Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripes about the Beta interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fighting human nature though, which is always a losing battle. People are going come to the car, open the door, slide in, throw their XYZ item into a bin, and take off. Very few are going to be willing to retrain themselves to open the frunk each time to place in the items. It's a better, from a design viewpoint, to create something that works with human nature. The center space may work well for it, I'll just have to see it in person.

No, not the frunk. I meant the bin. I think if you're going to throw something on the seat anyway, it's probably safer in that bin under the dashboard.

That's fighting human nature though, which is always a losing battle. People are going come to the car, open the door, slide in, throw their XYZ item into a bin, and take off. Very few are going to be willing to retrain themselves to open the frunk each time to place in the items. It's a better, from a design viewpoint, to create something that works with human nature. The center space may work well for it, I'll just have to see it in person.

I may have misread it, but I think Doug was saying the center console is a better place than the seats (not the frunk)

*edit* that's what happens when u leave a thread open and reply late. Sorry doug

No, not the frunk. I meant the bin. I think if you're going to throw something on the seat anyway, it's probably safer in that bin under the dashboard.

Well I for one don't throw stuff on my seat unless it's when transporting something big that I am too lazy to put into the trunk. But what about smaller items like change, phones, phone chargers, pens, etc? I suppose I'll place a lot of these things in the glove compartment, though it's certainly not as accessible while driving (grabbing the charger for your phone, or getting change for a toll, and so on).

Last edited:
my dog would hop right over that storage space on the floor and into the drivers footwell...100% he prefers to sit up front but may now have to get some sort of fence to contain him into the back seats.

my dog would hop right over that storage space on the floor and into the drivers footwell...100% he prefers to sit up front but may now have to get some sort of fence to contain him into the back seats.

You probably won't need a full fence if a center console is enough to keep him on the passenger's side now - maybe just a low bolster pillow?

(My dogs would happily sit on my lap if I let them, center console or no, forget the footwell. But they're always banned to the back. So they take turns poking their noses thru and laying their head on my shoulder. They like to think they're helping me drive.)

You probably won't need a full fence if a center console is enough to keep him on the passenger's side now - maybe just a low bolster pillow?

(My dogs would happily sit on my lap if I let them, center console or no, forget the footwell. But they're always banned to the back. So they take turns poking their noses thru and laying their head on my shoulder. They like to think they're helping me drive.)

Right now my dog attempts to climb into my lap a few times before the car is in motion, After a few failed attempts he happily is willing to sit in the passenger seat for the rest of the trip. A pillow may work but I think he will see the path of least resistance and try to jump into the drivers footwell and into my lap. On a related note, the problem I see with the Model X is that if I actually put the dog in the back seat (i.e. passenger in the front seat) I am not sure how I would be able to get the dog out without the risk of the dog running out into traffic when the doors open. With a conventional door mechanism, I can slowly open the door, tether the dog and extract him from the vehicle without risk that he will run out immediately, since the doors do not deploy fully when opened.

I'm apparently in a minority here, but I think that large storage "bin" between the front seats will be very useful! Some kind of storage organizer in the space might be useful, but I can think of several things that will "live" in there that have no place to go right now.

I, too, am looking forward to the open area. I get into the car every morning with my messenger bag containing my laptop and, perhaps, a file to two. Right now I open the rear door and put it in the footwell behind my seat. I'm thinking that it'll fit great in that area between the seats!

Just to show what could be done, here's the center console in a Honda pickup truck:

2008_honda_ridgeline_picture (24).jpg

The cushioned armrest lifts up to provide space for coins (even has a spring-loaded coin holder that's removable), small cables or a flashlight.

Also, the part with the cup holders slides forward to reveal more storage:

center.jpg

I had been thinking that this unit, while useful, is too crude for a Model S, but given what I've seen of the Model S interiors, if it were black, it'd pretty much fit right in.

