Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree. Looks like a tiny-tick faster.... but not meaningfully different. And requires "Battery warming.." What am I missing? Dropping from 3.1 - 2.8 secs is 10%. I would think we could see that better. Perhaps from 60-90 acceleration?

Maybe Tesla had good results with a 1 foot rollout; so they upped it to a 2 foot rollout for better results? :)

I have to agree. Looks like a tiny-tick faster.... but not meaningfully different. And requires "Battery warming.." What am I missing? Dropping from 3.1 - 2.8 secs is 10%. I would think we could see that better. Perhaps from 60-90 acceleration?

It does look like the left side starts briefly before the right. If you look at the power to the right shortly before, the line is wider. It's not going to make a huge difference, but we are talking fractions of a second difference to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed people at work to try to get ahold of a VBOX this week. Hopefully someone will come through and we can get more information.

It wasn't turned on when I was charging

But if you used it before charging it may not have cooled down sufficiently to not affect charge rates.

Did you drive around doing launches and then drive to the supercharger? Or did you let the car cool off for several hours and then gently drive to the supercharger?

There is a lot of thermal mass in that battery pack. Heating it up to max and then charging will limit your supercharging rate for some time to come.

But if you used it before charging it may not have cooled down sufficiently to not affect charge rates.

I forget if it was on or not, it has stayed on during charging before... I think, so it being off I don't think I had it on. Just before I charged I did drove to kill off 170 rated miles so the car had been used a bit. Do we know if other data collected was after driving of if it was cold?

I forget if it was on or not, it has stayed on during charging before... I think, so it being off I don't think I had it on. Just before I charged I did drove to kill off 170 rated miles so the car had been used a bit. Do we know if other data collected was after driving of if it was cold?

The 85 doesn't have a max power mode so it keeps the battery at a lower temp even when driving. If you want to see maximum charging rate I'm saying you might have to avoid max power mode for several hours, maybe even a day depending on how hot it is outside. You've got the car so you'll have to experiment to see how long it takes to cool off.

Something seems wrong.

It looks like both cars are adding kWh at almost the same rate.

Supercharging Charging Rate 90D vs 85D.png

I have a couple of questions for everyone (not necessarily for Pete90D) related to the 0-70 launch, regen, and whether or not that may be being affected by this new "Max Battery Power" setting.

In the 0-70 launch video, before the launch regen is limited to 45 kW, presumably because of the high SOC. I'm wondering, though, if the Max Battery Power" could also have had an impact on that. In other words, would the regen limit have existed at the exact same SOC if Max Battery Power had not been enabled?

During the launch the regen limit disappeared, as power was used. But after hitting 70 MPH, and presumably then releasing the go pedal completely (I guess it is possible that's not what Pete90D did, but I think it is reasonable to assume he did, until he tells us otherwise) the regen only went up to a hair over 30 kW. I haven't paid that close attention to the regen bar in other launch videos, so perhaps that is normal, but just from what my P85D does in normal driving, that 30 kW seems awfully low. I could be wrong, but I expected to see the regen close to the max in that situation. So again, assuming that I'm correct about the release of the Go pedal, and the normal regen levels in that situation, the question is does Max Battery Power limit reduce regen without showing a limitation line?

I'm starting to wonder if Tesla plan on upping the power of the P90D with a software update (as they did with the 85D.
Perhaps they're still testing the parameters of the drivetrain with the new fuses in place.

You clearly cant compare 0-60 times with vids such as these, but for sure the power meter is still sat on or about 480KW.
If the display is accurate I'm not seeing a quarter in the 10's ...yet.

I have a couple of questions for everyone (not necessarily for Pete90D) related to the 0-70 launch, regen, and whether or not that may be being affected by this new "Max Battery Power" setting.

In the 0-70 launch video, before the launch regen is limited to 45 kW, presumably because of the high SOC. I'm wondering, though, if the Max Battery Power" could also have had an impact on that. In other words, would the regen limit have existed at the exact same SOC if Max Battery Power had not been enabled?

During the launch the regen limit disappeared, as power was used. But after hitting 70 MPH, and presumably then releasing the go pedal completely (I guess it is possible that's not what Pete90D did, but I think it is reasonable to assume he did, until he tells us otherwise) the regen only went up to a hair over 30 kW. I haven't paid that close attention to the regen bar in other launch videos, so perhaps that is normal, but just from what my P85D does in normal driving, that 30 kW seems awfully low. I could be wrong, but I expected to see the regen close to the max in that situation. So again, assuming that I'm correct about the release of the Go pedal, and the normal regen levels in that situation, the question is does Max Battery Power limit reduce regen without showing a limitation line?

