Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt negotiating with site hosts is an interesting proposition, but of course the concerns of the host have to be balanced against the interests of the donors. One interesting issue is the mix of users that would be "competing" for the use of the EVSE. For example, there will likely be 10x the number of Leafs or Volts in the wild than say Model Ss. So if I understand correctly for "Universal" EVSEs the donors will be competing with the public who haven't even contributed for the cost of the EVSE. So a Model S donor who really needs the high capacity might find that they are in line behind Leafs or, worse yet Volts who have an alterate fuel, leisurely sipping electrons, and to add insult to injury these Leaf and Volt owners might not have even contributed to the installed EVSE. So a potential Model S donor might be forced to contribute to a more expensive "Universal" EVSE, but might find themselves more likely to be inconvenienced.

It would be interesting to see what the reaction of potential hosts would be if they were offerred a free Tesla HPWC plus installation costs versus no contribution at all, or a contribution limited to only $1,200 toward a "Universal" EVSE. I guess the negotiations will boil down to how badly you and your Model S donors want to install an EVSE at a particular location and how fast the roll-out of the Tesla Supercharger network proceeds.

Larry

Well said, Larry

If I were a donor, I'd vote for Tesla HPWC or a high power J1772 that is not free to use, with per-hour fee rather than per-kWh to further deter 3.3kW sipping cars from sitting there all day.

Best solution would be 1 telsa HPC, and 2 lowcost 30A j1772

total cost 1200$ plus installation-cost

Mixing proprietary and "standard" chargers might have appeal to potential site hosts, but I don't understand your math.

A Tesla HPWC will cost at least $1,200 by itself. Two of ClipperCreeks residential 25 A J1772 chargers list for $795 each and their popular small commerical J1772 chargers start at $1,750 each. More sophisticated smart chargers cost a lot more than that.

Larry

Mixing proprietary and "standard" chargers might have appeal to potential site hosts, but I don't understand your math.

A Tesla HPWC will cost at least $1,200 by itself. Two of ClipperCreeks residential 25 A J1772 chargers list for $795 each and their popular small commerical J1772 chargers start at $1,750 each. More sophisticated smart chargers cost a lot more than that.

Larry

Sorry, thought hearing the Tesla HPWC was around 500$
Cheap 30amp j1772 can be found at homedepot at around 400$ (edit : in britain 399£ this got me confused )

Electric Car Chargers - Alternative Energy Solutions - Electricalat The Home Depot

yes, my numbers are dreams not reality apparently :redface:
maybe it's a premonition :wink:

We will release a ruggedised J1772 version of our 32A Charging Station in the US for sub-$500 later in the year...

- - - Updated - - -

If I were a donor, I'd vote for Tesla HPWC or a high power J1772 that is not free to use, with per-hour fee rather than per-kWh to further deter 3.3kW sipping cars from sitting there all day.
IMO you'll have a lot more success if you join with other EV drivers and work together... simply deploy large numbers of low cost Charging Stations that everyone can use... this will give you redundancy and increase the scope and appeal of the project to host locations significantly.

Well said, Larry

We will release a ruggedised J1772 version of our 32A Charging Station in the US for sub-$500 later in the year...

- - - Updated - - -

IMO you'll have a lot more success if you join with other EV drivers and work together... simply deploy large numbers of low cost Charging Stations that everyone can use... this will give you redundancy and increase the scope and appeal of the project to host locations significantly.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing that information.

If an outdoor J1772, 32A charging station becomes available in the US that can be purchased retail for less than $500 that would greatly help sell prospective site hosts by bundling them with a Tesla High Power Wall Connector.

Of course such a low cost charger by itself would have only limited utility for roadside applications for most Model S owners who are taking road trips beyond their range. They might work at hotels where Model S owners would have the time to charge overnight.

Larry

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away from here for a bit. I looked at the Clipper Creek chargers, but since my particular destination was willing to install whatever I gave them, it made sense for me to get the HPC since it is almost half the cost of the clipper creek. Of course, I am lucky to be in the unique position to have someone who is just happy to get a charger of any sort. For a while at least, Teslas will be the only BEVs capable of driving these long distances anyhow.

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away from here for a bit. I looked at the Clipper Creek chargers, but since my particular destination was willing to install whatever I gave them, it made sense for me to get the HPC since it is almost half the cost of the clipper creek. Of course, I am lucky to be in the unique position to have someone who is just happy to get a charger of any sort. For a while at least, Teslas will be the only BEVs capable of driving these long distances anyhow.
Any idea of the schedule for installation? And assume the HPC will provide 40amp (for those with single charger) using the UMC? Looking for help on my return trip from Tucson in early May.

Any idea of the schedule for installation? And assume the HPC will provide 40amp (for those with single charger) using the UMC? Looking for help on my return trip from Tucson in early May.

Installation will happen within a month or so of me receiving the charger, which will probably happen sometime in February. I haven't used an HPC, but my understanding is that it doesn't require the UMC, it just plugs straight into the charge port. I would also assume that it would charge at 40A on a single charger equipped car, but I don't know for sure.

Installation will happen within a month or so of me receiving the charger, which will probably happen sometime in February. I haven't used an HPC, but my understanding is that it doesn't require the UMC, it just plugs straight into the charge port. I would also assume that it would charge at 40A on a single charger equipped car, but I don't know for sure.

That's correct. The HPWC is a wall charger with an attached 25 foot cord so you don't need your UMC or an adapter. Plugs right into the Model S to charge at up to 40A for single charger and up to 80A for twin chargers.

It might be a great idea to have Tesla partner with AAA since the auto club already has charging stations at many of their offices. They also offer mobile emergency charging in the Phoenix area. AAA may be open to a charging station at one of their affilates in Yuma, Blythe or Needles. As an organization AAA seems to be EV friendly and obviously has a continent-wide presence.