Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the MCU2 upgrade affected the Artsci Front camera kit at all? I'm assuming that you didn't mention it, so it's still working as designed.

If I had to give that up, I'm not sure I'd do the MCU2 upgrade.

Did you disable it before the upgrade as to not add any confusion to the upgrade process?

Yes and that's exactly why - you see right through me. Week before my appointment, I went in and removed it. Hide the cable from the front cam and disconnected power restoring original rear cam to APE cable back the way it was.

Mine especially being their first, I did not want to risk the distraction or rejection from the SC team when they saw it.
I am considering playing around with adding front cam back later.Especially to see if its a clearer dash cam image than the windshield one.When Tesla rolled out Smart Summon, I discovered that "front cam up" adversely impacted Smart Summon, - I think because it was confused. So, I had nearly completely stopped using front cam then.

After the performance improvement in maps and Nav, the benefits of dashcam and Sentry choices I can add. Even the improved response from Summon and Smart Summon (mine seldom worked before) I will at least temporarily give up front cam. In addition, I think my eMMC is failing. 1 year left on warranty, but it would be just another of the same. Now, 4 times bigger and industrial strength eMMC? OTA would not download. Now, its like a new car, couple of paint problems outside, but seems like a brand new car. Yes, I would do it again.

I don't need or care about the arcade or Netflix/Hulu/Youtube in the car. BUT, this refresh just improved my car's value over those without. I believe it will pay for it self in full or more than just part with resale value. I was considering a new S this summer and selling this one myself. But now, it seems so new with same features new, I've pushed a new one to at least next summer. Who knows, by then a refreshed refresh S will be out?

And I am thinking of trying a AP2.0 front and side camera swap to improve the color for the dashcam and Sentry. I guess you remember, I also have dual DR900-2CH for 360 video in mine, but you can't have too much dashcam/sentry coverage.

@Akikiki Thanks very much for the rundown on this. As a fellow MCU1/AP2.0 owner (April 2017 build), this is exactly the information I was hoping to see. The footage from the Tesla cam is a cool bonus. It was soothing just to watch you drive around Hawaii :).

I already have Blackvue cameras front and rear that have better quality than the Tesla cam. But having the extra cameras available to record in Sentry Mode and the ability to (with the new firmware) be able to view that footage directly from the car adds a lot of convenience. Having the extra sentry mode cameras plus the Blackvue's will make for a good combination I think.

Thanks for all the information and the videos. I was on the fence with the MCU2 update (I wasn't excited about losing AM radio - couldn't care less about FM though) but your write-up has me leaning towards taking the upgrade.

Plus - I think realistically it may be the only way to get my pre-paid HW3 upgrade in the near future. From what I understand, Tesla has been having problems with the MCU1 computers + HW3 combo. They'll probably eventually figure it out in software...but that could be 6 months or a year down the line IMO.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have a year left on warranty. My eMMC will likely last until then even with problems downloading OTAs. So jump ahead 1 year+ and my eMMC has failed. I have to pay the current $1700ish to replace the MCU1 with a refurbished MCU1 and same size 8 GB eMMC - same performance same problems.

Currently if my MCU1/eMMC fails today or before the one year, I do not have the option to pay the $900 difference and move to MCU2. They have already said, they will not upgrade to MCU2 from failed MCU1 under warranty or out of warranty. So, a year from now, I don't have the same financial advantage of moving to MCU2 as I do today. I'd have to repair the MCU1 and if I still want MCU2, pay for it too. We've been whining to Tesla and Elon for this upgrade for the last two years. I wanted it then.

Its a given that MCU1 eMMCs will fail like hard drives or SSD's in computers and other things. The numbers of failures seem to be 2015 failing faster than most. Tesla puts the same thing back in again.

With the MCU2 upgrade I got a new MCU screen, 4X larger eMMC, 5 GHz WiFi, performance boost, Tesla Dash cam, Sentry mode, - TODAY and - I am out in front of the failure. I have kicked the failure can down the road and around the curve out of sight. Performing the MCU2 upgrade is about $900 more on my schedule - when I want to do it, than the MCU1 $1700ish repair when I never know when its going to happen. If it fails without warning, how much additional could it cost me above the $1700? What else out of warranty might I have to pay for? Tow to the SC? Lost of work for at least 1 day. Some people are waiting 2+ weeks for the refurbished MCU1.

With the performance boost and I firmly believed an improved value of the car, I can't lose. I can now brag that mine is MCU2/AP3.0 when I am ready to sell. Anyone that knows Teslas knows that it better now and worth it. I would not gain anything if I traded it to Tesla - they would not care, but selling to a private seller will be easier and worth more than the same without MCU2 they would pay from Tesla. And its here now - available now. Who knows if the MCU2 upgrade will be available a year or two from now. I don't want to take those chances.

Reactions: CameronB and croman
Please let me know when you do, and if it works with MCU2! I don't have AP2 so no smart summon, etc (just regular crash-into-the-garage summon), so I know AP1 doesn't rely on the rear camera. Thanks.

Of course I will remember to tell you - specifically.
I forget you are AP1. My SA said, he's been telling non-AP and AP1 owners they can not upgrade to MCU2.
If I were you, I would check with my SC and see if you have that choice.

