Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is charging 100% really hurt the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got notified by Tesla delivery team that my M3SR+ is arriving by the end of this month, and I am also booking their authorized tech to install the home charger at my office. I live in an apartment where I cannot install the charger, so I can only install it at work place.

I have read a lot of articles and youtube regarding the M3SR+ real range is about 270km at a 80% charge. Most of these articles and even Tesla suggest that we don't charge it at 100%, but my daily commute is about 120km to work. Ever since I ordered the car, I have been paying more attention to nearby or my regular spots where it has charging station, but most of the time these spots are occupied. That makes me worry if I don't go to office for more than 2 days and I may have a range problem.

Is it okay charge it to 100% every Friday, especially long weekend? I am planning to put lots of miles on the car, and tend to keep it for at least 6 years. I'd like to minimize or prevent battery degradation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have read a lot of articles and youtube regarding the M3SR+ real range is about 270km at a 80% charge. Most of these articles and even Tesla suggest that we don't charge it at 100%, but my daily commute is about 120km to work.

I am not sure if you mean 120km one-way (240km round trip) or 120 km round trip. If the former, you may have a tough time making that on a single charge depending on all the other factors (weather, driving style & speeds, etc.).It MAY be okay, but I would definitely be looking at charging to at least 90%.

A battery that sits at 100% for a long time can cause outgassing and cell expansion. A long time is measured in many months.
This is something that happens to cellphones and laptops as well, especially laptops that stay plugged in. The batteries will swell and may bust the case open, at least deform it. Many of the laptop and cellphone manufacturers are providing profiles that minimize this from occurring, by limiting the max battery charge.
If you only have a 120km commute, you should easily be able to set the max to 90% and stay happy.
It is okay to charge to 100% when you need to, like going on a trip.

If you leave the max setting at 100%, after a few charging sessions, you will get the message that you might want to limit to something lower.