Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla - Fun and Interesting Stories -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Papafox, I've found the same to be true for H3 as well--the charge gained on the downhill side negates the charge lost going uphill. I live up in the mountains of Ahuimanu (a little past Valley of the Temples towards the north shore)...and I can drive all the way down to Kamehameha Hwy and drive almost to Haiku Rd. before it drops the first mile. :biggrin:

Jeffdhood, Glad to hear the Tesla is so efficient on that mountainous route.

Here on Oahu, I find that my efficiency on the H-3 is not much different than level ground but I pay a mileage penalty for the Pali Hwy. I suspect the difference is steeper grade and more curves on the Pali. The cool thing about the Pali Hwy, though, is that I arrival home on the far side of Kailua with the same miles remaining as I saw at the top of the Pali.

Yes, I just started noticing curves really eat up the juice. In recent years on the ships we started saving tons of fuel on long passages using adaptive steering systems that minimized rudder movement. I'm thinking I can do the same staying in the middle of those curvy circle island country roads here on the Big Island. Of course, that's providing I can see that there's no one up ahead coming my way. Safety first!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was driving down H-2 on my way to work when a black audi (with all kinds of mods) started tailgating me in the fast lane..I try to watch my speed since H-2 is a speed trap in certain areas. I was already going about 70 and slowed down a little to see if he would back off..nope...when he saw an opening in the next lane, he went to pass me...of course I tapped the accelerator and kept up with him...lol..he had to go over two more lanes to get around all the other cars..HAHA

Today, the same Audi came up behind me..I was excited to get to play again with him..but this time, he kept a respectable distance and when he went to pass me, he passed far ahead of me...LOL..am thinking he looked up Tesla Model S after I smoked him so knew better this time :biggrin:

A few weeks ago I was driving down H-2 on my way to work when a black audi (with all kinds of mods) started tailgating me in the fast lane..I try to watch my speed since H-2 is a speed trap in certain areas. I was already going about 70 and slowed down a little to see if he would back off..nope...when he saw an opening in the next lane, he went to pass me...of course I tapped the accelerator and kept up with him...lol..he had to go over two more lanes to get around all the other cars..HAHA

Today, the same Audi came up behind me..I was excited to get to play again with him..but this time, he kept a respectable distance and when he went to pass me, he passed far ahead of me...LOL..am thinking he looked up Tesla Model S after I smoked him so knew better this time :biggrin:

Be nice, be nice to the obsolete technology. We too will feel that way in another 150 years or so. :biggrin:

My co-worker had a client dinner at Ruth's Chris Waikiki last night. Three of his clients drive Teslas. He drives a Porsche panamera. He said the valets left all the Teslas on the street level and drove his car up into the garage...Guess his car doesn't rank as one of the nice "lobby" cars..lol

My co-worker had a client dinner at Ruth's Chris Waikiki last night. Three of his clients drive Teslas. He drives a Porsche panamera. He said the valets left all the Teslas on the street level and drove his car up into the garage...Guess his car doesn't rank as one of the nice "lobby" cars..lol
Three of his clients drive Teslas?! That's a story in itself! :-D

I still do..but sometimes they have a blank look on their face since they don't truly understand...so I stop :p

I still talk about the Tesla with coworkers but only those who are interested. I have one coworker who is thinking about buying one for his wife but is waiting for the Model 3. He can afford the Model X but it is too big for him since all of his kids are grown. It has helped to get some of them to consider buying one.