If Tesla continues to deny this upgrade to for non-AP and AP1 owners, without buying a brand new Tesla to get nearly all the same features/benefits and extended health for owning a Tesla, that makes AP2.0 cars a "dandy" purchase. It will make AP2.0 cars a premium in the resale market. What do we do if we have AP1 and want the new stuff? Buy brand new or trade up to late 16'-early '18 to get a AP2.0 then spend $2500 to upgrade it? I believe there are lots of people will see this path vice and go for it.

Hide the cable from the front cam and disconnected power restoring original rear cam to APE cable back the way it was.

Are you saying that you intercepted the rear camera cable before the APE? Couldn't you tap it between the APE and the MCU? (I would think that wouldn't impact Smart Summon.) It would impact the sentry/dashcam functionality since, as far as I know, the MCU2 does the actual recording of the rear camera.

Currently if my MCU1/eMMC fails today or before the one year, I do not have the option to pay the $900 difference and move to MCU2. They have already said, they will not upgrade to MCU2 from failed MCU1 under warranty or out of warranty. So, a year from now, I don't have the same financial advantage of moving to MCU2 as I do today. I'd have to repair the MCU1 and if I still want MCU2, pay for it too.

Who knows if the MCU2 upgrade will be available a year or two from now. I don't want to take those chances.

Hello Akikiki,
From your info above, and just so I'm clear (I have a 2017 S with an MCU1 with AP2.5 & pre-paid FSD), right now I could purchase the Infotainment Upgrade & move to an MCU2 + IC & have my HW3 installed for $2,500 + tax.
However, if I wait (say a year or so after my original warranty ends) & I want to move to the MCU2 upgrade it won't be available?
Is this Infotainment Upgrade just a limited time offer? If so, do you know how long this offer will be available?
Based on the economy at the moment, I'd prefer not to spend the money ATM if I really didn't have to (especially considering FSD isn't actually ready for prime time yet)
Thanks!

sealbeach100d,
"However, if I wait (say a year or so after my original warranty ends) & I want to move to the MCU2 upgrade it won't be available?"

That's not what I am saying. I don't know if it will be available. I believe if you pinned Tesla against a wall and asked, they would say that they don't know if it will be available a year from now. No guarantees is what I believe.

Ahh. Thanks for the info.
When I read this "They have already said, they will not upgrade to MCU2 from failed MCU1 under warranty or out of warranty." I took it as meaning in or out of warranty I wouldn't be able to move to an MCU2 if my MCU1 failed.
Made me think Tesla had said something about future failed MCU1 to MCU2 updates.

Last edited:
No sir - not if your MCU1 failed. I am not saying if your MCU1 has failed they would not. I am saying so far, owners currently with a failed MCU1 Tesla has turned down doing the MCU2 upgrade instead. I know this sounds confusing. Its not been "if your MCU1 has failed at some time in the past, they would not upgrade you". It seems some of the cars with failed MCUs are not AP2.0s. And we don't yet know if they are going to make the MCU2 available to non-AP and AP1 cars.

I look for and read on TM and TMC about failed MCU1s. I count them. And there are non-Tesla 3rd party people fixing failed Tegra/eMMC boards. I am in touch with them sometimes via PM and email.

There's owners reporting their MCU1 just failed and they asked Tesla to let them buy the MCU2 upgrade and Tesla is saying no. Many of these reports are from Feb and Mar right after the Upgrade was announced and was before any MCU2 upgrades had been done or schedule. For a while I think, most people have been anxiously waiting for that Tesla email inviting them to request the MCU2 upgrade. And so we thought no one was getting the MCU2 Upgrade.

So, there's this twilight zone of owners that had failed MCU1s (I know some of them are non-AP and AP1 cars) and since their car was down and they had to get the MCU fixed anyway, they were asking if they could get the MCU2 upgrade. The answers they reported were someone different. Some saying, Tesla said it wasn't available. Some saying theirs could not be done. Some saying they were simply told No. So, here in the first couple of months, there's no reports of anyone with a failed MCU1 that has be able to get Tesla to install MCU2 instead of fixing their failed MCU1. I don't see the difference that Tesla would turn them down, but so far, they have. Maybe this will change after a while. Who knows?

Last edited:
@Akikiki Can you do all us 2.0 owners a favor? Can you, if possible, remove your glove box and take a picture of the wiring for APE3 in your car? I'm wondering what Tesla did for the backup camera wires (APE's backup camera in/out swapped to the other side of ape2.5/3.0). Did they add extenders to the backup camera in/out? Happy to chat through it if you're willing.

@Akikiki Can you do all us 2.0 owners a favor? Can you, if possible, remove your glove box and take a picture of the wiring for APE3 in your car? I'm wondering what Tesla did for the backup camera wires (APE's backup camera in/out swapped to the other side of ape2.5/3.0). Did they add extenders to the backup camera in/out? Happy to chat through it if you're willing.
kdday, I can. I will do that. gimme a day or so.

Maybe while I am in there this time, I will put a zipper on it. Been in and out so many times.

• Love
Reactions: appleguru