Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-Five to the 2.52.22 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard no. You're ill preparing both of them for a real world in which effort matters not a single iota, but results do.

Effort doesn't matter "a single iota"? You must live a different world than me. Are you an employer? I'd way rather have a "B" school grade employee who applies maximum effort to everything than an "A" grade employee who gives no effort at all. In my world, things like effort, desire to do well, and ingenuity are far more important than school grades.

Here's some other food for thought:

A students, on the other hand, succeed in high school because they delivered what the system wanted. They’re often not the type of people to buck the status quo and create something new. A study of 81 high school valedictorians in Illinois illustrates that point. Fifteen years after graduation, these academic champions had turned into solid citizens, accountants, lawyers, engineers and doctors. But not one of them became an entrepreneur or achieved “wildly off-the-charts success,” says Karen Arnold, an associate professor in Boston College’s education school. “They’re not eminent mould-breaker types. Face it, in high school you’ve got to do what the teacher tells you.” People who are hugely successful have a “single-minded obsession within a single domain. They’re not going to make sure the angel food cake rises in home ec.”

That D- student who rose to the occasion and got a "B" likely has far more potential for wildly off-the-chart success and results than those A students (at least in my world he does). He probably got that D- because school bored him. I'd praise him as a teacher for significantly raising his grade. There's enough praise to go around for the A students too but to suggest that effort does not matter but results do isn't borne out by the study referenced above. If “wildly off-the-charts success,” is not "results" then we agree to disagree.

What's the topic of this thread again? ;)

Effort doesn't matter "a single iota"? You must live a different world than me. Are you an employer? I'd way rather have a "B" school grade employee who applies maximum effort to everything than an "A" grade employee who gives no effort at all. In my world, things like effort, desire to do well, and ingenuity are far more important than school grades.
It's not that black and white, but I think I agree with you...

You give the hard working B-student an assignment at work, he might not be able to figure it out, but he'll work countless hours trying. So you spend more time mentoring and helping him out, but the work gets done eventually.

You give the lazy A-student an assignment, he'll complete it quickly without intervention and will then spend the next 4 hours surfing Tesla Motors Club the web before saying he's done.

I am. In my world, I'd rather have an employee take 15 minutes to do something correctly and go play golf for the rest of the day, than someone taking 2 weeks working nights and weekends and then I have to go and redo it.

Yes, it happens. Frequently.

Here's a little famous Napoleon anecdote for you:

"Someone once asked Napoleon how he decided where to assign soldiers. Napoleon’s reply was that it’s simple: soldiers are either smart or dumb, lazy or energetic.
  • The smart and energetic I make field commanders. They know what to do and can rally the troops to do it.
  • The smart and lazy I make generals. They also know what to do, but they’re not going to waste energy doing what doesn’t need to be done.
  • The dumb and lazy I make foot soldiers.
But what about the dumb and energetic? “Those,” Napoleon replied, “I shoot.” "

• Funny
Reactions: Lex and Max*

Such a "study" means nothing unless it found that out of 81 non-valedictorians the results were significantly different. Further evidence that if a field has to qualify the word "science" (e.g., "social science") it isn't a science to begin with.

Topic? We don't have to stay on no steekin' topic! ;)

Reactions: deonb
Agreed that in the harsh real world it's the outcome that matters, not the effort.

But, hard work is its own reward.

So make sure to exercise :)

I love this update too and don't mind a high-five to the Tesla team for delivering. A high-five is not an A. It's more of a positive buddy-to-buddy affirmation -- we're all on the same page again. I can go back to absolutely loving my car.

I wanted to post a positive post giving Tesla's software team a High-Five for the latest FW update 2.52.22

I was very vocal with several threads about the .114 update that butchered several features of A/P. With the latest update we now have our:

+(5) mph setting back with AutoSteer
(5)0 50 mph slowdown on the expressway AFTER having already past a parked car on the freeway GONE
(5) band equalizer sliders now stay set to your settings.

The three 5's deserver a HIGH-FIVE!!!!

Thank you Tesla for listening to owners and emails and voicemails with our concerns.

I just installed it yesterday. Haven't driven it yet (I have a broken rear door window) but I'd held off installing anything when I found out they removed the +5 MPH as that would severely limit auto pilot for me.

