Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you get used to and/or trust EAP/NOA/FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EAP - A few drives
NOA - Have not gotten accustomed to it after five months of ownership. We don’t use it.
FSD - The only feature we use is AutoPark, and it recognizes parking spaces about 50% of the time, so we don’t use it very often.

Reactions: St☰v☰
Thanks all! Yes, I've been training myself and the car, TACC is pretty awesome and I feel no issues with that feature. I am comfortable using AP in stop and go traffic (hello Bay Bridge) and it's also much more relaxing. I think at some point on Sundays or something I may try using autosteer at freeway speeds, but for now it's still very nervous to give up control, especially when the road curves or I know that there's a situation that the computer may not quite understand. Thanks for sharing all your experiences though!

I just finished a drive in the NC mountains to get a Christmas tree (5 hour drive home). I used AP as much as possible, even on the wet, twisting, ups and downs, even in 20 foot visibility fog… here's the key: I almost never took my hands off the wheel during the turns.

To the average person, it would have looked like I was driving (and with great precision), but in reality, my Model 3 was doing a fantastic job, and I only intervened 2 or 3 times (though, I tend to expect the car to start turning slightly earlier than is actually necessary).

As visibility improved, the hills smoothed-out, and the turns got less intense, I'd ease-up a bit.

These systems aren't perfect, but they're pretty darn good!

Reactions: mikes_fsd
All good comments, I suppose you "get used to it" by (a) using it, and (b) understanding its capabilities. That's why written advice is no substitute for experience. So, for me (six months with 2019 Model 3 FSD):

1. Using AP on a Fwy has been basically faultless in a given lane with manual lane changes. AP lane changes are faultless until traffic reaches a certain density of traffic, at which point it can't quite predict how the other drivers are going to do, so it simply waits or gives up.

2. Using AP on a surface street is fine, but considering its limitations you could, and should, be ready to take over any moment. Because it cannot stop for lights or stop signs unless there is a car in front (at which point stopping for cars is at the moment excellent) people who use it on surface streets are really, truly, testing it.

3. Auto park is great, but since its slower than a human, I only use it when there are no cars behind me out of politeness.

4. Summon I use ever day, smart summon I use when I can because I think its an important feature, but its not appreciably faster than just walking to the car.

I could write a long post about what it cannot do reliably yet, but FWIW I think that's a bit misleading. That's because for example, the things it cannot do have to be rated on how often the situation arises. For example, AP on a FWY cannot yet do the thing where you notice a car is going to enter the FWY, you are in the right lane, and then you calculate whether you have to slow down, speed up, or change lanes. It does not pick up the car on the on-ramp, although some day it will. But I drove over 400 miles on a road trip and the above situation only happened for about 5 seconds out of the six hours.

• Informative
Reactions: Stomsf
@Southpasfan +1 to all your comments. My opinion is that as AP/FSD get better, they will complement, rather than totally replace, humans. The car will be much better at never-drowsy vigilance, faster reflexes in an emergency, and hour-by-hour dull freeway driving. Humans will be better at navigating the vagaries of confusing junctions/roads (Seattle has some stunning examples, trust me), and anticipating the even more stunning vagaries of other human drivers.

For example, AP on a FWY cannot yet do the thing where you notice a car is going to enter the FWY, you are in the right lane, and then you calculate whether you have to slow down, speed up, or change lanes. It does not pick up the car on the on-ramp, although some day it will.
This is not my experience. My car does slow if the car entering is using its signal. I’ve seen this behavior on a recurring basis

I wish Tesla would publish a list of the scenarios the car should support.