Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken Tesla to small claims court?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m done with all the games and being ignored by the Tesla Burbank service center, and intend on taking them to small claims over an ongoing issue with my Model 3.

TL;DR: after first trying to pawn off a car as “in spec” then later backtracking, I’ve finally gotten to a “new car” that’s had body work and a poor paint job, devaluing the car at no fault of my own.

I opted out of arbitration when I bought the car. My question is, when sueing a specific Tesla location, do name and serve Tesla corporate or do I put down Tesla Burbank and process serve the service manager as the representative?

Anyone with experience on this front?

I’m done with all the games and being ignored by the Tesla Burbank service center, and intend on taking them to small claims over an ongoing issue with my Model 3.

TL;DR: after first trying to pawn off a car as “in spec” then later backtracking, I’ve finally gotten to a “new car” that’s had body work and a poor paint job, devaluing the car at no fault of my own.

I opted out of arbitration when I bought the car. My question is, when sueing a specific Tesla location, do name and serve Tesla corporate or do I put down Tesla Burbank and process serve the service manager as the representative?

They have a Legal department. I would have your attorney send them a letter first. If that does not get you the desired response, you have some leverage because you opted out of arbitration.

What are you hoping to get from them? Is small-claims really the appropriate venue for a $50K+ vehicle?

They have a Legal department. I would have your attorney send them a letter first.

This is the best way to do it. Contact the Tesla's legal department, send them your demand letter (with the details) and your contract. Just the lay out facts and no emotion. Tell them what you want in dollars.

I would get results in a few days (at the most). Of course, I had a good agreement that was worded in my favor. Car agreements, written by the manufacturer, are designed to protect themselves (from you).

The service center people are just employees and can not answer anything legal related. Small claims court in california is limited to $10,000. So it is not the correct venue.

So just FYI - just because there was some minor body work and/or paint issues done, does NOT mean you have a claim. In fact, there's a threshold under which it doesn't need to be reported to the purchaser at all. I would guess Tesla would claim they are not material defects under the vehicle code below:

Codes Display Text

I wish you luck but this will be a difficult road.

Reactions: pjensen
Corporate but as others said, contact their legal team.

I’ve had my attorney negotiate successfully on vehicles with issues going down that avenue with them.

One did end up going through a lemon law court filing but got resolved within days of filing after we called their bluff.