Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Haven't downloaded the Dec "recall" update to autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll likely have to re-authorize AP and specifically the interior camera to enable Autopilot. Failing to allow will likely also make AP inaccessible is my guess.
They might try that but it will probably invite a class action. I am honestly surprised that didn’t get sued for the AP suspension already. I bought the car that included AP functionality, they can’t suspend me from using that functionality based on their new requirements.

Upvote 0
This was my assumption too; with this new "safety" update the interior camera was compulsory or you didn't get FSD.

You did say something that was of extreme interest to me however: it seems as though you're stating that there is a separation from the base Autopilot function and FSD in terms of the interior camera. Is this correct? Can you cover my interior camera w/tape as you described and continue to use the base Autopilot exactly as I use it currently w/o fear of being locked out due to not having my gaze fixed on the road? Is the interior camera only a requirement for FSD after the new update?
You can 100% block AP/EAP. You can partially block FSD.

Upvote 0
You did say something that was of extreme interest to me however: it seems as though you're stating that there is a separation from the base Autopilot function and FSD in terms of the interior camera. Is this correct? Can you cover my interior camera w/tape as you described and continue to use the base Autopilot exactly as I use it currently w/o fear of being locked out due to not having my gaze fixed on the road? Is the interior camera only a requirement for FSD after the new update?
You are correct, sir. I am on the latest and greatest software 2024.2.2.1, but this is not new and has been true for the 3 years I've had the cabin camera covered. Use it in good health. Cheers.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Upvote 0
You are correct, sir. I am on the latest and greatest software 2024.2.2.1, but this is not new and has been true for the 3 years I've had the cabin camera covered. Use it in good health. Cheers.
So, if that's the case, this latest update only applies to FSD in terms of the interior camera requirement then, right?

If so, that's super odd and I have to think that's going to get patched at some point. I would assume this wasn't intended by Tesla. Either way, if this indeed the case, I may just go ahead and accept the latest update and cover the interior cam with a little chunk of electrical tape.

Upvote 0
So, if that's the case, this latest update only applies to FSD in terms of the interior camera requirement then, right?

If so, that's super odd and I have to think that's going to get patched at some point. I would assume this wasn't intended by Tesla. Either way, if this indeed the case, I may just go ahead and accept the latest update and cover the interior cam with a little chunk of electrical tape.
Yes, this is true. It was true before the latest update, and remains the same. The nag schema, both wheel and gaze, has always been different for AP and FSD.

Perhaps like you, I previously read all the media and internet discussion regarding the Holiday update as a convergence of AP and FSD nags, but this is not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Upvote 0
Yes, this is true. It was true before the latest update, and remains the same. The nag schema, both wheel and gaze, has always been different for AP and FSD.

Perhaps like you, I previously read all the media and internet discussion regarding the Holiday update as a convergence of AP and FSD nags, but this is not the case.
That's great news for us then, actually. I really was reading all of this holiday update nag stuff as ALL of the AP stack. I warned my wife who drives our 2023 MYLR to not accept that available update and explained the "why" behind it. The thing has been staring me in the face for months now because I don't want to deal with the nags I've read about. I didn't realize that this was different between AP/EAP/FSD. Looks like deciding to not reward the bad behavior and false claims associated w/FSD has pad off once again.

Upvote 0
That's great news for us then, actually. I really was reading all of this holiday update nag stuff as ALL of the AP stack. I warned my wife who drives our 2023 MYLR to not accept that available update and explained the "why" behind it. The thing has been staring me in the face for months now because I don't want to deal with the nags I've read about. I didn't realize that this was different between AP/EAP/FSD. Looks like deciding to not reward the bad behavior and false claims associated w/FSD has pad off once again.
I think you should update. There are a lot of other improvements that have come along.

One further note - there is a difference with the wheel torque nag, besides a change in its alert location on the screen. As soon as you activate, it will ask for a hand on the wheel, whereas before it would wait a little. The remedy remains to apply a consistent torque.

Reactions: richyrich
Upvote 0
I did a little camera testing in my base AP equipped 2023 Model 3.

Autosteer works just fine with the camera covered and reverts to a purely time-based nag, prompting you to register your attention on the steering wheel at exactly 25 second intervals.

If you leave the camera uncovered and are generally driving like you're supposed to, head up and eyes straight ahead, you can go much longer without any nag at all, like well over a minute. With the trade-off of it being much more sensitive to you looking down, messing with your phone or the MCU display, etc.

Which scenario is more "naggy" is somewhat dependent on your specific habits and driving conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: dn325ci
Upvote 0
In FSD, I found that if I play with the scroll wheels I can go without the wheel tug for 4 to 10 min. I have a hard time getting the right amount of torque on the wheel. If I keep my hands on the wheel relaxed I get a 'torque the wheel' nag. I just hate having to turn the wheel when I don't want the car to go to the side. It just doesn't feel natural. The scroll wheels work better for me. It gets far less "naggy' when you keep your eyes on the road. It's actually not as bad. Honestly though, FSD is still so unpredictable and needs intervention in too many situations to not pay attention.

Upvote 0
In FSD, I found that if I play with the scroll wheels I can go without the wheel tug for 4 to 10 min. I have a hard time getting the right amount of torque on the wheel. If I keep my hands on the wheel relaxed I get a 'torque the wheel' nag. I just hate having to turn the wheel when I don't want the car to go to the side. It just doesn't feel natural. The scroll wheels work better for me. It gets far less "naggy' when you keep your eyes on the road. It's actually not as bad. Honestly though, FSD is still so unpredictable and needs intervention in too many situations to not pay attention.
Try just using one hand on the wheel. Two hands balance each other out, no torque.

Upvote 0
Try just using one hand on the wheel. Two hands balance each other out, no torque.
I understand what you mean. But in order to do that I would have to put the hand very low. If I try to keep it where it's supposed to be (around 3 or 9 o'clock), the weight of the hand is too much which means I have to hold the arm up. With both hands it's balanced and relaxed and how it's supposed to be. It comes down to Tesla's method of using torque to detect hands on wheel. Just not the best way to do it.

Upvote 0
I understand what you mean. But in order to do that I would have to put the hand very low. If I try to keep it where it's supposed to be (around 3 or 9 o'clock), the weight of the hand is too much which means I have to hold the arm up. With both hands it's balanced and relaxed and how it's supposed to be. It comes down to Tesla's method of using torque to detect hands on wheel. Just not the best way to do it.
Hmm, I guess different people hands that have vastly different weight. I use the one hand method when using AP. Typically my right elbow is on the center armrest and my right hand is either lightly gripping the steering wheel at around 5 O'clock or the spoke at 3 O'clock (I find myself alternating between the two positions). I also sometimes do the exact same thing with the left arm, using the door armrest. Doing this I pretty much never get any nags and my arm is not fatigued during long drives because I'm basically resting my forearm and hand on the armrest and steering wheel.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Upvote 0
Geez. A looonnnnggg time ago I drank the Koolaid on software updates; for Windows, Androids, iPhones, and, yes, Teslas.

The 2018 M3 LR RWD the SO and I got back in 9/2018 came with EAP (by accident, but what the heck). Bought (for relative cheapsies) FSD in 2019 or something, and have been running FSD-b for most of two years now.

Yes, during the beta program, there were some times when the nagging wasn't working well; particularly on a trip between NJ and FL and back. But it's gotten loads better since then. I chug around with cameras and all turned on and, while getting a bit of a blue flash from time to time, my usual bit of keeping eyes mostly out the windows during the usual driving scan and keeping either one hand or two on the steering wheel, while subconsciously moving the wheel back and forth, does the trick.

As to those who are afraid of Big Brother: I've actually read the verbiage that talks about the monitoring that Tesla does. Unlike most of these legalistic documents, Tesla swears that they don't sell or give any of the recorded data that they do collect to anybody. They further state that the cabin camera only sends data to Tesla in case of a serious accident. Other stuff, like literally improving the self-driving aspects of the car, are understandable. Since, with FSD, I'd like for the system to move out of Beta, I'm all for that.

And I get the serious accident stuff. For one thing, current Tesla software will, if enabled, will call 911 in the event of a major accident, complete with count-down timer. For another.. The world has a limitless collection of fools, both normal and criminal, who Do Things to Teslas, then attempt to blame their foolery on the company. Because, don't-cha-know, deep pockets. (A brief walk through memory lane has a passenger blowing holes in the floor with a shotgun; people reading books when their cars crash; people playing hand-held video games while their cars crash; and similar.)

I only wish that the terms of use by my ISP, or Windows, or Office, or Android, or iOS, were that restrictive.

I know that what-about-ism is a false standard to run by, but it's well known that Ford and, in particular, GM both charge you for connectivity and sell your data as fast as they can flip a nickel. CU did an expose on that kind of thing.. and they did not mention Tesla in their complaints.

The one and only complaint about Tesla's security on this issue was that employees of Tesla, within the company, were accessing the videos. And said employees were not in the crowd doing EAP/FSD/AP development. Outside the company delivery? Nope. Did it get shut down? You betcha. In the annals of nefarious evil, this incident was not on the list.

So, what's all the anxiety, anyway?

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
Geez. A looonnnnggg time ago I drank the Koolaid on software updates; for Windows, Androids, iPhones, and, yes, Teslas.

The 2018 M3 LR RWD the SO and I got back in 9/2018 came with EAP (by accident, but what the heck). Bought (for relative cheapsies) FSD in 2019 or something, and have been running FSD-b for most of two years now.

Yes, during the beta program, there were some times when the nagging wasn't working well; particularly on a trip between NJ and FL and back. But it's gotten loads better since then. I chug around with cameras and all turned on and, while getting a bit of a blue flash from time to time, my usual bit of keeping eyes mostly out the windows during the usual driving scan and keeping either one hand or two on the steering wheel, while subconsciously moving the wheel back and forth, does the trick.

As to those who are afraid of Big Brother: I've actually read the verbiage that talks about the monitoring that Tesla does. Unlike most of these legalistic documents, Tesla swears that they don't sell or give any of the recorded data that they do collect to anybody. They further state that the cabin camera only sends data to Tesla in case of a serious accident. Other stuff, like literally improving the self-driving aspects of the car, are understandable. Since, with FSD, I'd like for the system to move out of Beta, I'm all for that.

And I get the serious accident stuff. For one thing, current Tesla software will, if enabled, will call 911 in the event of a major accident, complete with count-down timer. For another.. The world has a limitless collection of fools, both normal and criminal, who Do Things to Teslas, then attempt to blame their foolery on the company. Because, don't-cha-know, deep pockets. (A brief walk through memory lane has a passenger blowing holes in the floor with a shotgun; people reading books when their cars crash; people playing hand-held video games while their cars crash; and similar.)

I only wish that the terms of use by my ISP, or Windows, or Office, or Android, or iOS, were that restrictive.

I know that what-about-ism is a false standard to run by, but it's well known that Ford and, in particular, GM both charge you for connectivity and sell your data as fast as they can flip a nickel. CU did an expose on that kind of thing.. and they did not mention Tesla in their complaints.

The one and only complaint about Tesla's security on this issue was that employees of Tesla, within the company, were accessing the videos. And said employees were not in the crowd doing EAP/FSD/AP development. Outside the company delivery? Nope. Did it get shut down? You betcha. In the annals of nefarious evil, this incident was not on the list.

So, what's all the anxiety, anyway?
Not everyone is refusing the update due to conspiracy theory reasons.

Upvote 0
No WiFi? Just tether with your phone. As you avoid updates, remember that not every single change is going to be listed (esp with Tesla) and some of those may be considered safety related and yes, avoiding a single update means having to avoid every subsequent update after. Do you really want to do that? Why get a Tesla in the first place then? If something happens due to an issue that would've been fixed by an update, you have no legal recourse and carry a large burden of blame. Posting it on a forum helps too....

Yes, just sell it.

I'm now awaiting TWO 'safety' recalls to be pushed over LTE to me. If it is important, tesla will push it. They have done so in the past.

Sure I could use my own cell data to update my car but I don't have unlimited amounts of data (cell data is expensive in Canada and I've opted to spend extra money on Premium Connectivity to get the prettier maps and access to Spotify and Tune-in in my car's UI.) Since tesla doesn't inform me of how large each update is, I have no idea if an update will trigger overage costs for me or fail to download if it hits the cut-off I've put on my phone to make sure I don't have to pay for overages.

Most of the time, we go to the tesla SC and use their wifi to download.

But what you've ignored in all of this is that my TIME is worth money. Three downloads represents at least 90 minutes of my time to download 3 updates (not to mention the install time.) I have to move my car to another place to do that and I'd have to lock my car into the car or stay with the car in order while this is happening. And those 3 updates were just for the holiday update. At some point I'll also have to download the latest one.

This is not convenient.

So I don't do it unless it is a change I want to have. (Or I need service, in which case the tesla SC does it for me.)

At this point, despite the latest up date now included a separate NHTSA recall, I still haven't had either of them pushed to me, nor has tesla given me an incentive to do the update. When a stable v12 comes along, I'll probably update, but until then, I'm not about to waste my time just to help careless programmers smooth over their mistakes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm now awaiting TWO 'safety' recalls to be pushed over LTE to me. If it is important, tesla will push it. They have done so in the past.

Sure I could use my own cell data to update my car but I don't have unlimited amounts of data (cell data is expensive in Canada and I've opted to spend extra money on Premium Connectivity to get the prettier maps and access to Spotify and Tune-in in my car's UI.) Since tesla doesn't inform me of how large each update is, I have no idea if an update will trigger overage costs for me or fail to download if it hits the cut-off I've put on my phone to make sure I don't have to pay for overages.

Most of the time, we go to the tesla SC and use their wifi to download.

But what you've ignored in all of this is that my TIME is worth money. Three downloads represents at least 90 minutes of my time to download 3 updates (not to mention the install time.) I have to move my car to another place to do that and I'd have to lock my car into the car or stay with the car in order while this is happening. And those 3 updates were just for the holiday update. At some point I'll also have to download the latest one.

This is not convenient.

So I don't do it unless it is a change I want to have. (Or I need service, in which case the tesla SC does it for me.)

At this point, despite the latest up date now included a separate NHTSA recall, I still haven't had either of them pushed to me, nor has tesla given me an incentive to do the update. When a stable v12 comes along, I'll probably update, but until then, I'm not about to waste my time just to help careless programmers smooth over their mistakes.
Go find a McDonalds with free Wifi. Or one of the many other solutions

Upvote 0
Go find a McDonalds with free Wifi. Or one of the many other solutions
A fair number of newer superchargers have a free wi-fi that the cars automatically connect to. I did an update in South Carolina that way. Not sure, but in the app and in the car that ‘info’ pop-up one gets when tapping a particular Supercharger icon says when wi-fi is available.

Upvote 0