Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!! 2023 MXP_7000MLIES_UI_a020 - Steering Assist Reduced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, my car shows UI_a020 - Steering Assist Reduced.
It started to make some unusual noise when I turned in the past couple of weeks.
I am not sure what happened. I request a service and will drop my car to Tesla tomorrow. I just got this car for 5 months and no more than 7k miles...
Tesla still estimates $200+ for service... I think this is not making any sense. It should covered by warranty.

Has anyone run into the same issue with me?
Any tips?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 104
Don't worry about the service cost they quoted. It will be under warranty and won't cost you anything. They do this pretty commonly when setting up service appointments.
Hi Zoomer,
Thank you for your kind words. Let me see what happens tomorrow. I would like to update and share my experience. Hopefully, Tesla will give me a loaner car. Have a nice evening!

Thank you

On my pre-refresh X (which uses the same steering rack I believe, unless they've changed things since this summer to see if they'd changed parts from legacy to palladium cars) this code was happening intermittently and ended up being a failed steering rack, replaced under warranty (which on my pre-refresh X anyway, involved dropping the pack!) . Get it in to the shop ASAP IMO.

Posted in a few other threads - have joined the club. Nov made 2023 MXP. When this happened I was backing into my garage with the wheel slightly turned. Suddenly the car jerked a bit, started rolling without throttle control as if in neutral and showed a regen braking limited plus the stability, traction control, adaptive damping and steering assist alerts. Car would roll as if neutral even when put in drive or reverse (while indicating gear mode selected). When road assistance was summoned, putting it in tow mode magically cleared the errors and car could be controlled again. Sitting on SC lot now waiting for someone to take a look. Knowing my SC this can take days.

Posted in a few other threads - have joined the club. Nov made 2023 MXP. When this happened I was backing into my garage with the wheel slightly turned. Suddenly the car jerked a bit, started rolling without throttle control as if in neutral and showed a regen braking limited plus the stability, traction control, adaptive damping and steering assist alerts. Car would roll as if neutral even when put in drive or reverse (while indicating gear mode selected). When road assistance was summoned, putting it in tow mode magically cleared the errors and car could be controlled again. Sitting on SC lot now waiting for someone to take a look. Knowing my SC this can take days.
Same issue this morning for a '23 X with error messages, "stability control disable", "AEB disabled", "steering reduced", "adaptive ride control disabled". What was the fix?

lol: can't get an appointment until April 8th....

Same issue this morning for a '23 X with error messages, "stability control disable", "AEB disabled", "steering reduced", "adaptive ride control disabled". What was the fix?

lol: can't get an appointment until April 8th....
I tried doing a hard reboot but still had the message. I then did a shutdown and the message went away when the car restarted. I'm unsure whether it'll come back but everything seems okay on the last ride. Steering was a little heavier than normal before doing the shutdown but okay afterwards. If the message returns, I'll book it into service. Take a picture of the messages so you have it in hand when you put it the service request.

I tried doing a hard reboot but still had the message. I then did a shutdown and the message went away when the car restarted. I'm unsure whether it'll come back but everything seems okay on the last ride. Steering was a little heavier than normal before doing the shutdown but okay afterwards. If the message returns, I'll book it into service. Take a picture of the messages so you have it in hand when you put it the service request.
Agreed....I tried the typical re-boot too.

When I pinged for service, the APP recognized the failures in the car (gave me a dialogue box to check and then moved to appointments). Waiting 2 weeks is less than ideal though and the worst I've seen in my 8 years as an owner for a safety failure.

btw:
After booking, I got a note from Tesla suggesting I rotate my tires too (the old McDonald's routine; can I offer an Apple Pie with your burger order)....haha, please get my vehicle drivable more quickly.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
As far as I can tell, when you set up a service transaction in or out of warranty, the Tesla system will automatically quote a cost for the suggested response to the stated problem. But then when it turns out to be within warranty, Tesla clears the charge and the actual repair is at no cost.

And if it's out of warranty, but for some reason service decides to, then they will charge it to "good will" and the service won't cost you anything. This seems to happen frequently.

• Informative
Seeing this late. I called tow and declared the car unsafe to operate. They towed it but the downside was they kept it for 9 days before looking at it. What fixed it on the spot before towing was putting the car in tow mode! Go figure. The end result was that it was assessed to need a steering rack replacement. 1700 miles later no issues.

• Informative
Seeing this late. I called tow and declared the car unsafe to operate. They towed it but the downside was they kept it for 9 days before looking at it. What fixed it on the spot before towing was putting the car in tow mode! Go figure. The end result was that it was assessed to need a steering rack replacement. 1700 miles later no issues.
Thx for that update. My vehicle was assessed quickly after the tow and also was told it needs a steering rack replacement.

Unfortunately, the part isn’t due until next week which will turn this into at least an 8 day turnaround. I did get a decent loaner though but it’s apparent that they don’t have enough steering racks in stock for service demand.

One more joining the club.. late 2023 MX. Same experience, except unfortunately my wife was driving at the time and I was not nearby. It was towed to the SC not too far away and the family got a free Uber ride home. No service on the weekend so it will have to wait until Monday (if we're lucky).

I had to wait 9 days. Probably waiting for the part - steering rack sensor replacement. Demand a loaner so they don’t drag their feet. Good luck.

Thanks. They couldn't reproduce it at the SC today. The tech took it home for the night to see if it would happen again at night or in the morning. Not sure how normal that is (driving the customer car home), but I didn't really want to be the guinea pig to have it fail on me while I was the one driving it.

If they can't reproduce it I don't know what I'm going to do. My wife was the one driving it and I'm not sure she's going to want to take it on any drives at all, knowing that that could happen so randomly. Let alone longer trips.

They need to look into the car logs, not “reproduce” it. This is not a QA/debugging exercise, it’s a serious driveability issue. Ask what the logs are saying, mine had logs proving the issue happened even though the car stated behaving again “normally” after being put in tow mode.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum