Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

having 2nd thought on model s bc of issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to finalize my orders but I am having 2nd thoughts bc ...
1) window cracks http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12551-Alas-new-problem-Windshield-Stress-Fracture-Anyone-else
2) window distortion http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12372-windshield-distortion
3) interior leather crack after a few months http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10552-Seat-post-wear
4) key fob cracks http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13301-Key-fob-cracking-on-top
5) speaker issue http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12878-Audio-Speaker-rattle
6) and the list goes on and on...

I really want to own a car for about 10 years but it seems impossible...

Anyone think these will be resolved and by when? tesla has produced about 4k of model s already...
Tia

Last edited:
I love my car. If you look on the boards for any other make/model you will see the same. There have been surprisingly few issues with he new tech in the car and those have been resolved quickly.

Last edited:
1) window cracks
2) window distortion
3) interior leather crack after a few months
4) key fob cracks
5) speaker issue

Anyone think these will be resolved and by when? tesla has produced about 4k of model s already...
Tia

I've had my car for 6 weeks and about 2K miles and I don't have ANY of these issues. I realize that some issues are wear related and I may not have had my car long enough. I think that sometimes reading about the issues people are having on this board gives a skewed perspective on the reality that most owners don't have any problems. After all, only people who have issues are going to want to post here. If you have your Model S and are not having any significant issues, please post to this thread.

Second thoughts are normal. I'm not sure I've had any because this car is a lifelong dream for me. I don't think you have to read too far between the lines to see that "most" owners (even the ones with issues, or even those that are actually complaining about issues) are ecstatic about the car. Tesla's track record is clearly that they will fix all issues in an honorable way.

Hey stealth, I haven't had any major defects in my own car, but I would encourage you to also factor in how tesla deals with the issues, not just that there ARE issues.

If they replace every problematic speaker, cracked glass and broken key fob, would those issues even matter at that point?

1) window cracks
2) window distortion
3) interior leather crack after a few months
4) key fob cracks
5) speaker issue

Tia

I think you are getting a biased idea. Many if not all of these things are not affecting most owners.
If you read a thread with a title of 'Problems' it shouldn't be surprising most posts in that thread are mentioning problems:)
That being said, this is also the first car engineered from the ground up by Tesla. So it shouldn't be surprising if there are more initial issues than most cars.
Please note, I don't know if there are more issues. Just that IF there are I wouldn't be surprised.
Tesla, from what I have seen, has been very responsive to the issues that have arisen.

PS 5 months, 5700 miles. No wear or tear visible on leather (and cold/heat swings are bad in Minnesota). No window cracks that weren't from road debri, no wear showing on pillars, fob is awesome, no speaker issues, and the list goes on and on;)

Hi stealthnhawk

I have read about some of these problems but not all, can you include some links to each of the issues
but if one or more of these problems was affecting most users, those threads would have turned into flame wars, with several hunders pages

maybe we should make a wiki with known issues with a rating (rumor / rare / few / many / all) as well wit (investigating / working on a solution / fixed / warranty / 3part fix / wont fix) with link to the discussion

Sig 23 here with none of the issues listed above.

You have to understand that you are not looking at a random sample of owners on this forum. You are looking at enthusiasts and people with problems (along with a few other groups)

There are many of is without issues!

Those of us with issues have had them corrected quickly by the folks at TM.

Trust me, you want this car...

thanks Bonnie, outsider, and zythryn. I was planning to get the 60kwh but maybe I will go for the 40kwh (my commute is only 30mi round trip) and let tesla sorts things out... hopefully by then there'll be less issues...
Your cause for pause is understandable. However, all new cars have issues but probably don't get as much attention as the Model S gets in this forum. The only regret you will have is if you don't get one. Join the club as soon as you can!

Last edited:
I think a couple of those items on your list have been reported by ONE owner. The occasional car is going to get a random defect, no matter who makes it.

The car is kick-ass. Don't let any of this deter you. Chances are you'll never see any of that. Remember that these online forums are always heavily biased towards the complaints. It's just human nature.

Hi stealthnhawk

I have read about some of these problems but not all, can you include some links to each of the issues
but if one or more of these problems was affecting most users, those threads would have turned into flame wars, with several hunders pages

maybe we should make a wiki with known issues with a rating (rumor / rare / few / many / all) as well wit (investigating / working on a solution / fixed / warranty / 3part fix / wont fix) with link to the discussion

Hi Mark, I have updated the original post with links..

Go to any other car forum and read some posts. Even cars that have been in production for a long time have problems. Forums always make a car look far worse than it actually is (except for maybe VW) because people that have problems tend to post them and those without problems tend to be silent. it's more important to consider the kind of problems and if they belong to the nuisance or show stopping variety. Almost all the ones that I'm seeing are nuisance type. The couple of show stopping ones have been fixed promptly and have only isolated instances as far as I can tell.

I think a couple of those items on your list have been reported by ONE owner. The occasional car is going to get a random defect, no matter who makes it.

The car is kick-ass. Don't let any of this deter you. Chances are you'll never see any of that. Remember that these online forums are always heavily biased towards the complaints. It's just human nature.

totally agree!

No car company today is more focused on rapid improvement. TM is first and foremost an engineering-centric company. These minor superficial problems will get resolved quickly.

For example, TM has already engineered a fix for the defrost issue and will be rolling it out.
Another example: Firmware updates and new features! What other car manufacturer does this?!

Lastly, most everyone understands the Elon's motivations for Tesla Motors.

Full disclosure: I'm long TSLA.

After about 7 weeks and 2400 miles I have only had one of the issues you listed (cracked windshield), and I think that's an issue they have a handle on by now. We're only a couple of months into "real" production.

Think of it this way: Nobody will start a thread with "hey everyone, my seats are holding up great".