Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help plan Long Island to Washington DC in an X 60D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the drive from Long Island to Washington DC recently? We live near the Manhasset store so figure a full charge coming from there. We're driving a 6 seat Model X 60D with standard tires. It'll be about 450 lbs of combined people and luggage.

I know there are super chargers but we'll be traveling with kids and want to minimize the stopping. Any advice on the best way to do this? Think we can do it with 2 super charges of 20 minutes or so each?

It'll be in mid-April, so maybe mid-50s weather.

We're also considering taking our ICE car but would prefer the Tesla if it doesn't add an extra 90 minutes to the trip each way.

Thanks!

Has anyone done the drive from Long Island to Washington DC recently? We live near the Manhasset store so figure a full charge coming from there. We're driving a 6 seat Model X 60D with standard tires. It'll be about 450 lbs of combined people and luggage.

I know there are super chargers but we'll be traveling with kids and want to minimize the stopping. Any advice on the best way to do this? Think we can do it with 2 super charges of 20 minutes or so each?

We're also considering taking our ICE car but would prefer the Tesla if it doesn't add an extra 90 minutes to the trip each way.

Thanks!
You've got a typo there, right X90D?
If yes, you ought to be fine with just one stop in Newark DE, according to EVTripPlanner.

If yes, you ought to be fine with just one stop in Newark DE, according to EVTripPlanner.

Why would you assume that's a typo?

According to EV Trip Optimizer, with the X60D you will have to make two stops (Cranbury and Newark) totaling about 50 minutes IF you average 53 mph on the first leg and 65 on the rest of the trip. Drive faster, you'll charge longer.

Do you have a plan for charging in DC? How much driving around are you planning to do there?

Two stops may be a challenge, but there are a lot of Superchargers on your path, so it's certainly a doable trip. As you've probably seen, there are two SpCs in the DC area - Laurel northeast of the city and Woodridge south of it.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Some answers:

No typo! They used to have this configuration available. It's a software limited 75.

According to EV Trip Optimizer, with the X60D you will have to make two stops (Cranbury and Newark) totaling about 50 minutes IF you average 53 mph on the first leg and 65 on the rest of the trip. Drive faster, you'll charge longer.

This is our first long trip in the Tesla. Has EV trip planner usually been pretty accurate for you?

Do you have a plan for charging in DC? How much driving around are you planning to do there?

Our hotel has charging so no problem there.

For the trip there and back, we're more concerned about total charging time because we'll have to occupy the kids, though they'll probably need breaks anyway. It sounds like I should plan on minimum an hour of total charging + the time to get on and off the parkway. Thanks!

This is our first long trip in the Tesla. Has EV trip planner usually been pretty accurate for you?

EVTripPlanner is a good, useful tool. It has some definite strengths, However, your car is not included in the choices for configuration, I don;t think.

There is a new app EV Trip Optimizer, that is being developed as an alternative. There are still a few bugs, but they are rapidly being worked out. Your car IS configurable in this app. I highly recommend it, but it may or may not work for your driving style.

For both tools, be careful to look at the speeds it is estimating that you will be driving. Both use Google Maps data for average speeds on the roads you are travelling, and assume that you will travel at those speeds. If you will be traveling faster, you will need to adjust your range accordingly.

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

No issues. I have an early 2013 MS60 and driven all over the east coast with my fam from NJ. Superchargers are close enough not to think twice. It does make sense to plan your route in advance via EV trip
Planner online or use the new app. The only major variables to watch out for are super cold or hot temps and speed. Weight is less of an issue. Remember all Tesla's calcs are at 55mph. EV Trip is very accurate. There's a charger at the ritz in Georgetown which is what we used. Always easier when I don't have to worry about charging at your destination. Don't worry about it whether it's 2-3 stops. You're prob gonna need at least one full stop 45minutes at one of them. I forgot home many miles it is total but is fun and a breeze in a tesla. Enjoy!

Thanks!

If you plan on doing trips like this often you may want to unlock it to a 75kWh battery.

I don't agree at all. The only thing the battery bump would do is give a little extra range on the first leg and skip one 15 minute charging session. He'd still be sweating making it to Newark after skipping Cranbury. Not worth the stress to me.

There are few reasons to upgrade to a 75, but this trip isn't one of them. The rest of the time he'd be charging to 80%, which is the equivalent to 100% in the 60. Same charge speed. Same range.

A software limited 60 is very different from your original S60.

I don't agree at all. The only thing the battery bump would do is give a little extra range on the first leg and skip one 15 minute charging session. He'd still be sweating making it to Newark after skipping Cranbury. Not worth the stress to me.

There are few reasons to upgrade to a 75, but this trip isn't one of them. The rest of the time he'd be charging to 80%, which is the equivalent to 100% in the 60. Same charge speed. Same range.

A software limited 60 is very different from your original S60.
I didn't mean this exact trip. I meant if he takes trips of several hundred miles with children and wants to minimize the charging time.

Reactions: BerTX

Two stops may be a challenge, but there are a lot of Superchargers on your path, so it's certainly a doable trip. As you've probably seen, there are two SpCs in the DC area - Laurel northeast of the city and Woodridge south of it.
woodbridge is way too far south of DC to be useful on this trip.

I have a S 70D, I've done a similar trip dozens of times over the past 2 years (NYC to DC 'burbs).

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. There are enough SpCs along the way. Stop at Cranburry to top off, stretch your legs. Then drive to Newark, charge up and go to DC. Both of those SpCs are on rest areas of the highway, so no wasting time getting on and off and no paying extra tolls. Both have crappy food options, IMO.

If anything goes wrong (crazy headwind, you miscalculated your charge, etc.) you have plenty of other charging options along the route (Edison NJ, Hamilton Marketplace NJ, and Laurel MD).

I'd say charging times will add about 30minutes to your trip.

Followup on this: thanks to everyone for your help! The trip turned out great and it was very easy in the 60D. On the way down we did Hamilton and then Newark DE. On the way back up we did Newark DE and Edison. Quick charges each time and we made it to every place with plenty of charge to spare. @Max* was right about the ~30 minutes of total charging needed.

Thanks again, everyone!