Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heating system Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That could be an issue, especially for those using rear facing seats, if the second row passengers are feeling chilled.

Is there ANY ventilation back in the trunk? The kids sitting there in winter will have the hatch window radiating cold right above them...

Perhaps one of these 12V heaters would work. None have particularly good ratings, but you're not trying to replace the heating system, just add some additional heat where there isn't any now.

Suggestion: have a "vent" mode for the HVAC, that simply pulls in fresh air, or recirculates internal air, without heating or cooling. This mode would conserve energy while providing some air flow. Yes, cracking a window would have a similar effect, but that's noisier and less aerodynamic.

Suggestion: have a "vent" mode for the HVAC, that simply pulls in fresh air, or recirculates internal air, without heating or cooling. This mode would conserve energy while providing some air flow. Yes, cracking a window would have a similar effect, but that's noisier and less aerodynamic.

I never understood why cars don't do this. There are many days where it's cool outside but the car heats up because of the glass. If you don't want the windows open, then you have to run the a/c even though the air temperature outside is just right to keep the interior cool.

I never understood why cars don't do this. There are many days where it's cool outside but the car heats up because of the glass. If you don't want the windows open, then you have to run the a/c even though the air temperature outside is just right to keep the interior cool.

In my current car, and pretty much every car I've owned, when the system is in "Auto", I can just tap the A/C button to turn it off and it continues to work in automatic mode sans the a/c compressor. Wouldn't Model S work the same way?

In my current car, and pretty much every car I've owned, when the system is in "Auto", I can just tap the A/C button to turn it off and it continues to work in automatic mode sans the a/c compressor. Wouldn't Model S work the same way?

In some cars you have to dig down through a menu to do this. Auto should be smart enough to use cool outside air when possible.

Has anyone verified if you can run the heat in the Model S while plugged in and charging? This is a key capability lacking on the Roadster. The Roadster only lets you use the seat heaters while charging. If you are sitting in the car while charging at a road trip stop, it would be nice to be able to stay toasty, even if it slowed your charge somewhat.

In my Roadster in sub-freezing temperatures, I resorted to a sleeping bag to keep the heat from the seat heater around my body. That works in a pinch. Good for Canadians and Norwegian to know. :wink:

It does. A/C on/off is right on the primary (always visible) HVAC control. You can also slave the right scroll wheel to the fan speed. It only gets complicated if you want to adjust where the air goes. That is one level deep.