Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripes about the Beta interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two interesting comments from a Tesla sales rep when I dropped by with my family today:
1) He claimed the lack of cup holders in the back seat are related to the challenges of getting 5 star crash ratings in all categories because they can become projectiles. It wasn't until I left that it occurred to me to wonder if he means the holders themselves or the contents. But this one seems pretty fishy to me. In our Highlander (Hybrid of course) the holders in the doors are well integrated into the door, so no way the holders at least could become projectiles. It's also hard to imagine the contents coming flying out but I suppose it's possible.
2) His other comment was about the 21" wheels effect on mileage... I posted the details in the appropriate thread here so as to avoid brining down the off-topic wrath of the mods. :wink:

Update 1: Removed comment about there now being a shade for the pano roof since by searching I see this was known before... I just somehow missed that news.

Last edited:
Two interesting comments from a Tesla sales rep when I dropped by with my family today:
1) He claimed the lack of cup holders in the back seat are related to the challenges of getting 5 star crash ratings in all categories because they can become projectiles. It wasn't until I left that it occurred to me to wonder if he means the holders themselves or the contents. But this one seems pretty fishy to me. In our Highlander (Hybrid of course) the holders in the doors are well integrated into the door, so no way the holders at least could become projectiles. It's also hard to imagine the contents coming flying out but I suppose it's possible.

If their reason for this is true, it would be the items acting as projectiles I'd imagine.

Looking at pictures of the two five star crash rated cars, the volvo and the camaro, i dont see much storage in the back on them either so there might be some truth to this. the volvo has cupholders in the fold down arm rest but that might be circumventing the crash test rules.
23663e57-e2b4-4d61-a223-1ee5fd992c70.jpg

imageinterior.png

The volvo seems to have a pocket behind the front seats and its located high up maybe to avoid knee injuries.
S60_interior_05.jpg

I call BS. The lack of storage if anything encourages people to leave more things out in the open (on seats, on the floor, etc.) that you have an even greater concern about your items becoming projectiles in the Model S.

I hear what you are saying, but we all know that the government rarely runs tests that make sense anyway. They would simply say that it should be written in the manual not to leave stuff in the car that can potentially be a projectile. But if you put a cupholder there, then it's implied that you can put a cup there regardless of what is written in an instruction manual. Not that I agree or disagree, just explaining how they justify the analysis of their tests as I understand it.

I hear what you are saying, but we all know that the government rarely runs tests that make sense anyway. They would simply say that it should be written in the manual not to leave stuff in the car that can potentially be a projectile. But if you put a cupholder there, then it's implied that you can put a cup there regardless of what is written in an instruction manual. Not that I agree or disagree, just explaining how they justify the analysis of their tests as I understand it.

That's what I was thinking as well. In bureaucracies, one time incidents can become national policies. If even once someone hit the brakes hard and a Big Gulp in a rear seat cup holder flew into the front distracting a driver, then it could easily become policy that rear cup holders can cause accidents.