Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display - HUD - Good or Ehh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just coming from a car that had HUD my 2015 M3 would display speed, navigation directions, and alerts (such as low on gas warnings and such). In sport mode it would show RPM, shift alerts, speed and gear.

Pros: I never looked at the instrument cluster. Great on the track racing.

Cons: Did not work with polarized sunglasses. Clutters the view ahead, a little in your face.

I walked away from HUD thinking eh I could do without, not a deal breaker at all. So I am putting it out there if Tesla does a HUD is it good or eh.

Not working with polarized glasses would be a problem for me. But I've read that some systems (Mercedes?) allow you to adjust the polarization angle. Or a good optometrist might be be able to adjust the lens specs.

I like the idea of not needing to look down and refocus on the IC. But we'll have to wait and see what the reality is like — assuming it happens at all.

I've never used HUD before, but I've had other LCD displays affected by wearing polarized glasses. I actually got to where I considered it a feature. I could tilt my head to the side slightly and the display would appear when I needed to see it, but was not distracting me the rest of the time.

Please change the title - it's head-up display (only 1 head per display). You are confusing this expression with 'giving someone a heads-up).

But what if is displayed across the entire windshield? Allowing the driver and passengers to view it? Would it then be a heads up display as then there could be multiple heads looking at the single display (windshield)

Back on topic and from being a pain...I like the use of a HUD. But in a simplified form. I don't need a ton of information, only vital information pertaining to driving. I also prefer my driving position such as my steering wheel is moved low (pointing airbag at my check vs face) and seating position high for more comfort and thigh support. This causes the top half of the speedometer on the MS and MX (as well as pretty much every other car aside from Infiniti) to be cut off. So I usually can't tell how fast I'm actually going, or if my headlights are on.

Not to be pedantic, but in the military and aviation, it is called a heads up display, not a head up display. Term came from the original HUD units put in fighters to ensure the pilots' heads were up when flying vice having to look down. Perhaps in the UK, they go with the singular head vice heads but I would think either term would be acceptable in this context...

It's really cool!!!

For a few days before you turn it off. :D

One of those "solution looking for a problem" thingys.

One exception, the GM collision warning HUD is a real attention grabber. That's a great idea. It throws 6 bright red lights up in front of you to warn you of a potential impact with a loud audible warning.

But the tach, speedo, gauges, g-force, NAV, that you normally find is more distracting than helpful.

SIDEBAR - By the time you have some experience driving, you know how fast you are driving without a speedo. It really doesn't belong blocking part of your scan area.

Please change the title - it's head-up display (only 1 head per display). You are confusing this expression with 'giving someone a heads-up).

How about "Head's Up"? (Head is up)

Not to be pedantic, but in the military and aviation, it is called a heads up display, not a head up display.

In tribute to the UK, this discussion reminds me of one Benny Hill's funnier lines . . . "What's that in the road . . . a ' head?"

Head up - To proceed. "Should we head up to the farm?"
Heads up - To be alert, or to look forward. "Heads up son, the pheasant is right in front of us."

Mix it up.

"Should we heads up to the farm?"
"Head up son, the pheasant is right in front of us."

"When we head up the trail make sure you are heads up to avoid the branches."

Reactions: 1 person
It's really cool!!!

For a few days before you turn it off. :D

One of those "solution looking for a problem" thingys.

One exception, the GM collision warning HUD is a real attention grabber. That's a great idea. It throws 6 bright red lights up in front of you to warn you of a potential impact with a loud audible warning.

But the tach, speedo, gauges, g-force, NAV, that you normally find is more distracting than helpful.

SIDEBAR - By the time you have some experience driving, you know how fast you are driving without a speedo. It really doesn't belong blocking part of your scan area.

As a tall person it's a solution to MY problem.

Plus it's a solution for when an automotive manufacture decides to go with a single center screen. Who wants to look all the way over there for the next navigation turn when it can appear on the HUD.

For me personally I hope Tesla comes out with a HUD, and allows us to customize what we want displayed on it. I would keep it fairly minimal. Where it simply displayed information on an as needed basis. Like when I exceed the speed limit by more than a set amount. It's pretty easy in a Tesla to go faster than you realize.

+1 - or really just the center screen. A single instrument display in the center of the car which allows a common dash for leg and right hand drive cars has been done before.

Possible, but I think that a HUD would make sense at least as an option. As others note, a key benefit of a HUD is projected navigation.

But, owning a Prius, I'm fine in principle with a landscape central display, which, like a HUD, has the advantage that it's _never_ blocked by the steering wheel. However, I'm not fine with the idea that I might need to reboot that display while driving.

I think that given the simplification of the dash , the reality that it's actually quite cheap and the benefits of keeping your eyes up in front, I think that Tesla might go for a HUD in the base model.