Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the audio interface sort files?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery date is coming up soon enough I'm getting my music flash drive ready.
My current car has an annoying interface that sorts both folders and files within a folder by the order in which they were written to the drive, rather than alphabetically. Makes it quite a chore to set up a flash drive with any coherent organization.

Can someone tell me how the Tesla interface works? Does it do the same annoying thing or will it display folder contents in alphabetical order (whether by filename or by file metadata)? And if it goes by metadata, how would I organize a folder so the contents play in the order I want them? (Does it recognize m3u playlists?)

I went for the upgraded sound system, in case it matters. Thanks in advance.

Thanks - does it go alphabetically by filename or by the artist/song/album name in the metadata?

My music collection is nicely organized with a filename convention that keeps everything in the right order when sorted filename, but if it goes by metadata then all bets are off. So, for example, I'll have files like this:

1973 Dark Side of the Moon 01. Speak to Me.flac
1973 Dark Side of the Moon 02. Breathe.flac
...etc., which keeps everything in the right order when I play music at home on my Sonos system. But if you were to play Dark Side of the Moon in alphabetical order by song title, then it starts with track 8. Not fun!

This is a constant frustration with digital music interfaces. They all seem to assume that everyone's going to rely on the software to build a "library" instead of using the filename and folder structure they've built themselves.