Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Heated steering wheel. Am I going to get my hands on one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can't call a car a truly luxurious car that competes with germany, without heated mirrors and wheel. among countless other amenities.

tesla is late, on the one hand. but is rapidly catching up.
Of course Tesla has called it a "premium" car, not a "luxury" car.

The Tesla is an amazing car in many ways, but it is not a full "luxury" car and is missing many features common on even less expensive competitors. The true revolution is in the drivetrain and user interface.

Tesla will eventually catch up I'm sure, but they do have a long way to go yet.

Of course Tesla has called it a "premium" car, not a "luxury" car.

The Tesla is an amazing car in many ways, but it is not a full "luxury" car and is missing many features common on even less expensive competitors. The true revolution is in the drivetrain and user interface.

Tesla will eventually catch up I'm sure, but they do have a long way to go yet.

i lot of people here threw an aneurysm when that motortrend guy said the s class was a better car than the MS, because it wins out on luxury.

so the 'it's competing for "premium" not "luxury"' appears a battle of semantics. And besides....we would all like Tesla to slay the S class Goliath, do we not ;)

i lot of people here threw an aneurysm when that motortrend guy said the s class was a better car than the MS, because it wins out on luxury.

so the 'it's competing for "premium" not "luxury"' appears a battle of semantics. And besides....we would all like Tesla to slay the S class Goliath, do we not ;)
I know most will agree with me so this preaching to the choir, but here are my thoughts:

1) The Model S is outselling the S-Class so regardless what MT says, the people are speaking.
2) I don't really see the cars competing, except on price. The MS is a technological tour-de-force that's more of a touring car (i.e. large 4-door sports car). The S-Class is a luxury tank, heavy, rigid.
3) Both cars have tricks to get to their goals. The Model S is made of aluminum, has thinner everything to let a heavy car feel like a sports car, so it's not quite the height of luxury because it needs to be light. The S-Class uses a monstrous engine to allow it to accelerate quickly, so it gets 15 mpg and needs a 7-speed transmission to get it.
4) Let's talk about economies of scale - Merc has been making cars since before Abe Vigoda's parents were born and the S-Class is in it's 11th generation. Tesla is younger than Abe Vigoda's dentures. Tesla has accomplished something magical and amazing. It will improve (and we'll all gripe) but comparing these cars is not apples to apples.

I see them as competing. They are the only 2 cars I considered. S550 can be tight with abc sport mode. It's quiet. Fast. More luxurious. The MS is more smooth, torquey, contemporary art, fun.

They are both top notch products for 100k .

The Mt test weighed heavily on distronic plus and now autopilot should even that out and the ms with autopilot would probably beat the s550 based on his commentary of why the editor chose one over the other.

I know most will agree with me so this preaching to the choir, but here are my thoughts:

1) The Model S is outselling the S-Class so regardless what MT says, the people are speaking.
2) I don't really see the cars competing, except on price. The MS is a technological tour-de-force that's more of a touring car (i.e. large 4-door sports car). The S-Class is a luxury tank, heavy, rigid.
3) Both cars have tricks to get to their goals. The Model S is made of aluminum, has thinner everything to let a heavy car feel like a sports car, so it's not quite the height of luxury because it needs to be light. The S-Class uses a monstrous engine to allow it to accelerate quickly, so it gets 15 mpg and needs a 7-speed transmission to get it.
4) Let's talk about economies of scale - Merc has been making cars since before Abe Vigoda's parents were born and the S-Class is in it's 11th generation. Tesla is younger than Abe Vigoda's dentures. Tesla has accomplished something magical and amazing. It will improve (and we'll all gripe) but comparing these cars is not apples to apples.

My direct comparison is with a long list of Lexus LS models, the latest which I still own an LS600hL hybrid.

Yes both Lexus and MB consider these cars their state-of-the-art technology platforms. Most new features that they have, if good, will filter down to conventional cars. Sometimes those features don't show up for a decade.

That being said, LS sales are down considerably this year, and Model S sales up up by similar amounts. It appears that more and more buyers are choosing the Teslas over the MB S Class and Lexus LS class cars. The Tesla's now outsell the LS, which is an amazing feat. The fact that Tesla is taking away sales from the showcase cars on two mature, well run companies that produce those great cars speaks volumes. We'll see if this calculus changes when Lexus releases their hydrogen fuel cell LS, supposedly in 2016.

