Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display - HUD - Good or Ehh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems more likely any new features added to the Model S will be due to cost savings - and not adding functionality lacking in the current Model S/X family.

The dashboard changes (HUD instead of the 2nd HD display) and dash-wide ventilation probably have cost savings - and we're likely to see several other "features" added to the Model 3, that reduce the manufacturing complexity and reduce production cost.

If Tesla can get EAP/FSD working under most driving conditions, may not be as much need for HUD. Even the steering wheel might be optional a few years from now... (Though some of us may prefer to always have some way to drive the car, at least some of the time!)

Soooo....he hinted at it by saying there's only one screen. By default that means HUD
No, it means there will be only one screen display in the Model 3. It does not mean there will definitely be a HUD.

All the HUD speculation is based on a single tweet by Elon almost a year ago. Quote: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Spaceships don't have HUDs because you don't pilot spaceships by looking out the window. Computers pilot spaceships. Just like Autopilot will increasingly be used to drive Teslas. You don't need a HUD to use Autopilot.

Note that Elon's tweet didn't just refer to the driver's display. It specifically said "steering controls and system".

Whatever it is that the Model 3 will have that we haven't seen yet, it has to do with the "steering controls" and more. Maybe a HUD will be part of that. Maybe not. But something will be different or unusual about the steering controls.

My last 4 Yvette's had the HUD (going back to 1999) and once you experience it you come to appreciate how natural in intuitive it becomes. When I got in cars w/o it I missed it. And the newer GM versions are color and work well with polarized sun glasses.

3 of my Vettes had HUD starting with 2002 Z06.

For me, they were silly. I know what RPM to shift at. If I didn't, I need a bright red light dead center. And? It has an overprotective rev limiter (I had to bump them up 1k via EFILive), so if you can't shift by ear, then just let it bounce. It won't hurt anything. It will just make you even slower than the factory setting.

I had a very simple HUD in my 2012 Lexus 450Rh. It showed speed constantly, it showed nav prompts when relevant, and it showed audio source changes when I made them by scrolling from the steering wheel control. I enjoyed the HUD because of how the dash was lower relative to my eyes when compared to a sedan. It was nice to have the speed more in front as even glancing down at the analog speedometer really did require taking one's hands off the road.

When I drove the MS, though, I didn't miss the HUD because the dash was more in my line of sight when driving. Likewise, I haven't missed it when driving the Civic coupe that we picked up a few weeks ago.

I haven't driven a MX, so I don't know if a HUD would be nice to have because of lines of sight.

Just as an aside, the Lexus HUD was not at all affected by polarized sunglasses, nor were lighting problems ever an issue. The only time it "failed" on me was when a valet tag covered up the projector.

My BMW has HUD and works great with polarized glasses and in all lighting conditions. I honestly don't use it much but when it's there I like it. For tall drivers it's great as the steering wheel will often block the gauges (top of the steering wheel) so the HUD is the only good view of the speedo.

My former '08 550 HUD worked with polarized glasses fine. I think it varies by projector tech and of course the intersection of it's angle and your glasses' angle.

Given the M3 mocks we've seen, I really hope they go with a HUD. Instruments in the center stack have been done by many vendors (Mini, etc.) and are STUPID. Bad ergonomics. HUD would be an elegant solution and given the aftermarket versions at a few hundred dollars, probably cost effective vs an IP
Nope. And now all of those who cancelled their orders with free unlimited supercharging and justified it because of HUD are probably not so happy today. I on the other hand was not tempted by the apple and am blissfully living in the Garden of Eden with my P100D.

How can you see an HUD???

Doesn't everybody look down at their cellphone in their lap while driving?

Seriously, I'm down to just 2 HUD cars now. I still don't drive with the HUD lit. It irritates me, sort of like popup ads do on websites.

• Funny
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
So, I have to ask, having researched many of the add-on HUDs.... do the built-in ones really work in all lighting conditions? Every add-on one I researched, whether it used your iPhone, or had a separate projector, seemed to lack good reviews for working well in 'normal conditions': a bright, clear day. Any HUD would probably work well at night.

And, having read some of the comments above, I'm now wondering if Elon did mean "Autonomous" was his "Spaceship Controls". It drives itselfs all the way there without you doing anything. :) Not what we expected but it can/does make sense.

So, I have to ask, having researched many of the add-on HUDs.... do the built-in ones really work in all lighting conditions? Every add-on one I researched, whether it used your iPhone, or had a separate projector, seemed to lack good reviews for working well in 'normal conditions': a bright, clear day. Any HUD would probably work well at night.

And, having read some of the comments above, I'm now wondering if Elon did mean "Autonomous" was his "Spaceship Controls". It drives itselfs all the way there without you doing anything. :) Not what we expected but it can/does make sense.
My BMW M3 worked in all lighting conditions. Worked very well on clear sunny days. Just didn't work well with polarized sunglasses.

But what if is displayed across the entire windshield? Allowing the driver and passengers to view it? Would it then be a heads up display as then there could be multiple heads looking at the single display (windshield)

Back on topic and from being a pain...I like the use of a HUD. But in a simplified form. I don't need a ton of information, only vital information pertaining to driving. I also prefer my driving position such as my steering wheel is moved low (pointing airbag at my check vs face) and seating position high for more comfort and thigh support. This causes the top half of the speedometer on the MS and MX (as well as pretty much every other car aside from Infiniti) to be cut off. So I usually can't tell how fast I'm actually going, or if my headlights are on.

Yes, this. This is the reason I love the HUD on my current Cadillac so much. I sit with the wheel low and my head pretty high. In my weekend test drive of a Model S it took a lot of time for me to find a position that was both comfortable AND allowed me to see if my highbeams/headlights were on, if hill hold was active, or if i was doing 85 in a 25. In my Cadillac I have the same problem, but having HUD helps alleviate it as the top half of the speedo being blocked by the steering wheel suddenly doesn't matter.

I think HUD is a good to have but a pretty much worthless option for me. Meaning I would see it as being worth 0 if a dealer car had it (thus regard it as simply a price increase) or if I were shopping for a used car.

I had it on my Lexus GS and also BMW 5.

I mean the dash is right there below you... and if nav is done right, it's got the map and big arrow right there as well... Basically I don't miss the HUD at all.

I thought Elon hinted against HUD in a recent tweet. Real or he's bsing?

He did, and I think he's being honest. The 3 needs some serious cost cutting to be profitable, and he's right in that IF fully autonomy is possible, a HUD would not be as necessary. With 400,000+ reservations, he doesn't need extra features and gimmicks to sell the cars, so might as well cut every where possible. Plus, it's one more feature that can be released later if sales are not as expected.

As of now it looks like information is going to be presented center stack - a la Mini Cooper.

Reactions: Rbcnr and drklain