Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven to Cabo San Lucas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you have the map

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.07.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.07.png
    122 KB · Views: 273
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.21.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.21.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.32.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.32.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.46.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-02-19 a la(s) 20.53.46.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 154
Yep. We have toured 25 of the 31 Mexican States (plus Federal District) in a small motorhome. Fun trip down to Cabo. The peninsula lacks the history of the mainland but has its own charm. Still the same fantastic country and people. Probably my favourite spot on the Peninsula is Todos Santos. Not familiar with charging opportunities but most RV parks only have 20 to 30 amp 115 ish service. Hotels will have 120 service. Don’t be in a rush. Watch for livestock. Don’t travel at night as it is open grazing (no fences) in many places and animals hang out on the road at night.

How’s your Spanish?

As of the beginning of this year, there are strategically placed Tesla destination chargers all the way down Baja 1. I am considering making the trip. I have contacted yesterday all the hotels with the chargers to be sure they are in place and working. I have been answered positively by all the hotels!
Gene, keep us posted on any Tesla destination chargers along Hwy 1. I have made probably 3 dozen round trips (Tecate - Los Cabos) over the last 15 years, but always in a hybrid. Would really like to try it in my model 3. We usually spend the night in Guerrero Negro. Any destination chargers in that town?

Be careful driving over the "topes" and through the "vados" in a Tesla - slow and easy is the trick!

Last edited:
Reactions: IdaX
Gene, keep us posted on any Tesla destination chargers along Hwy 1. I have made probably 3 dozen round trips (Tecate - Los Cabos) over the last 15 years, but always in a hybrid. Would really like to try it in my model 3. We usually spend the night in Guerrero Negro. Any destination chargers in that town?

Be careful driving over the "topes" and through the "vados" in a Tesla - slow and easy is the trick!
You can look on Tesla's website and find the list of destination chargers. As well, they are all listed on Plugshare. Note that on plugshare there may be some confusing listing the San Ignacio charger with an address in Mulege. No worries, it really is certainly in San Ignacio and working!

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
This is cabo now, very different since 1975 jaja

I know its very different now vs the 70s…

Besides my dad driving down to Cabo in '74, we used to go down to Cabo about once a year for several years in the 70s. We would either fly in my dad's plane, landing at the Hotel Cabo San Lucas' airstrip, or we would fly commercially to La Paz, and the hotel would pick us up in their plane -- a DC-3.

The Hotel Cabo San Lucas apparently closed in 2004 -- and I'm glad I got to visit it one last time on a trip in the 90s (we didn't stay there, but stopped in for a quick visit…) It was about 1/2 way between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Looks like the property was re-developed and is now the Chilean Bay Resort. But back in the 70s, the hotel had its own airstrip (a few hotels also had theirs -- the Palmilla was the other "big" hotel there back then, and still survives…

Man, we need to go back!

I've been doing Baja more than 35 years. Every inch of it including the tiny villages in the mountains such as the Comundus. I'm still inching to do the drive all the way down, hoping schedule permits. The down side to it is normally I go for a month, always camping, and hanging out at some of my secret beaches. A quick Tesla trip would involve staying in hotels which is not the high-point of Baja.

if you are bored enough, here's a rather fun video of my 2012 trip. At least hang out long enough for the gray whales:

Hello German- thank you for your information. Are there any Tesla SuperChargers near the Los Cabo area?
I am in Los Cabos at the moment and come here about 4 times a year. Yesterday I saw a Model X with Mexican plates fly by me on the 4 lane highway connecting San Lucas and San Jose (I'm driving a rental car). There are no Superchargers in the Los Cabos area (but some reported destination chargers) and no Superchargers anywhere in Baja California. I am going to walk over to the Cabo Hilton this morning and check out their destination charger and see what's up.

Until Superchargers are built along Hwy. 1 from Tijuana to Los Cabos, I am thinking about shipping my 3MR down on a flatbed truck (there are several local companies that do it all the time with satisfied gringo customers - cost around US$1K one way). I can charge it every night at my casa on a NEMA 14-50 connection. The Model 3 would be perfect for the Los Cabos/La Paz area, but I would worry about some of the vicious potholes and ultra tall "topes."

Having driven the entire length of Hwy 1, 30+ times over the years, I figure the best Supercharger configuration initially for Baja California would be a single charger with two connections powered by solar panels and a Powerwall at the following locations: Tijuana, Ensenada, San Quintin, Guererro Negro, Loreto, La Paz, and Los Cabos.

Last edited:
I am in Los Cabos at the moment and come here about 4 times a year. Yesterday I saw a Model X with Mexican plates fly by me on the 4 lane highway connecting San Lucas and San Jose (I'm driving a rental car). There are no Superchargers in the Los Cabos area (but some reported destination chargers) and no Superchargers anywhere in Baja California. I am going to walk over to the Cabo Hilton this morning and check out their destination charger and see what's up.

Until Superchargers are built along Hwy. 1 from Tijuana to Los Cabos, I am thinking about shipping my 3MR down on a flatbed truck (there are several local companies that do it all the time with satisfied gringo customers - cost around US$1K one way). I can charge it every night at my casa on a NEMA 14-50 connection. The Model 3 would be perfect for the Los Cabos/La Paz area, but I would worry about some of the vicious potholes and ultra tall "topes."

Having driven the entire length of Hwy 1, 30+ times over the years, I figure the best Supercharger configuration initially for Baja California would be a single charger with two connections powered by solar panels and a Powerwall at the following locations: Tijuana, Ensenada, San Quintin, Guererro Negro, Loreto, La Paz, and Los Cabos.
There are many perfectly located Destination Chargers all the way down Baja. These were strategically installed in December 2018 or January 2019. Look on Plugshare map, you will see them.

I drove my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 (gas) from L.A. to Cabo over Y2K holiday (12/31/2000). Definitely a LONG drive with many miles of desert but the road along the Pacific Ocean and even more so the Sea of Cortez are beautiful unspoiled & unoccupied. Main highway was in great shape, secondary roads so-so and remote roads were from good to OMG washboard / pothole bad, especially the unpaved road along the Sea of Cortez. So glad we had a Jeep Off Road package for more ground clearance and better shocks.

Not sure I'd do it today with all the crime happening in Mexico now. Maybe in a group, but definitely not solo IMHO.

Curious what posters here think about that. I’m anxious to try this trip in my S but my girlfriend will not accompany me anywhere in Mexico. :(
My 28 year old daughter just got back from a two weeks camping trip along the coasts. Loved it.

I have been traveling Baja for over 35 years. I even know the tiny mountain villages. I always feel safe in Baja. Baja feels safer than most US cities. I wish I could remember where I read it, but supposedly USA police kill more innocent people than the cartels in Mexico.

Over on the mainland, not such a safe feeling. My travels through Sinaloa have been iffy.

What would be the reason for this. Does an American Tesla lose its warranty when driving into Canada? How about the other way around. Weird.
I'm not aware that there have ever been issues driving a Tesla between the US and Canada for short-term visits! Well, maybe some cellular connectivity issues in the early days, but that's about it.

Several years ago, I believe that Tesla did not want US and Canadian cars to be taken into Mexico at least in part because of the lack of service/support and EV infrastructure down there. Nowadays, with tesla.com showing a number of destination chargers in Mexico near the border, it seems reasonable to assume that Tesla has no issue per se with US/Canadian cars visiting Mexico. It still wouldn't hurt to verify this with Tesla.