Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Model 3's new 17 speaker soundsystem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting tidbits coming out about the "improved" sound system

Sawyer Merritt states-

New 17 speaker sound system (up from 14 before). It now includes 2 subwoofers, and 2 amplifiers.

Subs are now free air sitting in the rear deck. Look below

New speaker bar in the roof ( bet two of the extra speakers are here above the drivers head in the roof support).

looking at the pictures, the ambient speakers has been moved from top of A pillar to the front door, no doubt to ease production.

1693619314468.png

Will need a shallow 8 inch (guessing) aftermarket sub if upgrading.

This type of subwoofer typically requires the car has good sound dampening and tightly installed parts to reduce rattling, distortion, etc.

Hopefully Tesla delivers quality sound….

Traditional boombox requires a much heavier and bigger magnet and you can feel the vibration of the sound.

I remember older cars that I had used to have the same kind of new Tesla Model 3's subwoofers with very a much smaller magnet.

It counts on the trunk as a tight enclosure for the speakers. Thus, your trunk needs to be closed and your rear seats need to be up in order to create a tight speaker enclosure.

I subjectively feel the smaller magnet setup is not as strong as the traditional subwoofer boombox from previous Tesla models.

The advantage of this current setup is less cost! It's a win for your stock price.

Reactions: jbrady3324
Traditional boombox requires a much heavier and bigger magnet and you can feel the vibration of the sound.

I remember older cars that I had used to have the same kind of new Tesla Model 3's subwoofers with very a much smaller magnet.

It counts on the trunk as a tight enclosure for the speakers. Thus, your trunk needs to be closed and your rear seats need to be up in order to create a tight speaker enclosure.

I subjectively feel the smaller magnet setup is not as strong as the traditional subwoofer boombox from previous Tesla models.

The advantage of this current setup is less cost! It's a win for your stock price.
Neodymium magnets, close to or just as strong as the bigger cheaper magnets. Yes, Tesla is trading the cost of having that Poly box made and using two sub drivers instead of one. Again, guessing they are 8 inch woofers, you get double the surface area moving air, so not surprised they state more "dynamic".