Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the Air Conditioning in your refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Based on my completely unscientific and anecdotal experience in the last month I've had my car, I've noticed that the air conditioning on my 2023 Model S hasn't been cooling the cabin very well. Granted, it's about 100F here in Socal, but this is my 4th Tesla over the past few years, and previous cars (3 and Y) have all cooled reasonably well. In my new S, it takes the car extraordinarily long (20-30 minutes) to reach temp, while my previous cars reach proper temperature in what seems like a very short amount of time (5-10 minutes).

Has anyone else with previous Teslas noticed a similar issue? I get that the S is bigger than the 3 and Y which may take longer to cool, but wondering if this is normal or should be checked out by service.

How has everybody's HVAC system performed on their refresh Model S?

I have to turn the temp down to 65 or so in my 2020 to get anywhere near comfortable, but it cools OK, if not a bit slow. We generally only get some 90s temps here. To me, it is much like a 60s English car. The heat and AC aren't very effective. I do think Tesla prioritizes the battery heating and cooling, when necessary, over cabin comfort. Also, use the cabin overheat protection and turn on the AC from the App 5 minutes before leaving. May cool it down a little faster

Amazing. That is how I can answer it for my '22 Plaid. Local temp was 108F. Inside temps were 145F. It worked very well. On the road the outside temps on the highway were 120F and no issues keeping the car a comfy 72 and I bumped it up to 76F.

My 22 has the best AC of any vehicle I’ve owned.
Same. I'm only on week two of ownership (used '22, my first Tesla). I was really worried about the vents at first, but it cools down so we'll, I don't need them blowing to any specific place. The seat cooling is SO GOOD! It's been over 100, with heat index of 110-115 this week. So, I'm using a lot of battery with my AC, watching Netflix while I wait for the kids to come out from school. 🤣👌🏻

No problems here in Florida. It doesn't blast arctic air in your face when you turn it on, but it cools down quickly.

Even with the glass roof, the interior doesn't get too hot, even when sitting out for a few hours, and cools off quickly when I get back in the car. I've had no problems. I do have tint, of course, which helps a lot. And I have the cabin overheat protection is set to 100, but it is an option to set it to 90. Even still, I can leave a cold drink in the car for 2 hours in the middle of the day and when I come back there's still ice in the cup...and that's a paper Chipotle cup or something like that, not an insulated thermos.