Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does one report a supercharger or a Tesla L2 charger not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one report a supercharger or a Tesla L2 charger not working? I just did a trip from SW Florida to NC and back and the supercharger at Yemassee SC had no power. I have no idea how to report it. Luckily I had enough juice to get to the next supercharger. Then, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Yulee FL and they have 2 CCS chargers and a Tesla 2 cable charger unit. The Tesla charger wasn't working and the desk clerk said it hasn't worked for months and people have contact Tesla but nothing happens. I wonder how they contact Tesla. As a side note, at the Yemassee supercharger a guy was already there pulling an Airstream. He took up 4 stalls but it didn't matter as there was no power. There really should be a drive through slot. I wonder how the cybertruck is going to fit in the current supercharger stalls.

You should report SC issues via Tesla Roadside Assistance. As a precaution, I recommend checking a site like PlugShare right before a trip or during to see if others have reported problems with a SC or other charging stations via the comments or "Check Ins" section.

You should report SC issues via Tesla Roadside Assistance. As a precaution, I recommend checking a site like PlugShare right before a trip or during to see if others have reported problems with a SC or other charging stations via the comments or "Check Ins" section.

I looked at Roadside Assistance but it seems to only apply to the car and appears to be used to get assistance to the car. If I said it wasn't charging, then they would send out a charging vehicle but that wasn't the case. The car was fine and I was able to make it to the next supercharger. Plugshare did not indicate problems with the supercharger. Neither did Tesla navigation.

The level 2 charger is likely the concern of the landlord/owner where ever its installed. For example my work has several L2 chargers some tesla branded and some j1772 chargers. All were paid and are maintained by my work/landlord.

In your case the hotel owner should be the one the fix. Front desk people typically not the owner and thus just want you to leave "happy" so they will tell your issue is someone else's and not the hotel chain when in fact it is.

For example: war in ukraine, covid, inflation, tesla, zombies, etc.. are why we don't do "X, Y, or Z" anymore or why the L2 charger is broken....

Supercharger sites self-report. If the site is down, Tesla almost certainly knows about it or will quickly figure it out.

For broken destination chargers, that’s on the property owners. They can replace their broken destination charger by buying a new one at www.tesla.com. They’re only $400 these days, and any electrician can install them.
The L2 Tesla charger was more than a home system. It was a pedestal with two long cables with a Tesla logo and a notice to call ???? in case of problems. As with the superchargers, there was no number with the "problem call" text. I should have taken a picture. I'll also pay more attention the next time I run across a destination charger.

The L2 Tesla charger was more than a home system. It was a pedestal with two long cables with a Tesla logo and a notice to call ???? in case of problems. As with the superchargers, there was no number with the "problem call" text. I should have taken a picture. I'll also pay more attention the next time I run across a destination charger.
the L2 Tesla while it may be nice is still installed by the landlord. I am not aware of Tesla installing L2 at businesses. I do know that Businesses do install L2 to attract customers.

Grocery stores around us (whole foods & dorothy lane) all have free charging. Also a number of hotels all have free L2 for those staying

Supercharger sites self-report. If the site is down, Tesla almost certainly knows about it or will quickly figure it out.

For broken destination chargers, that’s on the property owners. They can replace their broken destination charger by buying a new one at www.tesla.com. They’re only $400 these days, and any electrician can install them.
You would think so but doesn't always work that way. Went on a long trip last year and required the use of a SC. The car showed the SC was open but upon arrival the entire SC site was offline and was that way for three weeks apparently. Construction work in the area had cut off the power. In car navigation showed the SC was still open and stalls available. A call to Roadside Assistance routed us to a local L2 charger to emergency charge with enough juice to make it to a further away SC which was online. Missed an important event because of that. Very disappointing

A check to the PlugShare app and the local check in comments showed many people had similar issues, with the offline SC, in the week before. If I had known the SC was not working I would have planned a different route.

So I'm always double-checking PlugShare before I go as I can't trust the SC status for the in car navigation. PlugShare is also good for local comments...for example a business hours nearby or how far bathrooms can be.

Reactions: bicar
The L2 Tesla charger was more than a home system. It was a pedestal with two long cables with a Tesla logo
I am now SUPER curious about what this is. I've been following Tesla stuff for about 9-10 years, and as far as I know, Tesla has never made any piece of equipment with two cables, so I really want to know about this thing.

I should have taken a picture.
Yes, please do.

I am now SUPER curious about what this is. I've been following Tesla stuff for about 9-10 years, and as far as I know, Tesla has never made any piece of equipment with two cables, so I really want to know about this thing.

Yes, please do.
ClipperCreek used to sell Level 2 charging stations equipped with Tesla charging connectors (some capable of charging at up to 80A). Some of the ClipperCreek line of EVSEs are even now available with an option for dual charging cords. Perhaps it was one of those EVSE. At some point Tesla stopped the sale of ClipperCreek EVSEs with a Tesla charging connector.

