Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade your Model S Yoke for my Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joey D

Apr 28, 2023
NJ
I may purchasing a new Model S (from inventory), that happens to have a steering while, while I prefer the Yoke. I'm looking to see if anyone has a "new condition" (not peeling) Yoke that they would like to swap out for my wheel should I purchase the S.

Presumably, we'll both be unable to drive for a few days while the wheel / yokes are being cross shipped, etc. Let me know if you are interested in doing a swap as it may influence my decision to purchase the model S now, or wait perhaps a bit longer.

UPDATE: I decided to purchase a Secret EV Yoke, so I am no longer looking for a trade.

Last edited:
I may purchasing a new Model S (from inventory), that happens to have a steering while, while I prefer the Yoke. I'm looking to see if anyone has a "new condition" (not peeling) Yoke that they would like to swap out for my wheel should I purchase the S.

Presumably, we'll both be unable to drive for a few days while the wheel / yokes are being cross shipped, etc. Let me know if you are interested in doing a swap as it may influence my decision to purchase the model S now, or wait perhaps a bit longer.
They new Yoke isn't ready until mid-July. So all current Yokes either are peeling or will peel. This is coming from my Tesla SC below:

"The way the Yoke is made today there's 100% chance it will peel. It's not a matter of if, but when. The redesign will be available mid-July and almost all Yokes should be replaced after that. I've been told that July 17th is the date that I should get some here. Cancel your Service request and re-submit it around the 15th or you can request a round wheel and I can probably get that for you as a warranty replacement."

Interesting...I can't get anything out of Tesla chat on the rumored upgraded Yoke. Question that maybe your tech can answer: Will they offer a retrofit of Steering Wheels to the new yoke when it's available?

What I mean is...that currently you can order a Steering Wheel retro-fit (not warranty replacement) to change out the Yoke for a Steering wheel.

Tesla does not currently offer it the other way: Order a Yoke to retro-fit a steering wheel. This makes sense if they are readying a new yoke. Does your contact know if I'll be able to order a Yoke retro-fit (for a price) to replace my wheel once the new yoke is available?

What I mean is...that currently you can order a Steering Wheel retro-fit (not warranty replacement) to change out the Yoke for a Steering wheel.

Tesla does not currently offer it the other way: Order a Yoke to retro-fit a steering wheel. This makes sense if they are readying a new yoke. Does your contact know if I'll be able to order a Yoke retro-fit (for a price) to replace my wheel once the new yoke is available?
I don't know. The service ticket is closed, I'd have to open another to ask that question.

Regardless of what he says, it will be a wait and see thing.

UPDATE: I decided to purchase a Secret EV Yoke, so I am no longer looking for a trade.

Just curious. How do you like the Yoke thus far compared to the wheel since you tried both.

I have TWO steering wheels (when is the 2023 version, and another is the new 2024 with the mechanical horn). Now that I have two wheels, and one that I do not need anymore, am thinking of trading the 2023 wheel with a Yoke just to see how driving a Yoke feels like (at least I have both options then instead of two wheels). But I tempted.. I don't think I will like the Yoke functionality, but like I said better than having another wheel on the shelf doing nothing.

Just curious. How do you like the Yoke thus far compared to the wheel since you tried both....

I love the yoke and do not see going back to the wheel. Few points on this...many of these anecdotes you may have heard already:
1) I drive mostly suburban and rural roads. Not "block to block" city driving.
2) I feel more engaged driving with the yoke.
3) The "clear visibility" into the gauge cluster makes a bigger difference than you might think.
4) Highway cruising (especially on autopilot or FSD) is very comfortable with the yoke. (Hand naturally rests easily on the corner).

Also, because your hands are generally always gripping in yoke the "right place" ,the haptic controls (blinkers, etc) are always "right there" by your thumb ...vs on the wheel where your hands might be in various positions with the haptic controls not always "at the ready."

It does take a little practice to get efficient with "lock to lock" turns (K-Turns, etc.).

I would probably prefer a wheel if the majority of my driving was in densely populated city streets....but for my use case...will never go back to the wheel.