Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging issues - "External Charging Equipment..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone!

Been having a somewhat weird issue with home charging. I am using the cable that came with the vehicle and plugging into standard outlets. At first I had the issue of the charger stopping intermittently. After reading more about this I learned it could be problematic old wiring. However, what I am seeing is that sometimes I can charge for days with no issues and other times it won't charge.

Most recently, this morning I had an issue in my home garage where I have not had as many issues and it typically charges with no issues. The issue was I plugged in the charger and it says "Starting to Charge" and then after maybe 30-60 seconds it alternates these two messages on the left side of the screen:
- "unable to charge - disconnect and retry"
- "External Charging Equipment not providing power - Check power source or try different equipment"

I tried two other outlets and got the same issue on all of them. They are all in the same garage but not sure why I would be getting this issue now vs the previous three months where I have not had issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Everyone!

Been having a somewhat weird issue with home charging. I am using the cable that came with the vehicle and plugging into standard outlets. At first I had the issue of the charger stopping intermittently. After reading more about this I learned it could be problematic old wiring. However, what I am seeing is that sometimes I can charge for days with no issues and other times it won't charge.

Most recently, this morning I had an issue in my home garage where I have not had as many issues and it typically charges with no issues. The issue was I plugged in the charger and it says "Starting to Charge" and then after maybe 30-60 seconds it alternates these two messages on the left side of the screen:
- "unable to charge - disconnect and retry"
- "External Charging Equipment not providing power - Check power source or try different equipment"

I tried two other outlets and got the same issue on all of them. They are all in the same garage but not sure why I would be getting this issue now vs the previous three months where I have not had issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Either the Mobile Connector isn't liking what it's seeing from the power receptacle, or there is something wrong with the Mobile Connector itself.

What voltage is displayed on the screen when this happens, does it fluctuate at all?

Make sure the connector at the car end is fully plugged in. I have seen quite a few reports on the forums about connectors that are a little tight, especially when new. It should refuse to lock in place if not fully engaged, but apparently that doesn't always happen? Anyway, worth checking.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Make certain that the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter is fully inserted into the Mobile Connector chassis. Don't let the Mobile Connector hang supported only by the receptacle and power plug. You can use a wall hook and a small bungee or a velcro wrap to hold the Mobile Connector chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a Chassis Mount for just this purpose.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Thanks for the comments everyone! Been continuing to test this to try to understand what it is going on to no avail. I have fairly maniacally made sure the cable was all the way in the wall outlet with support for the cable coming away from that with no luck. I have jiggled to make sure the male end is firmly into the charging port.

I have now experienced the issue on three completely different outlets at three different properties/locations. Sometimes it will charge for 15 hours then just stop when well short of the target and say charging interrupted. If at that point I unplug the whole operation and let it sit for a minute or two before plugging it back in it still won’t work.

Starting to wonder if I got a bad cable.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Been continuing to test this to try to understand what it is going on to no avail. I have fairly maniacally made sure the cable was all the way in the wall outlet with support for the cable coming away from that with no luck. I have jiggled to make sure the male end is firmly into the charging port.

I have now experienced the issue on three completely different outlets at three different properties/locations. Sometimes it will charge for 15 hours then just stop when well short of the target and say charging interrupted. If at that point I unplug the whole operation and let it sit for a minute or two before plugging it back in it still won’t work.

Starting to wonder if I got a bad cable.
I would open a service request using the Tesla app on your phone. Briefly state that the Mobile Connector fails to charge using multiple outlets. Tesla Mobile Service should be able to bring you a replacement Mobile Connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H