ClipperCreek used to sell Level 2 charging stations equipped with Tesla charging connectors (some capable of charging at up to 80A). Some of the ClipperCreek line of EVSEs are even now available with an option for dual charging cords. Perhaps it was one of those EVSE. At some point Tesla stopped the sale of ClipperCreek EVSEs with a Tesla charging connector.
I looked at the ClipperCreek website and it was a similar unit. The pedestal was about 3-4 feet tall with a cord tray on front and back. It had nice long cables as well. The CCS unit was a different style pedestal but also had 2 long cables.

the L2 Tesla while it may be nice is still installed by the landlord. I am not aware of Tesla installing L2 at businesses. I do know that Businesses do install L2 to attract customers.

Grocery stores around us (whole foods & dorothy lane) all have free charging. Also a number of hotels all have free L2 for those staying

Tesla did pay for destination charges several years ago. I got paid by Tesla to install them at First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, VA in like 2018…

There's a small hotel near me that has four Tesla (gen 2?) Wall Connectors that share power from what must be a 50A circuit (if one vehicle is charging, it charges at 8 kW - if four vehicles are charging, each one charges at 2 kW). Tesla shows this location as Destination Chargers, but incorrectly shows 16 kW max. One of the handles is now broken. When the non-functioning charging station was reported to the hotel, they said those came with the property when they bought it and they had no plans to maintain them - guests are welcome to use them as long as they continue to work.

There's a small hotel near me that has four Tesla (gen 2?) Wall Connectors that share power from what must be a 50A circuit (if one vehicle is charging, it charges at 8 kW - if four vehicles are charging, each one charges at 2 kW). Tesla shows this location as Destination Chargers, but incorrectly shows 16 kW max. One of the handles is now broken. When the non-functioning charging station was reported to the hotel, they said those came with the property when they bought it and they had no plans to maintain them - guests are welcome to use them as long as they continue to work.
How delighfully short-sighted! I certainly wouldn't want broken and poorly maintained equipment at my hotel. They should either repair, or at least remove the broken one.

The Hampton Inn we stay at in Barboursville WVA has 4 EV stalls. All were purchased from Tesla under the original Destination Charger Program back in 2015. There are a total of FOUR EVSEs mounted on two metal posts. One has a Tesla HPWC and a Clipper Creek EVSE with a J-7122 plug and the other post has two Tesla HPWCs. I spoke to the manager one morning when I woke to find all the chargers stations were dead after a bad storm (breaker tripped) and he told me how they bought the equipment with a state/local grant and Tesla picked up the difference. It's great to wake up to a FULL tank when we travel to visit our grandkids in Maryland.

This photo shows this setup.
Vke8uY1.jpg

During a trip last year one of the Tesla HPWC was displaying a RED LED and wouldn't charge, I reported it to the hotel staff and posted this info on PlugShare. It took a few months but it was eventually fixed. I assume they had to find a local electrician that could fix it. PlugShare is reporting all 4 stations are operable based on recent check-ins.

I have seen a non-Tesla charge on the Tesla HPWCs using an adapter if the J-7122 stall is taken, and have observed what must be locals dropping off their EVs charging and coming back hours later to pick them up. But so far since 2020 I have never been unable to charge.

Last edited:
The Hampton Inn we stay at in Barboursville WVA has 4 EV stalls. All were purchased from Tesla under the original Destination Charger Program back in 2015. There are a total of FOUR EVSEs mounted on two metal posts. One has a Tesla HPWC and a Clipper Creek EVSE with a J-7122 plug and the other post has two Tesla HPWCs. I spoke to the manager one morning when I woke to find all the chargers stations were dead after a bad storm (breaker tripped) and he told me how they bought the equipment with a state/local grant and Tesla picked up the difference. It's great to wake up to a FULL tank when we travel to visit our grandkids in Maryland.

This photo shows this setup.
Vke8uY1.jpg

During a trip last year one of the Tesla HPWC was displaying a RED LED and wouldn't charge, I reported it to the hotel staff and posted this info on PlugShare. It took a few months but it was eventually fixed. I assume they had to find a local electrician that could fix it. PlugShare is reporting all 4 stations are operable based on recent check-ins.

I have seen a non-Tesla charge on the Tesla HPWCs using an adapter if the J-7122 stall is taken, and have observed what must be locals dropping off their EVs charging and coming back hours later to pick them up. But so far since 2020 I have never been unable to charge.
For several weeks last year, I frequently saw a recently-purchased used Volt sitting for hours at a time plugged in to a 120-volt receptacle at a local park that I often exercise at. The owner would drive there, plug in, and have someone in a gas-powered vehicle pick him up then take him back later in the day. They almost certainly spent more in gasoline doing this than what they would have spent on electricity if they charged the Volt at home.

I don't know if they got ran off or if they realized they were wasting time and money or if they sold the vehicle, but I no longer see it.