Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Model S Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow ... I think the prices will be higher, though.

How about AWD - if it comes as an option on the Model S - would anyone go for it? Not many off-road places in HK, and snow is not really ... an issue.

For me - the real concern is what will come first: My Tesla model S, or the end of the FRT waiver.

I also suspect they will be higher, but lets see. Bottom line is complexity of change for HK vs number of cars sold.

Tesla have already said no 4WD - not even for their darling Norway (where they definitely need it).

The FRT situation is terrifying. If they only start deliveries early 2014, they have just a few months to deliver hundreds of cars - not possible for the small team they have here. We are talking to government and trying to push for an extension, but no news yet.

I also suspect they will be higher, but lets see. Bottom line is complexity of change for HK vs number of cars sold.

Tesla have already said no 4WD - not even for their darling Norway (where they definitely need it).

The FRT situation is terrifying. If they only start deliveries early 2014, they have just a few months to deliver hundreds of cars - not possible for the small team they have here. We are talking to government and trying to push for an extension, but no news yet.

I hope there was some way I could help (regarding the FRT). It is not just you and me, but to get some market penetration of EVs - for the benefit of all of HK. MAYBE they could reconsider the FRT, and make some kind of gradual change. Let's say for instance 0% FRT until end of 2014, then 10% the following year and so on, until it reaches ... whatever level is politically acceptable, maybe 50% of ICE cars? They could also just invoke a MPG derived FRT - like they do in many countries. That way, EVs are automatically credited for their lack of exhaust.

As a full-blown Tesla S with all the best specs will be roughly 1M HKD March 31st, it will be roughly 2M HKD on April 1st - a jump in the price of 100% overnight is just not a good way for EVs to break into the market.

When people realise how much can be saved in fuel and maintenance, they will "see the light" and go EV. Of course there is the battery, but with an 85 pack having 8 years/free milage MINIMUM then ... so what? If I still have my Tesla S in 2022, I think I can live with 80% of 500 km range (and who knows how cheap batteries are by then?). Another key point is the waiting time. It's not for everyone to put down money for a reservation, for a car they don't know the price or delivery date for. When Teslas one day are available straight out of the stores, or at least with only few weeks delivery time, then a lot more people will get one.

I would really like my Tesla S - TOMORROW! - but on the other hand, I won't be able to afford it until after new year, so just PLEASE Tesla, make my model S ready by around Chinese New Year 2014, then I am happy as can be :) - and speaking of that, does anyone know what kind of financing and insurance will be available? I am looking for something like an 80% finance deal over 2-4 years.

About the AWD on model S - I think he said no AWD yet ... ? I think it's fine they just focus on getting cars into the market, then deal with these extras later. Those who really want/need AWD can sell second hand and buy a new one, when AWD becomes available. Just like those who always buy the newest iPhone model every time it's released.

It can't hurt to write in to secretary of the environment, who should be driving the FRT incentive issue. I have already.

I've also been trying to setup a meeting. But that is harder.

It is tough that we don't have any EV organization here. Plug in Hong Kong, anyone?

It is also essential that HK SAR and building developers lead the way in solar PVs and wind turbines in HK - as most people live in apartments, they don't have access to roof space for PVs, let alone wind turbines! I so wish I could have made my own electricity - and then some - to power domestics as well as charging my future Tesla S. Although no emissions, I still don't know where the electricity comes from - it could be from the coal power plant across the bay! Still much better than ICE, but 100% solar would just have been going all the way.

Have you ever looked down on lower rooftops in HK? A vast area of ... nothingness, a few fans or air con inlets, but mainly ... just nothing. It's a shame all this space isn't used to augment all those air cons running through the summer, burning fossils to feed them. There are many wind blown islands here, there could easily be put up some wind turbines, and PVs - and it would make HK look better and cleaner!

It seems the production rate is now above 400 vehicles pr week. If they don't have too many issues moving the steering wheel and pedals across to the right side, I figure once they start delivering, things could move quickly. I suspect the main production will still be LH drives, but at least, the potential is there, to get up to speed with RH drives - especially if there is any issue selling RH drives fast enough.

I am sure Tesla HK (and US) are aware that there will be a lot of cancelled orders, for those orders extending past the April Fools Day 2014.

For what a fool, to buy a Tesla on April 1st, and pay a million HKD extra!

- - - Updated - - -

It can't hurt to write in to secretary of the environment, who should be driving the FRT incentive issue. I have already.

I've also been trying to setup a meeting. But that is harder.

It is tough that we don't have any EV organization here. Plug in Hong Kong, anyone?

Make it easier for us, Mark, if you list name and address of the secretary of the environment, and maybe some inspiration as to what to write (for us who don't know much about it), more will do it. Writing SCMP, Apple Daily (yeah right!) and other newspapers, trying to get them on the case might be something too?

Never having purchased a car before in HK, I just looked into the FRT - forgive me if you all knew this already, but for those who didn't, here goes:

Here is how to calculate it:

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...mportation_and_registration_of_mot/index.html

(It was revised latest in February 2011: http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201102/23/P201102230133.htm in case you wondered)

As it stands, after March 31st, 2014, we will have to apply these taxes:

(a) on the first $150,000 40%
(b) on the next $150,000 75%
(c) on the next $200,000 100%
(d) on the remainder 115%

I did some calculations for you already:

Price before tax - tax - total price

(all prices in 1000s of HKD)

500 - 470 - 970
550 - 827.5 - 1,337.5
600 - 885 - 1,485
650 - 942.5 - 1,592.5
700 - 1,000 - 1,700
750 - 1,057.5 - 1,807.5
800 - 1,115 - 1,915
850 - 1,172.5 - 2,022.5
900 - 1,230 - 2,130
950 - 1,287.5 - 2,237.5
1000 - 1,345 - 2,345

This is to the best of my knowledge of how the rules are applied.

So when we get the HK pricing eventually: Go choose your options, and see above how much you have to bleed extra (in case you don't make delivery by March 31st 2014).

Some points of interest:

- As the tax is most steep after 500K, that is where all the options are going to be (115%).

- A medium spec Tesla will (after 1-4-14) generate 1M HKD to HK SAR

- Anything you add to the basic production Tesla model S after March 31st, 2014 - will cost you MORE THAN DOUBLE UP of the original price.

- A FULL spec Tesla model S will probably cost just over 1 million HKD until April Fools Day 2014 (Signature Performance, with all the extras you can get)
- A ZERO spec Tesla model S will probably cost just over 1 million HKD after April Fools Day 2014 (scraped down production model, smallest battery)

- In other words, most likely (not knowing HK prices yet), the most expensive Tesla model S BEFORE 1-4-14, will be CHEAPER than the CHEAPEST PRODUCTION MODEL AFTER 1-4-14

- If the FRT exemption isn't revised, an owner can potentially make 1.25 to 1.5M HKD on selling his (highest spec) model S after 1-4-14, as the price will go from around 1M to 2.5M in a split second

I took my sister and nephew for a test drive Friday. Kenneth suggested to use the European Tesla website as a reference to price your MS with your desired options. It is because the European pricing includes fees such as freight and import. Although it is not the same but it should be close.

thanks and its a useful reference before HK price has been announced.

I took my sister and nephew for a test drive Friday. Kenneth suggested to use the European Tesla website as a reference to price your MS with your desired options. It is because the European pricing includes fees such as freight and import. Although it is not the same but it should be close.

If you choose Denmark, where the prices are released now, you can almost use the prices directly, just add 10%. In Denmark, there are no normal car taxes on pure EVs (the equivalent of FRT), but there is a 25% sales tax, even on electrical cars, as this is applicable to just about anything in Denmark. For combustible cars, there are PLENTY taxes, much more than HK!

Because of the exchange rate with the Danish currency (DKK), which is around 1.38 HKD to one DKK, against the Danish 25% sales tax gives a combined increase of just over 10%.

The 10% accounts for both exchange rate and 25% sales tax in one.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_DK/models/design

Base model, no extras, 60 kWh battery 566 450 DKK, add 10% and you get around 625 000 HKD.

Add all the extras (but base model, and except cold weather package), and you get 735 250 DKK, add 10%, and it's around 810 000 HKD.

Performance model, with all the extras (less cold weather), 914 700 DKK or around 1 010 000 HKD

Because HK has more of a gap between rich and poor, and because there is no sales tax, I would wager to GUESS that the HK prices will be a little higher than those above. This is what is often the case with electronics like cameras, brand name computers and so on.

So my guess would be a price range in HK of 650 000 HKD to 1 050 000 HKD

(don't know for the Signature though)

I seriously do not understand what take them so freaking long to announce the price. Are they just adjusting the price base on the popularity?

I suspect, partly.

A large portion of the cost of making the cars suitable for the HK market, as well as doing business here, is a fixed cost. How much of that to be assigned to each car depends on the number of cars.

So, far example, say it costs HK$2million to get the car suitable for the Hong Kong market. If there is 1 car sold, the per-car allocation is very different to if there is 1,000 cars sold.

Just like Canada, and then Europe, they'll probably release prices at the time they need to get people to lock in their orders for production. I'd guess late this year.

I wonder if they would invest Super Charger Station in Hong Kong. If they will, then the fix cost calculation makes more sense. I have talk to my management office of my apartment and they do not allow me to install charging station. If there is a super charger station in Hong Kong, it will solve all the problem no matter how far they built it.

I wonder if they would invest Super Charger Station in Hong Kong. If they will, then the fix cost calculation makes more sense. I have talk to my management office of my apartment and they do not allow me to install charging station. If there is a super charger station in Hong Kong, it will solve all the problem no matter how far they built it.
You don't really need the HPWC (which is 80Amp@240V). However, if you purchase the twin charger option, it makes sense to install the HPWC. Otherwise, the regular 240V outlet in Hong Kong is fine to use with the UMC which comes with your Model S. It would be good to make sure the 240V outlet is 40Amp. 40Amp@240V is 9.6kW, it will juice up your Model S from 0% to 100% SOC in less than 9 hours (while you sleep and eat and shower).

Any news on the HK pricing or expected delivery schedule?

We are almost in November 13 now, and I still haven't heard anything. Until then, I will stick to my prediction, as mentioned above. .65 to 1.05 M HKD. In any case, no matter what the price will be, I cannot pay any Tesla up front ... I need a good financing, mainly the down payment size will be relevant to me.