I can tell that no matter how many pictures I see, I'm going to have to see the interior in person, sit in the car and see what it's like. Is there enough leg support without a true console when I'm in my "slouched" distance driving position? Is there enough space in a concealed spot for my wife to stuff her purse when we get out and walk along a beach (our current center console has space and locks with the key)?

I'll have to think of some scenarios like that and see how it feels.

My advice is never to leave anything in plain sight in a vehicle (like a purse) when you park it. IMHO, the frunk would be the perfect place to secure your wife's purse when you get out to go for a walk along a beach. Ted pointed out thieves can break into your car, but will NEVER have the intelligence to realize the frunk contains storage space -- not an ICE!

For me, this is what I have to have inside my vehicle when I'm driving: (going for an ICE drive now and will check what else I carry)
  1. iPhone plugged into USB to maintain charge.
  2. Radar detector plugged into 12 volt outlet under armrest to avoid speed traps.
  3. RFID device for tolls
  4. electric razor
  5. business card holder
  6. sunscreen bottle in summer
  7. his and hers umbrellas in winter
  8. son, wife's and my sunglasses cases
  9. glove compartment stuff like registration and proof of insurance.
  10. Since can access owner's manual from touchscreen, won't carry hard copy like I do now.

Where all the above will go is still an open issue for me. I plan to use the frunk to store my iPad, since I'll have the touchscreen in the vehicle. My wife will probably leave her purse in the center floor open storage area while we're driving.

Yeah, for me the only thing missing with the car is the style and quality of the interior. As a driver or passenger that's what you'd spend the most time interacting with, so that really needs to be at least at Audi level given the cost of the car. I think at the October Fremont event, Tesla said they had a 3rd party contractor to install the interiors on site.

I'm not trying to dig on Tesla, but the interior looks like it is miles behind the German manufacturers in many many ways. I suppose I will have to see it in person but at the prices these cars are going to sell at (and the many 'down-the-road' unknowns for buyers) the interior really needs to be a knockout, but it's just not doing it for me.

I'm not trying to dig on Tesla, but the interior looks like it is miles behind the German manufacturers in many many ways. I suppose I will have to see it in person but at the prices these cars are going to sell at (and the many 'down-the-road' unknowns for buyers) the interior really needs to be a knockout, but it's just not doing it for me.

Keep in mind that sticker prices (especially before considering gas savings) are very much influenced by battery cost, and will come down a lot over the next 10 years. (Not that it would necessarily help you at the moment, just to be fair towards the price).

TM might be miles behind in interior finish, but they are light years ahead in the overall package of delivering a first class, currently unparalleled electric vehicle.

There seem to be many nit-pickers here who feel that the interior package is more important than the overall EV package...a hint...get over it!...it's not!...and if you can't see this / don't realize this, go buy a gasser and spare the rest of us your nits :rolleyes:...am getting weary of reading comments about the Model S's interior shortcomings...wake up to the FACT that this car has NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BUY ONE WHO HAS BEEN DRIVING ELECTRIC FOR 15 MONTHS NOW AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!:smile::smile::love::love:

I agree. If you're turned off by the interior or it doesn't meet your standards, make sure you let Tesla know so they can improve it. It likely won't meet your needs with the launch version though and buying a car you're not happy with is probably not a good idea, especially for this amount of money. It is a package deal though and you have to take the good EV component and see if that outweighs what you don't like about it. If never having to go to a has station and having instant peak torque doesn't outweigh the lack of a slick, polished interior in your mind then I'd probably hold off on purchase until the interior becomes more refined.

I agree overall that we likely won't see many, if any, interior improvements and that everyone should plan their buying accordingly...

However, I think it's ridiculous to say we shouldn't have any gripes because it's an ev. Its a car. Tesla hit the nail on the head getting people to look at it as a car and not just an ev. Well... Now you're going to have to match other "cars" in your class.

WIth all that said, I'm over it and accepting of the interior as is. There's some things I'd rather see, but nothing that will stop me buying one.
Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express