Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any Hawaii Roadster owners out there? How do you get service for your Roadster? ...

Hawaii is served by both LA and Menlo sores. Rangers group trips with Roadster owners.

I asked about the sigificantly more Model S's that would be there and was told they would have one of their third tier service locations.

(I imagined a storage unit with tools and parts stored there)

I've been told that there are 7 Roadsters in the state of Hawaii (don't know if they are all on Oahu or some are on the neighbor islands). I have no doubt that there are at least more than 7 reservations for Model S and probably more to come. Whether that is enough critical mass for Tesla to put a service center and/or a store, I don't know.

Delivery to Hawaii is the same as anywhere else, $1,170 I believe. HI state tax and registration fee are separate.

Dublin:
Did you find out anything about Hawaii servicing? I have production sequence #8983 (May 15). I was told by one of the asst mgrs at the Bellevue store that Tesla arranges to service the Hawaii cars all at once. The Model S is supposed to include the 1st 4 yrs of routine service for free. Based on what they currently charge the roadster owners, he told me that the typical charge about $500 for each scheduled annual maintenance visit. If the car just stopped working, a special trip to Hawaii would be about $1,000. I am curious to know what you were told.
Did you also have the chance to ask them about personal delivery in Hawaii? Is it the same cost for everyone? It is a big hassle to fly to the mainland, arrange for shipping & insurance and show proof of paying state tax before the shipper allows you to take delivery of the car.
I too put installed extra PV panels just this month to power my future EV. And I am trying to recruit more buyers, but its a tough sell at this price point.

Did you also have the chance to ask them about personal delivery in Hawaii? Is it the same cost for everyone? It is a big hassle to fly to the mainland, arrange for shipping & insurance and show proof of paying state tax before the shipper allows you to take delivery of the car.

Answered in post #22: "Delivery to Hawaii is the same as anywhere else, $1,170 I believe. HI state tax and registration fee are separate."

What are gas prices in Hawaii? I assume higher that on main land USA. With that and with leasing option, Model S buyers should be easier to convince.

Depending on what grade of gas you guy anywhere between $4.20 - $4.60 per gallon. But it goes beyond just gas savings. Many people that can afford the Model S probably have the means to get PV on their house. Not to mention, Hawaii is the ideal place to get PV (plenty of sunlight and some of the highest electricity rates, 34¢/kWh, in the US). Other than the Big Island, you couldn't drive more than 160 miles on a round trip which means the range anxiety is almost non existent.

There are a lot of people in Honolulu that have the means to get a Model S as evidenced by the amount of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and other cars of that ilk on the road. Tesla could make a lot of killing in the Hawaii market. Additionally, Hawaii is a good showcase with all the tourists visiting. If Tesla puts a store in Ala Moana, or even the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, many of the wealthy vacationers from Asia, Canada and elsewhere are going to see the car. If George B is looking for # of impressions, Honolulu would be a good spot.

As you can see I'm angling to get a store/service center in Hawaii. I think it is obvious, but as far as I know still no plans by Tesla to open either.

I remember Martin Eberhard talking up Hawaii and how great it would be that tourists from all over the world would come and use Electrics there.

Is there a mall that Tesla could set up a store in?

Is there a mall that Tesla could set up a store in?

Most definitely. They would maximize foot traffic at Ala Moana or Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in Waikiki. Both of those malls have Apple stores in them and they are only a couple of miles apart from each other. I think it is pretty amazing that there are 3 Apple stores in urban Honolulu (if you count Kahala Mall as urban). There is probably only 7-8 miles separating the three Apple stores. George B is very familiar with the Honolulu market.

I spoke with George Blankenship today at the Get Amped test drives in LA. He said his plan is to have a Tesla service center in Hawaii by the end of the year. He knows it is an excellent potential market. Pretty awesome news for us in Hawaii! Start talking it up with your friends on the island. People making their reservation now will need to wait about a year before getting their car and if George is good to his word there will be a service center on Oahu by the time they get it.

Jkam, Are you sure your info on delivery charge to Hawaii is current? I was originally told it would be the same as the rest of the US also (like it is for most cars sold in HI), but then my rep subsequently told me there would be an added charge for Hawaii. It would be great to nail this down. Since there is a low Sig reservation holder pin on the Oahu map, he/she must have already configured the car so Tesla must have Hawaii delivery costs settled. I emailed my rep a couple weeks ago pointing this out and requesting the details but he said he couldn't find out. So anything anyone knows for certain about total delivery charges to HI would be great.

Last edited:
ddruz, please point out to Tesla that the other car companies do not have a higher destination charge for deliveries to Hawaii (or Alaska, I imagine). I hope that you were able to get George B's contact info. Or at least ask your rep to bring this to George's personal attention.

solar powered, I have pointed out to my rep that other car companies do not have higher delivery charges to Hawaii. Just sent him another email about it two days ago and he came back today saying he still thinks they are going to charge us more to Hawaii but he isn't certain yet.

By the way, do you have a pin on the World Map of Model S Reservation Holders? What reservation number are you? How much do you drive? What size battery pack are you planning on?

George's email is no secret: [email protected]. Feel free to email him with important Hawaii info. I have. It's to Tesla's enormous advantage to establish a presence there asap as you know and I'd bet George appreciates selected feedback from Hawaii clients. Model S should dominate the Hawaii premium sedan market place once it gets a toe hold. Tesla really only needs a service center and a few Model S's on the road to totally take over.

ddruz, Thanks! I will e-mail George and lobby on our behalf regarding the "destination fee." Although Hawaii is a small market, our market penetration percentage is really high. In addition to what the others have mentioned about how many "eyeballs" would get to see the vehicles here. We get so many tourists from the fly-over states, it would definitely be in Tesla's interest to have as many of them zipping around here.
I have production 8,983. As I plan to drive it in Honolulu for at least 10 years, the 40 kWH pack should do. We drive less than 5,000 miles/year and 99% of our daily trips do not exceed 25 miles, even on weekends. If I do decide to retire on the mainland and decide to bring by car along for the sake of sentimentality, I am hoping that a battery, inverter and programming upgrade would be feasible.
I don't know how to get a pin on the World Map

I don't know how to get a pin on the World Map
solar powered, You are already on the world map, twice actually! You might want to delete one of your pins for accuracy sake. It's great to know you. I'm on the North Shore and drive to town quite a bit. I expect the 40 kwh pack would do for me 98% of the time. I have on occasion driven over 160 miles a day so am not completely certain about the 40 kwh yet. For almost everyone closer to town the 40 kwh pack should be more than plenty. No range anxiety on Oahu for a Tesla--absolutely level playing field with all the other premium sedans. Good idea keeping George informed about Hawaii. For those of us who live here the EV market is clearly incredible. For those who don't it may not be so obvious.

Nigel: thanks!

Ddruz: thanks for the heads up on the duplicate pins. I've asked Robert to eliminate one of them.
I live and work just 2 miles apart, so the 40 kWH is fine for me. I can see how you could occasionally exceed the range of that pack. 160 miles is at a steady 55 mph. Also, the battery range will degrade over time. If I were in your shoes, I would consider getting the 60 kWH/230 mile pack, despite the painful price increase. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.