When Consumer Reports tested the Lexus LS, it gave it the highest grade they had ever given a car - a 97. This is now #2, as the Tesla Model S has received a 99/100. Pretty heady stuff, and they are pretty critical in their car reviews.

One thing about owning S class MB or Lexus LS vehicles - you really do note which features Tesla should have included, which your own cars have had for years, but have been left out.
Cracked up reading the Abe Vigoda references, BTW.

huh, i didnt know ms was still outselling the s class? that is wonderful to hear, if true.

anyways, i was more referring to the topic at hand: heated wheels, and similar amenities. those are musts on luxury cars. not having such a crucial winter feature means you are playing catch up.

and it appears tesla is catching up.

I lost at the heated steering wheel roulette. Don't particularly need it in the Bay Area though except when going upto Tahoe in the winter.

I've been to Tahoe a few times this winter and don't think it's needed. Simply preheat your car and the cabin is more than comfortable. No driving gloves required. Everyone is different of course and sorry you didn't get the feature. Wish Tesla would have rolled that out better.

Last edited:
I've been to Tahoe a few times this winter and don't think it's needed. Simply preheat your car and the cabin is more than comfortable. No driving gloves required. Everyone is different of course and sorry you didn't get the feature. Wish Tesla would have rolled that out better.

That's true if you are plugged in at both ends of the trip. It's not so true if your car sits all day at work. The heated steering wheel would make the difference between running the cabin heater or not on many days.

Posted an update about my car status and also my experience this weekend with a P85D at a store in a "cold weather" state and full next gen seats installed - yet no heated steering wheel. Here is the link to my post.

This is the same for all products... especially tech heavy products. The are constantly changing and improving and if you wait a while, you will get something better. The dilemma is deciding when to buy and knowing that as soon as you buy, you will lock in the existing features and that the people who buy next month or week will get something "better".

Bzzt. Wrong. The issue is that people *randomly* get something better. You can't make the decision with valid information.

This is why model years were invented. You know whether you're getting one before or after the cutoff for changes. Car companies actually avoid making noticeable changes mid-model-year... except for Tesla.

Now, there's no particular reason to have it be exactly once a year. A "version number" would do fine -- that's what the Roadster had. This is done in software as well.

But a constant trickle of visible hardware changes upsets people; "frankenstein" cars which are halfway between 2.0 and 2.5, with some of the new features and not others, which some people *randomly* get (despite having ordered either 2.0 or 2.5), annoy people.

Tesla's going to have to start using model years, or version numbers (either would work).

Bzzt. Wrong. The issue is that people *randomly* get something better. You can't make the decision with valid information.

This is why model years were invented. You know whether you're getting one before or after the cutoff for changes. Car companies actually avoid making noticeable changes mid-model-year... except for Tesla.

Now, there's no particular reason to have it be exactly once a year. A "version number" would do fine -- that's what the Roadster had. This is done in software as well.

But a constant trickle of visible hardware changes upsets people; "frankenstein" cars which are halfway between 2.0 and 2.5, with some of the new features and not others, which some people *randomly* get (despite having ordered either 2.0 or 2.5), annoy people.

Tesla's going to have to start using model years, or version numbers (either would work).

They don't have to. As long as what you bought is what is delivered that's the important thing. If you didn't order heated steering wheel then you shouldn't expect it. Sure, someone else may have gotten it but that doesn't impact your car or make it less functional in any way. I understand that some silk feel 'cheated' but Tesla can't really do model years. What dealerships do they have to offload thousands of cars to sit on the lot? They should simply try and be more clear about changes like this and try and make overlap as small as possible.

It really makes a difference if it's a model year change? So you buy your car Month/Day/Year and then 3 months later they switch to a new model year, and it has all sorts of razzle dazzle upgrades. You've still got a car a little bit older with less features. It's better because ... why again? I'd rather know that I have a chance of getting new unadvertised features, then always saying "maybe I should wait another year to order".

No I am sorry I don't get this. We are ordering a car (P85D in my case) that is revolutionary in virtually every aspect and you worry about a heated steering wheel option? Before I read this I never even realised that you could get this feature on a car.

I appreciate a lot of you are veteran Model S owners and the magic may have worn off a bit so these things become important. I fear that distractions such as these minor features waste Tesla's time and energy from the ultimate goal of improving EVs so that they can become mainstream.