😂

My wife’s Y feels confusing to control compared to my MS now that I’ve gotten used to it. I love the fact. It automatically goes forward or back by pressing the brake!
Couldn’t agree more. I too waited to evaluate or express concerns until I gave it a chance and in a very short time I personally think it’s way better. Change doesn’t Always need to mean bad.

Not sure how turn signal stalks or gear selector would be confusing to anyone who has ever driven a car. Change doesn't always need to be bad but it should be done in a way that's an objective improvement over what it's replacing. It appears the capacitive buttons don't have the universal praise some think they do.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot