Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever been REALLY broke? Tell us a story.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I'm sure most of us have had a time in our lives when we were REALLY BROKE. The level of brokeness where you just have to laugh and think of how you can afford nothing, and even gas or food money for the week is a big problem.

Yep, I've had times like those, and as much as it sucked then, I look back on it now and wish I could re-live it, I'm sure I could do better, at least if I had the sense to get into computer and data center work years before I actually did, and learned how to write a well formatted resume and "adjust the facts" to get better jobs quicker.

I was never the type to go out to bars, or drink, or smoke, or vape, or get tattoos, or put big chrome wheels and a loud stereo on whatever vehicle I had, so money never got wasted on that stuff. I was broke in spite of not having those expenses, and being single and no kids or anything!

Here's one of my favorite stories from a time when I was exploring the depths of utter brokeness and financial despair:

Back in the winter of '04-'05, I was BROKE ASS BROKE. I was at such a profound level of brokeness, it could have been studied in colleges. And in my apartment I had, EVERYTHING needed power, like the HEAT, the water heater, the stove, and my computer for the internet! So having no power meant you could only sit in a cold dark apartment and muse over what a failure you were.

I called the power company, asked for a payment plan, told them I had no heat in winter, they didn't care. They wouldn't even take a partial payment, it was all or nothing.

A couple days later, I was outside, staring at my dead power meter (not a smart meter, remember this was in 2004) in absolute frustration, and wondering how I was going to get my power back on. Then..... what's this? What is this little plastic cover next to the meter? Flipped it up and... it is my main 100 amp breaker!!!

So, I did what anyone would do, I flipped it on, and went back inside to check. I had power again! I cranked my heat up, got online, and marveled at my cleverness.

A few days later, the power company must have come by and flipped the breaker off, so whatever, I flipped it back on and I put a lock over the plastic cover. I need heat.

Eventually, I got back to work, made money, and paid my power bill. The crotchety old woman who managed the apartment complex threw a fit, she was all like "You're stealing power!!!". NO I'm not, I am paying for it, as soon as I get the cash, and I did. Calm down.

A year later she didn't renew my lease and I had to move, but hey, I did what I had to do. I have no regrets. :)

Tell us a story of your hard times!

Reactions: GWord
I was the only child of a single mother who let dependency control her life. We never had a home with air conditioning and heat in the winter months was a luxury as most months the bills weren't paid. I never knew what holidays, gifts or vacations were. I was homeless numerous times in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. My mom had a habit of finding abusive drug addict & alcoholic boyfriends. I was working full time in my early teens because if I didn't, I didn't have clothes for school or food. I didn't get the indulgence of having a childhood.

I was lucky to survive to adulthood and I won't apologize for the successful life that I've created for myself because I'm the picture of the American dream IMO. If you work you're smart, work your ass off and do right by others you'll create a wonderful life for yourself regardless of where or how you started your adventure.

Rarely will you catch me in a bad mood and rarely do I have bad days because I know that no matter how bad it seems temporarily, it's nothing like what I've survived. It's made me annoyingly positive in all situations and I truly appreciate how tough things were coming up because it molded the man I've become who sleeps well at night knowing that he's self-made.

I'm proof that you can complain and find excuses to not try and not succeed or you can decide that, no matter the obstacle, you're going to smash every hurdle in your path to attain your goals. I'm content with my choice.

Reactions: GWord