Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got my MODEL S and love it However have noticed distortion at the bottom 1 inch of the windshield has anyone else noticed this? Seems odd ... was thinking it might be the coating they put on it has caused this?

just got my MODEL S and love it However have noticed distortion at the bottom 1 inch of the windshield has anyone else noticed this? Seems odd ... was thinking it might be the coating they put on it has caused this?

The bottom distortion is a known problem (design flaw, unwanted manufacturing defect, insert best euphemism here) with the glass. Some windshields are worse than others. The average is about inch of distortion. There is another flaw that a few people (including myself) have had with the lamination between the two pieces of glass that distorts the forward view. I had my windshield replaced because of this lamination problem. There have been other people that have had the windshield replaced because the bottom distortion problem was more like 2-3 inches and not just the "normal" 1 inch.

The bottom distortion is a known problem (design flaw, unwanted manufacturing defect, insert best euphemism here) with the glass. Some windshields are worse than others. The average is about inch of distortion. There is another flaw that a few people (including myself) have had with the lamination between the two pieces of glass that distorts the forward view. I had my windshield replaced because of this lamination problem. There have been other people that have had the windshield replaced because the bottom distortion problem was more like 2-3 inches and not just the "normal" 1 inch.

The distortion gives my wife a headache every time she rides in the car. Ever since she was in a major accident (Indianapolis Sugarland stage collapse), the effects of her double vision / missing vision spots are exacerbated by the windshield's distortion. It's something that dissuades her from riding in the car.

The distortion gives my wife a headache every time she rides in the car. Ever since she was in a major accident (Indianapolis Sugarland stage collapse), the effects of her double vision / missing vision spots are exacerbated by the windshield's distortion. It's something that dissuades her from riding in the car.

Some cars have had a larger distortion area than others. If yours is very large you can discuss it that your service center and see if they can replace the windshield. You can also get some black tape or paint and black out the distortion area.

As I just posted on the TM forum, I discussed the front windshield distortion issue with a Tesla service advisor today. He indicated that while the distortion was not intentionally designed, it is not considered a defect. Tesla would consider replacing the windshield if the distortion was excessive, but would not guarantee that it would be any better afterwards due to the curvature of the windshield and since it cannot be observed until after it is installed. Since someone on the TM forum mentioned that the distortion was worse after he had it replaced, I am going to stick with my windshield as is, since it only appears on the bottom inch in my car (although it is annoying).

Some cars have had a larger distortion area than others. If yours is very large you can discuss it that your service center and see if they can replace the windshield. You can also get some black tape or paint and black out the distortion area.
Haven't seen this since my 1971 VW Beetle got curved windshield.
Too bad the black spotted area already present does cover more of the lower glass area. Difficult DIY job IMHO

My Model S also has the distortion. And unfortunately, within the first week has suffered a very significant crack. It appears to have started at the bonded edge on the lower passenger side and is making its way across to the middle. Has anyone else had this problem ? There is no other evidence of damage and certainly no chips to speak of. Seems to be an installation or flexing problem at the edge.

My Model S also has the distortion. And unfortunately, within the first week has suffered a very significant crack. It appears to have started at the bonded edge on the lower passenger side and is making its way across to the middle. Has anyone else had this problem ? There is no other evidence of damage and certainly no chips to speak of. Seems to be an installation or flexing problem at the edge.

There is already a thread on this topic. Hope it helps!

I just picked my car up today. Drove it the approximately 60 miles home. Didn't notice the distortion at all. I just took my wife out for a ride/drive. She noticed it immediately and said "If you're looking for a reason for me not to ride in or drive your car, you found one!" I'm going to experiment with a higher seating position for her, as I think the lower perspective is the problem. (I'm 6'1" and she's 5'6"). I do not believe this is an intentional design "feature." I've owned many Porsches, BMW's, Audi's etc. and I've never seen this feature.

I just picked my car up today. Drove it the approximately 60 miles home. Didn't notice the distortion at all. I just took my wife out for a ride/drive. She noticed it immediately and said "If you're looking for a reason for me not to ride in or drive your car, you found one!" I'm going to experiment with a higher seating position for her, as I think the lower perspective is the problem. (I'm 6'1" and she's 5'6"). I do not believe this is an intentional design "feature." I've owned many Porsches, BMW's, Audi's etc. and I've never seen this feature.
Are you sure you didn't do this on purpose? Like raise her seat? To prevent her from driving? :)