Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help trouble shooting door handle assy issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced the left front door handle assembly yesterday in my 2012 Model S with a salvage unit ind the new salvage unit is working fine.

Now I have the faulty unit on the bench and I'm troubleshooting what's wrong with it.

Here's the symptoms of the bad handle assembly prior to removing.

First problem was handle would not present itself when pushed (I don't use auto present). When that happened I would just hit my fob twice to get the handle to present.

Then a second problem cropped up where handle would not present with a double click on the fob.

In order to open door, I went in the passenger side door and manually opened the driver door from the inside. When I did this the driver's handle presented so it looks like the motor is OK. On inspecting the paddle gear/ motor gear assembly it doesn't seem to be broken. So I'm fairly certain it's not a motor/gear problem.

OK so now I was assuming it must be one of the micro switches.

I used an ohm meter and checked the two on the arms that extend the handle. They both seem to be working.

There's another micro switch on the motor paddle. This one goes into some sort of black electronic device so it was not as easy to check if it was working. In other words the micro switch leads go directly into this electronic device without a connector so no easy place to check with ohm meter.

OK so I peeled back some insulation on the wires coming from the motor paddle micro switch so I could test it........and it appears to be working also.

There's one more sensor in there I'm not sure what it is. It's in the center beneath the center bolt that looks like some king of adjustment on the lever assembly. I don't think it's a micro switch. It has 3 wires coming from it. So no way for me to test that sensor what ever it is.

So I'm stumped. Do any of you have any ideas on what might be wrong with this door assembly??

Thx,
george