Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hidden cost of ownership?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 Toyota Sequoia! About 6,000 lbs. Great SUV for what it's worth! But man could that thing suck down the gas. Range was about 290 miles on a full tank of gas, so moving to Tesla was easy from a range standpoint.

That's funny. My DD before I got my Model S was a 2012 3/4 ton Suburban. About 12mpg... it had a 40!!!!! gallon tank so the range was a little better. Filling it was painful.

The only thing I'd classify as hidden is the XPEL ultimate on the rear bumper near the luggage loading. I say hidden because I had no idea the design of the rear loading was such a way that one could so easily damage the paint.

The XPEL on the front I'd do for any car.

The cost for the HPWC and installation was about as expected.

The only additional "hidden" cost was some alien stole my car and put 10,000 miles on it. :)

@Lyon - I had the luggage area done with Xpel too. I have the rear facing seats and my son wants to step on that area when I lift him in or out of the car. I could see that area was going to get damaged quickly so that was a no brainier. That section only cost $80 so that was $ well spent.

@Panoz - necessary? Technically no, I could live without it. But for my road trips, most of which are for work (Austin to Dallas or Austin to Houston) it becomes more of a necessity in being able to charge at reasonable rate when I'm driving around one of my destination cities, particularly for day trips. Sitting around for several hours waiting on a Level 2 just won't cut it. Not mandatory but that $450 is also money well spent IMHO for my particular situation.

I feel the exact opposite. With my two vehicles before the Tesla, a Chevy Silverado 4x4 and a Dodge Viper, I must have done well over 30 upgrades each costing a lot more than my tint, wrap, mats, dead pedal, 100 amp service with two 14-50's (350$) and stickers I got for the Tesla. One of my few disappointments with the Tesla is that there are not more upgrades available for the do it yourself mechanic. No cat back exhaust, no high flow cats, no headers, no superchargers. I miss that...

Let's look at what you have listed.

Of all the options that you have listed:

I can see NEMA outlet and CHAdeMO adapter to be the only ones that are absolutely necessary.

Rest are optional...I agree with you its a beautiful car so we need to spend some extra to keep it that way...When I bought MS initially I laughed at the idea of paint protection and here I am having spent money on clear bra.

Yes you are not alone....But also this car is unlike my other cars...its special...its Tesla...

Do I envy recent release of autopilot features...yes I do... but that is how this car company is ...in other words I should call Tesla a tech company...
Please tell me why I need a CHAdeMo adapter? I do not understand and my DS and OA both said I probably don't need one. I thought it was more a EU convention?

- - - Updated - - -

That's funny. My DD before I got my Model S was a 2012 3/4 ton Suburban. About 12mpg... it had a 40!!!!! gallon tank so the range was a little better. Filling it was painful.
Haha! I had one of those in 1996 and filling it only cost $40! It was awesome! But now they just sound like belching archaic tanks to me. I Enjoy the Silence of the T.

Please tell me why I need a CHAdeMo adapter? I do not understand and my DS and OA both said I probably don't need one. I thought it was more a EU convention?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha! I had one of those in 1996 and filling it only cost $40! It was awesome! But now they just sound like belching archaic tanks to me. I Enjoy the Silence of the T.

This varies by region. For instance, If you want to drive ny <> Pittsburgh without a 200 mile detour, the adapter is a must have. If superchargers cover your long distance routes, you'll have no use for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you may never need one. I would imagine in SoCal with the extensive Supercharger network up and down the West coast that CHAdeMO really would not be needed at all. In TX, we've got the supercharger in Waco between Dallas and Austin - so if I'm day tripping it to Dallas, I can get up there no problem with a quick stop in Waco, but unless i'm charging overnight in Dallas, my range is limited around the city if I'm zipping around to meetings all day. So hitting a CHAdeMO in Dallas before heading back to the Waco SC becomes a huge convenience. Without it I would be stuck for hours trying to top off before my return.

Its totally dependent on A) your access to CHAdeMO stations and B) if you even need to use them based on your driving habits.

It happens plenty in the US.. it's just that dashcams aren't as prevalent as they are in Russia or the Far East countries, so that's why there are disproportionate number of non-US videos.

It doesn't happen in the US anywhere near as much as in Russia. There are some very good reasons why everyone over there owns one for their vehicle.

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

That said, I wish we could just use removable media to store video captured by the front and rear cameras that are ALREADY in the car from the factory.

I did the same thing with my Roadster. Got almost full body paint protection, Carbon Fiber interior etc. The paint on the Tesla I think is softer and more susceptible to the elements so the paint protection is a necessity (though not a full body wrap). As soon as my Model S arrives in 2 weeks it's going straight to the lingerie shop for a clear bra!

That said, I wish we could just use removable media to store video captured by the front and rear cameras that are ALREADY in the car from the factory.

I agree. There are already multiple cameras. It would be nice if video from those cameras could be saved by the driver. Sure, they don't have the same optics, viewing angles, etc. as the fancy dash cams but any video recording from them would probably be better than no video at all.

My favorite "wish list" feature for Tesla would be an integrated dash cam with a button on top. If I witness a drunk driver or road rage incident, ect. I could just double click the button and stream the video to Tesla. They could forward to local authorities. Much better than trying to make a hasty 911 call.