I had regen set to low because I had seen something somewhere about doing that for the drag strip. I can't see how it would make a difference for acceleration, but I did it just incase.

Does turning on range mode help launches at all?

Last edited:
That's so funny that it is "Preparing..." It means they've actually watched Spaceballs... I still haven't found an uncool person that references Spaceballs...

There should be an option that plays the audio "Ludicrous speed GO!" when you floor it

Watching the clip just now, there's a part where they say it is too dangerous to slow down. In the past 2 days I've had two cases on the interstate where that was pretty damn true. It accelerates fast enough that having a car move over can be more problematic. One time it took everything in my leg to get the car to slow down to not have to hit the shoulder or the car.

So yeah... this!
Gone In 60 Seconds, best scene - YouTube

Last edited:
I had regen set to low because I had seen something somewhere about doing that for the drag strip. I can't see how it would make a difference for acceleration, but I did it just incase.

That's actually funny.

Funny because I'm guessing what you may have seen was a video (or a related post elsewhere) from this thread and post:

World's Greatest Tesla Model S P85D Review Series Videos - Page 4

In the video the poster had set regen to low at the dragstrip. He was racing multiple times. The very next post in the thread is my asking why he'd set regen to low, when it wouldn't have an affect on the acceleration, and when it would have a negative affect on keeping his SOC as high as possible while at the strip, and running multiple times without the ability to charge. He, and others, agreed. Someone else pointed out that he may have been confused by what people do when track racing. In those situations they set regen to low to delay the heat limitation warnings.

I should have realized you just had regen set to low.

That's actually funny.

Funny because I'm guessing what you may have seen was a video (or a related post elsewhere) from this thread and post:

World's Greatest Tesla Model S P85D Review Series Videos - Page 4

In the video the poster had set regen to low at the dragstrip. He was racing multiple times. The very next post in the thread is my asking why he'd set regen to low, when it wouldn't have an affect on the acceleration, and when it would have a negative affect on keeping his SOC as high as possible while at the strip, and running multiple times without the ability to charge. He, and others, agreed. Someone else pointed out that he may have been confused by what people do when track racing. In those situations they set regen to low to delay the heat limitation warnings.

I should have realized you just had regen set to low.

Yeah the heat part made sense. I did this a few miles from where I charged so I was trying to limit heat as much as possible beyond the max power option and thought it was worth a try even if it didn't do anything.

I'm starting to wonder if Tesla plan on upping the power of the P90D with a software update (as they did with the 85D.
Perhaps they're still testing the parameters of the drivetrain with the new fuses in place.

You clearly cant compare 0-60 times with vids such as these, but for sure the power meter is still sat on or about 480KW.
If the display is accurate I'm not seeing a quarter in the 10's ...yet.
Groundhog Day?

0  to 70  P90D  from utoob for TMC.jpg

I've been analysing Pete's video with interest. Below is the result of doing a series of screen grabs and layering them with photoshop in order to work out the elapsed time between key changes in the indicated to speed and to obtain best approximations of the usual key performance figures. Obviously this isn't an exact science, or better than a VBOX, but the results are likely to be useful none the less. Luckily the battery was at near 100% too.

As you can see, I've divided the time bar up into 1/10 ths of a second and obtained the following approx figures along the elapsed time bar :-

0-30mph in 1.28 seconds
0-60mph in 3.05 seconds
0-70mph in 4.00 seconds

30-60mph in 1.77 seconds
30-70mph in 2.72 seconds.

Conclusion:- Its seriously damn quick, and fairly well matches recorded figures for a 458 Italia and a Mclaren F1.

*IF* 0.25 seconds were to be removed in a 1ft roll-out then the 0-60mph could be around 2.8 seconds …

( Sources:- McLaren F1 acceleration times - AccelerationTimes.com )

Caveats:-

There's plenty of observations like the fact Pete conveniently stomps on the pedal at 1.0s, but that it takes nearly 2 seconds for the indicated power to hit 480kw. There's bound to be some lag in the displayed numbers but it should be a consistent lag across the range. I suspect the cars software is profiling the power delivery and possibly keeping traction in check also. The exact point the car starts moving is hard to precisely work out but I believe the error is quite a bit less than the 0.2 / 0.3 second loss of doing a 1ft roll-out. I also noticed that the youtube stream had a couple of dropped frames. And various other minor points. etc etc But until its vbox'ed, I believe this is a useful indication of performance.

Last edited: