Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Let's Count Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this thread was started, I hadn't seen another Tesla on Maui - until today. Today I passed 3, one silver, one white, one black. Unfortunately, it appears I may be the only owner on Maui with a front plate, because none of them did - so I can't officially report them. I'll keep looking, though.

Sorry, I don't have all the info on the Big Island cars, but here's what I've been seeing just in the daytime around the island. Being the country bumpkin that I am, I don't get out after dark much. I suspect there are many more cars sequestered behind the gates of the resort subdivisions that only come out on the public roads at night for dinner.

Thanks everyone for the great response to this thread! Just a reminder to get the plate numbers so we don't double count. I'm sure we've all seen more Teslas than posted but missed getting the plates. Don't worry, we'll eventually get those ones counted :smile:

Just added another. I'm curious about the one that someone added: HI96817 ....that has too many characters than is allowed on a HI plate. HI plates are currently limited to 6 characters...is this an out of state plate?

Just added another. I'm curious about the one that someone added: HI96817 ....that has too many characters than is allowed on a HI plate. HI plates are currently limited to 6 characters...is this an out of state plate?

I can't explain it. But I have seen it. I posted it. I know who it is, but not going to say on TMC. I can explain later. :smile:

So I feel like an explanation is in order...

Back in 2011, when I first started researching an EV as my next vehicle to replace my aging Honda Civic, I quickly became enamored with Tesla Motors and their vision of a sustainable transport future. In mid-2012, when I was ready to make my purchase (lease) decision, I came to the painful realization that I wouldn't (yet) be able to afford the car the I really wanted, the forthcoming Model S. So, I settled on leasing a Leaf.

But I didn't give up on the idea. I figured, if i couldn't afford the car, at least I could invest a little in the company. So I put $1,000 towards TSLA stock (35 shares at $28.50 at the time), and see what would happen. Soon thereafter, the initial Sigs started getting delivered, and a few months later I started seeing a couple around Honolulu. Knowing what you all do, that Oahu is the PERFECT location to own and operate an EV, I was especially interested in seeing what kind of uptake there would be for the Model S. I needed to keep an eye on my investment, you know what I mean?

So, I kept my eye out, and made a mental note when I saw one. Typically, this would be on H1 during my morning commute, or at one of the Volta chargers at Ala Moana or Kahala Mall. Before long, I would see one two days in a row. But I couldn't always be sure if I was seeing the same car over and over, or if it was just the same looking car. I got especially suspicious when I saw a Brown one two days in a row. That's rare!

So...after a few weeks of this, I started keeping track of them. I have a note on my iPhone where I add my sightings; listed by plate number, color, and (if I can make it out, badging). I've been doing this for three years now. My wife thinks I'm insane when I insist on making her add to my note while we're driving. She calls it my 'Tesla Stalking'. My daughter has started texting me her sightings!

But, I'm happy to say that I've updated the list, and was able to add about 90 that weren't on there. We have 244 confirmed Teslas in the islands (including Roadsters, they count too!). Enjoy!

Stoebs..you are only as insane as the rest of us about Tesla! Thanks for sharing your list! Hoping you find a CPO soon! BTW, my co-worker had grey 60 loaner car last week. Pretty sure it was used since it had plates. I know you extended your lease but might be worth a call to the SC to find out if/when they'll be selling it since it's not on the CPO site. :smile:

Back in 2011, when I first started researching an EV as my next vehicle to replace my aging Honda Civic, I quickly became enamored with Tesla Motors and their vision of a sustainable transport future. In mid-2012, when I was ready to make my purchase (lease) decision, I came to the painful realization that I wouldn't (yet) be able to afford the car the I really wanted, the forthcoming Model S. So, I settled on leasing a Leaf.

But I didn't give up on the idea. I figured, if i couldn't afford the car, at least I could invest a little in the company. So I put $1,000 towards TSLA stock (35 shares at $28.50 at the time), and see what would happen. Soon thereafter, the initial Sigs started getting delivered, and a few months later I started seeing a couple around Honolulu. Knowing what you all do, that Oahu is the PERFECT location to own and operate an EV, I was especially interested in seeing what kind of uptake there would be for the Model S. I needed to keep an eye on my investment, you know what I mean?

So, I kept my eye out, and made a mental note when I saw one. Typically, this would be on H1 during my morning commute, or at one of the Volta chargers at Ala Moana or Kahala Mall. Before long, I would see one two days in a row. But I couldn't always be sure if I was seeing the same car over and over, or if it was just the same looking car. I got especially suspicious when I saw a Brown one two days in a row. That's rare!

So...after a few weeks of this, I started keeping track of them. I have a note on my iPhone where I add my sightings; listed by plate number, color, and (if I can make it out, badging). I've been doing this for three years now. My wife thinks I'm insane when I insist on making her add to my note while we're driving. She calls it my 'Tesla Stalking'. My daughter has started texting me her sightings!

But, I'm happy to say that I've updated the list, and was able to add about 90 that weren't on there. We have 244 confirmed Teslas in the islands (including Roadsters, they count too!). Enjoy!

I agree that you are just as insane as the rest of us. My kids think I am a Tesla stalker, watching out for other Teslas and right down the license plate numbers. By the way, let me know if you see any other green MS around. I am interested in knowing how many there are in Hawaii. Now up to 245.

Thanks for the reassuring words guys. Like minded people, right?

I'm still on the lookout. My wife's Escape Hybrid is 9 years old now, so I'm getting to the point where I need to start replacing that too. The X is too big (and expensive) for us, but we won't be able to wait until a Model 3 crossover, if such an animal ever exists. I traded in my 2012 Leaf for a new 2015. It's a 4 year lease (they practically gave me the 4th year free). But, my wife agreed to take the Leaf if I find the right pre-owned Model S for me.

The search continues!

settling on a Leaf. THAT'S insanity.:tongue:

My kids think I am a Tesla stalker.
and yes drtko is a Stalker:scared: I know I've thought about getting a restraining order to keep him away from my Tesla.:rolleyes: