Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you advertise an Electric Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a stream of consciousness moment... we here in the states would "advertise" with a "z"... Electric Nissan Z! Now that would be jazzy! (or for you guys on the other side of the pond...."jassy" /:tounge/:

My point is that EVs SHOULD disparage the competition, it seems like the other car companies are making no bones about taking cheap shots at EVs.
The GM/Kerbeck commercial specifically mentions the "range anxiety" of the Tesla Roadster and Nissan Leaf

If I was an EV manufacturer, I would show oil soaked animals= polluting refinery= gasoline and some kid coughing after a truck went by and then show a solar cell charging an EV or do a "Dyson" type commercial showing the amount of moving parts

The problem for every existing manufacturer is that they already sell plenty of ICEs. An EV isn't just a new model, it's a departure.

People need to question their love affair - not with the car - but with its engine.

I'd like to see an ad which shows all those cliched moments: the father and son working on a car; the camping trip; the weekend drive; the school run; the shopping trip; the guys cruising for chicks in their pimped-up ride etc etc

One difference.

All the cars are hearses and the coffins carry prominent labels of major ICE/oil related incidents/statistics. The drivers and passengers are all oblivious - it's a side of motoring which we choose to ignore.

Towards the end, a voice-over asks:"Isn't it time we buried the internal combustion engine?"

In this context, there is no need to include film of the EV, just the name of the company and a caption: "Love cars, hate engines. Tesla".

Last edited:
And the follow-up ad could be a HUGE State Funeral. Motorcycle outriders, processions, big national cemetary. You think it's the funeral of a national hero or great statesman.

But when the procession stops, they take the engine out of the front of the hearse.

At the graveside the oil executives and the arab sheiks are moved to tears. The engine is lowered into the grave towards the camera looking up. Blackout.

Same caption.

Last edited:
And the follow-up ad could be a HUGE State Funeral. Motorcycle outriders, processions, big national cemetary. You think it's the funeral of a national hero or great statesman.

But when the procession stops, they take the engine out of the front of the hearse.

At the graveside the oil executives and the arab sheiks are moved to tears. The engine is lowered into the grave towards the camera looking up. Blackout.

Same caption.

People have a love affair with cars with ICE's and to knock that is a bit like the "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." campaign. Yes, you might shock people into an awareness that they didn't have, but the backlash would not make it worth it. If you're going to bash oil and ICE's the only successful way would be with something outrageously funny. You can get away with an attack if you use humor - The Daily Show is a good example of this.

An Energy-Independent Future - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/16/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Very funny and at the end you almost want to cry...

People have a love affair with cars with ICE's and to knock that is a bit like the "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." campaign...

An Energy-Independent Future - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/16/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Very funny and at the end you almost want to cry...

Sadly the video is not available in my location.

The problem is that any approach is going to be open to some form of backlash. Econuts will complain that Tesla isn't being green enough with materials and resources. Petrolheads can criticise range and recharging. Everyone can gripe about the price.

Tesla is in the unique position of being able to market a genuinely revolutionary product in a world where consumers don't even like change, let alone revolution. Somebody, somewhere is bound to get upset about what Tesla is doing, just as people are going to take a dislike to Toyota's ad with the Polar Bear. The argument that Tesla should avoid provoking a backlash until they are big like Toyota is just one in a long list. There are thousands of things that could kill a small company like Tesla.

We may as well get people talking about it

Last edited: