Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Hard to Connect Charger After Replacing Charge Port Pin Deadfronts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2018 LR Model 3 in to a Tesla service center to get the tires rotated, and to give it a once over. While it was in, they replaced the charge port pin deadfronts as part of SB-18-44-010.

SB-18-44-010 details here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

Now when I plug in my HPWC, I really have to push. Curious if anyone else has seen this, and if that's just the way it is with the new parts.

The pin on the left seems like a small amount of plastic might be sticking up above the metal pin, but it's hard to tell.
Model3_Deadfronts.jpg

Anyone else experience this?

Later,
MF

Reactions: akidesir
I had my 2018 LR Model 3 in to a Tesla service center to get the tires rotated, and to give it a once over. While it was in, they replaced the charge port pin deadfronts as part of SB-18-44-010.

SB-18-44-010 details here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154509-9999.pdf

Now when I plug in my HPWC, I really have to push. Curious if anyone else has seen this, and if that's just the way it is with the new parts.

The pin on the left seems like a small amount of plastic might be sticking up above the metal pin, but it's hard to tell.
View attachment 463553

Anyone else experience this?

Later,
MF
Yes!! I have the same issue, but upon looking inside my UMC, I see what looks like a black ring of build up where the metal meets those black isolator pins. Going to try and clean it, will report back if it helps.