But the reason I installed it, and I didn't even know they restored the +5 limit, is because of the fob/profile linking. My wife has been complaining about that bitterly since we got rid of our Infiniti and bought the S. Now she'll only be able to complain about no lighted vanity mirrors, no 360 camera, and no door pockets :p

AP1.0 2016 Refresh S75D:
I also think 2.52.22 is a major enhancement to previous s/w. They have added multiple improvements that I think I am only discovering as I am using it more.
  • Intelligent "hold steering wheel" nag? I think this nag perhaps has a "reward" system built in. If I respond to the first nag quickly (e.g. not wait for the white flashes), I get rewarded with lesser nags during that ride. I have felt this after multiple rides. We already knew that the nags appear more frequently at higher speeds and rarely during commute/slow speed drives. I used to get 3 to 4 nags during my 15mile freeway commute, now I am getting only 2 (similar speeds/traffic).
  • truck love now lost? I passed a few trucks this weekend and never once felt the truck love/lust (ACK that I am a new owner still and hadn't driven enough earlier to notice the love/lust)
  • smoother braking: the stop-n-go traffic experience during commute time is way smoother (it was already good with .114, but now frankly quite amazing). The brakes apply ever so smoothly and steadily until the car comes to a stop that I think it is now performing better than most human drivers would be able to master. This also requires putting high quality brake applicator motors (or whatever they might be called, to depress the pedal experience) in our cars - thanks Tesla for not skimping on those.
  • Lane change improved? I feel the lane change which was a gimmick earlier has improved slightly. Upon indicator application, I think the AP s/w tries to do a forced instant reading of the sonars before attempting to speed up & change lanes. This is still not a fool proof system and not worth "let me test it while next to a vehicle to see what it does".
Great job to Tesla AP engineers and QA team. I am sure they were working late hours during holidays to get us this update. cheers!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChrisJ and sorka

But the reason I installed it, and I didn't even know they restored the +5 limit, is because of the fob/profile linking. My wife has been complaining about that bitterly since we got rid of our Infiniti and bought the S. Now she'll only be able to complain about no lighted vanity mirrors, no 360 camera, and no door pockets :p

Well that looks like a net loss to me. Get rid of one complaint and get three new ones.
Guess I will have to re-evaluate software updates in future and factor in the predicted complaints level.

Oh wait - I forgot she doesn't drive it because it is too big - talk about one complaint to rule them all ...

This version still has rapid deceleration on freeways when it senses a stopped vehicle in a contiguous lane. I was traveling in the car pool lane at 75 on the 405 in SoCal today when stopped traffic in the left lane prompted the car to haul down to 50 pretty quickly. Fortunately no other vehicle was closely following. Tesla needs to fix this.

This version still has rapid deceleration on freeways when it senses a stopped vehicle in a contiguous lane. I was traveling in the car pool lane at 75 on the 405 in SoCal today when stopped traffic in the left lane prompted the car to haul down to 50 pretty quickly. Fortunately no other vehicle was closely following. Tesla needs to fix this.

I think that is what Tesla intends. The real problem is or was when the car was doing this whenever it passed a vehicle stopped on the shoulder. But I am fairly certain that Tesla doesn't want the car on autosteer and TACC passing a lane of stopped traffic at 75 MPH.

If you are concerned, just override TACC by stepping on the pedal as soon as the slow down starts.

Autosteer and TACC are always going to be a compromise. If you want more control, you simply need to take control.

I wanted to post a positive post giving Tesla's software team a High-Five for the latest FW update 2.52.22

I was very vocal with several threads about the .114 update that butchered several features of A/P. With the latest update we now have our:

+(5) mph setting back with AutoSteer
(5)0 50 mph slowdown on the expressway AFTER having already past a parked car on the freeway GONE
(5) band equalizer sliders now stay set to your settings.

The three 5's deserver a HIGH-FIVE!!!!

Thank you Tesla for listening to owners and emails and voicemails with our concerns.

Well, I agree that it fixed the equalizer. Mine has stayed as set over all my restarts for a week. BUT -- the audio system switches sources unexpectedly and annoyingly while the car is shut down. Not every time, but it has happened several times. It seems to default back to the FM radio. This was a known bug earlier and I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.

Do others also find this to be the case?

Well, I agree that it fixed the equalizer. Mine has stayed as set over all my restarts for a week. BUT -- the audio system switches sources unexpectedly and annoyingly while the car is shut down. Not every time, but it has happened several times. It seems to default back to the FM radio. This was a known bug earlier and I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.

Do others also find this to be the case?

I too have noticed that the equalizer issue seems to be resolved. No, I have not seen the audio system switching issue you have described.

[YES] +5 fixed
[YES] Equalizer issue fixed

[Nope] Audio system erratically switches (to FM radio)

I installed the update but do not get the +5 MPH on non-divided roads. Am I the only one?

This has been talked about a lot. My guess is that you have your speed assist set to the speed limit, or to less than +5. Change that to +5 or higher, and I expect you will find that +5 works for you.

With this version of the firmware, Tesla has tied the speed assist speed to the "undivided highway max autosteer speed", allowing the lower of the offset or +5. To many this seems like a questionable connection, as some may want the +5, but also want speed assist set lower. We have not figured out why Tesla needed to connect the two.